Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walther
I've been flying my Midget with 1/4A3-(mumble)Ts in the sustainer and so far they've all lit. I'm just about confident enough to go to something more powerful. It had been a long time since I flew staged. There were a few of those early flights where it's just as well there wasn't much umphh in the sustainer.
I've used a 1/4A3-3T as a sustainer a few times. While a longer delay, such as the OOP 1/4A3-4T, is preferred, the -3 isn't intolerably short if the shock cord is set up properly.

Quote:
Now, my 1/2A6-2 did not light from my B6-0 in another rocket, so maybe I should try scraping out the nozzle a bit next time. I suspect that rocket just doesn't hold the sustainer on top long enough, though.
I'm afraid the 1/2A6-2 is gonna be awfully short and maybe cause a zipper. The OOP 1/2A6-4 would be better suited. I typically just use a 1/2A3-4T adapted up to 18mm.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 04-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Trust me, it'll work!

Just a note; my C6-3 replacements (after a CATO) came in the mail today from Estes!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I'm afraid the 1/2A6-2 is gonna be awfully short and maybe cause a zipper. The OOP 1/2A6-4 would be better suited. I typically just use a 1/2A3-4T adapted up to 18mm.

The sustainer is a very slightly modified Baby Bertha, so even with the B6-0 booster, I doubt it will be moving much by the time the 1/2A6 finishes burning. Of course, that presupposes that the 1/2A6 ever gets lit. I haven't had a chance to try flying that model again. I did finally take pictures, but I haven't processed (shrink, save as reduced JPEG) them.