Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you like the most about model rocketry?
Designing 3 15.79%
Building 5 26.32%
Collecting 2 10.53%
Flying 4 21.05%
Cloning 1 5.26%
Up/Down Scaling 0 0%
Other. Please specify 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking "Keep 'em low, WHERE I CAN *SEE* 'EM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
You're thinking like I do. I'm more enchanted with the idea of flying three stages - and actually viewing all three - than I am with using staging for performance. [snip] Maybe someday I'll do the D-C-C in the Comanche, but altitude doesn't really excite me, especially when I can't see it. I'd much rather keep it low and observable.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, Doug. I prefer to get my rockets back, so I find myself using smaller motors. (Of course, after I lost my Semroc Javelin last summer on a C6-5 , which I *thought* was an A8-5... you get my drift [pun intended]. )

http://home.earthlink.net/~gomero/rocketreviews.html

My wife asked me how much it cost, and I told her, "Six bucks." She was concerned that when I lost a rocket, I also lost money. (I didn't mention anything about paint, labor, or time invested.) Plus, I seem to have a vaguely conservative personality (which means I've discovered that I actually have control over very few things), so for the *most part,* I let caution override "launch fever." And I gravitate toward model rockets instead of high power because I JUST DON'T HAVE THE STORAGE ROOM!

After my first launch as a BAR at the Tripoli Idaho (mostly high power) launch in November 2001, an onlooker observed about my 13mm streamer recovery semi-scratch bird, "Well, at least you don't have to walk very far to get *your* rocket."
And last August, I flew my Semroc SLS Javelin 3 times on C11-5's, and got it back! I guess I learned my lesson from the month before, eh?

Cheers,

--Jay