Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Bringing an old launch controller back to life

If I'm going to launch some of my old rockets, I'm going to need to get this thing working.

It's an old Pratt Surefire controller. It wouldn't take a charge so I opened it up and found the batteries were toast. I ordered a new 12v NiMH battery pack. Took a while to clean up the old mess. Soldered in the new pack and it tested good.

Need to do a "smoke test" to see if it will light of an Estes igniter....and a composite motor ignitor . Plan on launching some small F or G motors with my AT 24mm and 29mm hobbyline cases.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2523.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  119.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2525.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  136.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2579.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  87.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2580.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  113.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2578.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  115.1 KB  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:37 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Nice controller.
You shouldn't have any issues with the igniters you listed. You would probably even be able to use this unit for cluster ignition as well.

It was interesting running across this post. I used to have a copy of Doug Pratt's book about model rocketry. It got sold with a bunch of my rocket stuff back in 1985. Wish I still had it.

Anyway , keep us posted on your launch controller testing.

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 08-09-2018, 05:25 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

If I get it to work like it used to it will light anything I have. Biggest motors I fly are 29mm G’s. It used to light twin and triple 24mm black powder clusters just fine. Hoping to put something up this Saturday.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

It lights off Estes ignitors and one of my home made nichrome wrap/pyrogen composite ignitors. I tried one of the old Wildman Lil' Un ignitors from my field box, but no joy. Even holding down the button for several seconds....wouldn't light it. At least it was quiet in the neighbor hood last night. No funny looks with me in the driveway lighting off ignitors.

Not sure if it's the ignitor. The continuity buzzer was going off, so it wasn't broken/cracked. Probably just not enough amps with the NiMH 12 volt pack.

I guess I could rig up some leads for a small motorcycle battery, but I'm usually flying the bigger stuff at the club launch where they have their own launch system. This will work fine for the small LPR stuff.

I did get this made this morning. (I've had a couple day off from work) A 3x cluster harness from old lamp cord and some parts I found in the shop. I used to have one, but for the life of me I couldn't find it. Must have left it at a launch site somewhere. Put my name on this one...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_2591.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  151.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2588.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  151.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2584.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  142.3 KB  
Old 08-12-2018, 06:09 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Went out to launch some rockets with a young family last night. Their son loved the rockets. Started with a few micromaxx Applewhite saucers / cubits. Moved up to 13mm cubit...then we got to the 'bigger' ones. Baby Bertha on a C6-5 was a hit...so was the old Fat Boy. I loaded up an old AT 24mm RMS with an F12 (I think...) put it in an Applewhite Cubit. They loved the sound and smoke from that one.

The launch controller worked flawlessly. No issues at all. It was great seeing some fly again and they loved the show. Their son was the "launch commander" .... I told him to check the sky and the range to make sure all was clear before he started each countdown. He got to press the button.......Loved It!

I was too busy to think of taking photos. Sorry....living in the moment. They were taking lots of pics and I'll share if I get some of them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  39027425_1513306865481568_8266238467566993408_n.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  64.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  39014822_1513308728814715_9005352599192338432_n.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  41.5 KB  

Last edited by OKTurbo : 08-12-2018 at 01:28 PM.