Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Estes Alpha III

Hi all, I just searched the web looking for a nice place to talk/learn about rocketry, so I hope this is it. I just purchased an Estes Alpha III kit recently, and first hand i'd have to say this is by far the easiest kit to get going. It came with everything, including motors and ignitors. Today I tested it on C6-7 Estes motors, and it was VERY impressive, my max flight was 1306FT under 7MPH winds. According to the box, it claims flights up to 1100FT. Guess I blew that away by about 200FT. Anyways, I wanted to see what people would recommend me moving up to for my next rocket, I really enjoy the C6-7 Engines in the Estes Alpha III Rocket, but im looking for something a little larger, maybe 18 Inches-2Ft, 2000FT Altitudes, does anyone have a good recommendation ? And what types of motors would be sufficient for these types of altitudes? I thought you could still achieve a 2000FT flight with the C6-7 Estes, with the right rocket, and little wind. anyways just thought i'd drop in! Thanks for any opinions
Old 01-15-2006, 02:28 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

One can barely reach 2000ft with an Estes C6-7 in about a 12" long rocket, but it must be done in a minimum-diameter rocket (for an 18mm C6-7 this means Estes rockets with a body tube diameter shown on the package as 0.736" or .736"; this is known also as BT-20 size).

Common kitted Estes rockets of the past to do near this altitude on a single C6-7 under optimal conditions included the Yankee, Wizard, Viking, and Zinger.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-15-2006, 03:07 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m
Hi all, I just searched the web looking for a nice place to talk/learn about rocketry, so I hope this is it.

Most assuredly, you've found it!

Quote:
I just purchased an Estes Alpha III kit recently, and first hand i'd have to say this is by far the easiest kit to get going. It came with everything, including motors and ignitors.

Ahh, yes, the 1406 Starter Set. Good way to get a complete package. One suggestion for upgrading that launch pad -- go purchase a steel rod from your LHS or DIY center (when you go buy the dog barf) 36" long and 1/8" diameter. Make sure it has no kinks in it, or burrs around the ends. This will make a better launch rod than the two-piece aluminum rod included. You'll still have to take care of it, wiping off the engine residue and wiping on some light machine oil after each session to keep it from rusting. It eliminates that center joint where a launch lug might get hung...

Quote:
...I wanted to see what people would recommend me moving up to for my next rocket

For the immediate next rocket, try building a clone of the original K-25 Alpha (balsa fins, balsa nose cone, no plastic). Grab the plans from the web for the early version and just think of it as a learning experience. This model will teach you more about the construction of typical models much more so than the Alpha III will. With this knowledge, you can easily build any other model you find.

You'll also really like the performance of the original design even more than the plastic fin version. It's lighter, and will give you better flight results for the same motor.

Something I've found after flying for a number of years, I really like to get my models back. Don't limit your enjoyment to just watching your rockets disappear from sight. The idea is to keep your eyes on them throughout the whole flight. Try dropping back to "B" class motors, and I think you'll enjoy the flight even more. You can still see the model, even if it is just a tiny speck, instead of just the smoke trail.

For a larger model, everyone needs to have a Big Bertha in their collectioin, sitting right next to the Alpha. They're like the "Mutt and Jeff" of model rocketry (that's a very old cartoon strip, appropriate since we're talking about old rocket designs...).

Check out SEMROC for some alternate kit designs, including many of the Centuri designs you'll hear us raving about. Grab one of their Astro-1 "retro-repro" kits. This was Centuri's answer back in the late 60's and early 70's to the Estes Astron Alpha. It's a little bigger, but it builds up into a very nice model.

And I might as well mention the BARCLONE website has over a hundred non-kit designs that you can try out, once you've become comfortable with traditional building practices.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thanks for the great tips!
Old 01-15-2006, 03:36 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw
For a larger model, everyone needs to have a Big Bertha in their collectioin, sitting right next to the Alpha. They're like the "Mutt and Jeff" of model rocketry (that's a very old cartoon strip, appropriate since we're talking about old rocket designs...).

I suppose, if one wanted to think in more modern terms, the Alpha and the Big Bertha are the "Kaput & Zosky" of model rocketry, but with much better success...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Default Your "next rocket"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m
Anyways, I wanted to see what people would recommend me moving up to for my next rocket, I really enjoy the C6-7 Engines in the Estes Alpha III Rocket, but im looking for something a little larger, maybe 18 Inches-2Ft, 2000FT Altitudes, does anyone have a good recommendation ?
As was mentioned elsewhere in the thread, the Big Bertha is a great companion to the Alphas. While for years it's been sold as a "kid's first large rocket", when upgraded to a 24mm motor mount, it can be anyone's first mid-power rocket. My first ever D motor flew in my BB in 2000.

Other than a larger motor tube, no other changes are required to fly it on Estes D and E motors. It's still quite stable even with these heavier motors.

(Regardless of the motor tube, it is good advice to use longer, heavier shock cords than what are provided in the stock kits.)

Also, if you purchase a 24/40 reloadable motor case, the 24mm equipped Big Bertha can be your first composite bird, too.

Doug