Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2018, 04:38 PM
Master Modeler

My AC Supply order came Saturday and I am well along in building one of these. My rotor blade sheet doesn't have that issue. It is warped in a way that would give the blades some dihedral but the shaping process should straighten them right out.

I'm looking forward to flying this. It seems the key to getting a score in a helicopter recovery event is getting a reliable blade deployment. This design looks like that is one of the main objectives, so I'm looking forward to getting some good practice with this model.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 04-23-2018, 07:01 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartman
I completed my Mini A Heli two days ago. The kit is all of Level 3 IMHO. Trying to not cut all the way through the rotors is a challenge. I was successful on two of the rotor blades
You can only do so much with a multi-language pictorial instructions. You will need to study them carefully. Kinda reminds me of the Quinstar
I attached two additional photos showing some issues with the rotor laser cut balsa sheet. The photo near the hub shows an extra "bump out" that needs to be removed. More serious is the photo of the rotor tips showing two of the laser etched marking lines are wrong. Copy the rotor marking line on the rightmost rotor.

Tom

I just finished a build of the Mini Heli A. Mine didn't have and rotor blade laser cut issues. No "bump out", my laser etched lines were correct.

A very interesting build, it'll be featured on my blog after the Mini Little Joe II is finished.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 05-04-2018, 03:35 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I loved building this kit - the instructions were great.

Look forward to flying it.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:55 PM
Master Modeler

This past weekend I put five flights on my Mini A Heli - which were my very first-ever helicopter recovery flights (not counting the Gyroc). It works just wonderfully!

The first flight (on the recommended A10-3T) boosted with only a little roll, deployed the blades at the top and proceeded to spin up, coming down very slowly so that it wound up almost at the edge of the field some 600 feet from the launch point. Several long-time rocketeers remarked on how well it worked and are now contemplating getting this kit for themselves.

The next day, after the Cub Scouts were all gone, I put up four more flights, two on A10s and two on A3-4Ts and this time I timed them as well. I got over a minute in dead air on two of the flights (one on each motor type), one 20-odd second flight which recovered safely even though I forgot to attach the rubber bands to the blades before launching it :eek and one in the mid 30s where it turned nose down as it deployed and came down that way.

My model was built entirely stock - no modifications or tweaks at all - and per directions. There are a couple of tweaks I want to try for models for NARAM but one thing I will not change is the mechanical arrangement, which works every time as designed. My competition philosophy has always been "getting a good score every flight is better than getting a great score once in awhile" and this model is right in line with that.

Thanks to JumpJet for a great design and to Estes for a good execution of the design and for making it available at a nice price.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE