Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 PM
Apollo Nut

Centuri went with the newspaper format with their 1975 catalog.

During 1974 they had begun issuing their 'Rocket Times' newsletter in the newspaper format, replacing their earlier 'American Rocketeer' newsletter. I guess they had found that an economical vehicle and decided to expand that to their catalog as well.

That format did allow them to send out two, sometimes three catalogs a year, along with periodic Rocket Times issues; those that came with the catalog and often a few stand-alone issues that would go out in their mail orders.

That format continued until they switched back to the more standard sized catalog in 1979.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-23-2017, 10:07 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I stand corrected; 1975 it is...should have checked Ninfinger.
Whether they issued 2 to 3 a year, the newsprint 'catalog' was second-rate "bush league" compared to the full-color Estes catalogs.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-24-2017, 08:23 AM
Craftsman

Weather or not the price of the catalogs will go up...
And if Estes doesn't do catalogs anymore...
I have all that is available downloaded and saved on my computer to burn on CD. (When I can find the blank one's in storage)
When looking at those old catalogs still brings back the thrill I experienced as a youth and rekindles my building ambitions. If I ever get in a building rut, a look at some of those old catalogs gets me going again.
I don't think corporate understands the importance to use rockteers these catalogs really are to us.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:56 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewalt
I received a 1981 Centuri catalog recently purchased from ebay. I was actually disappointed when I eagerly opened it up . Gone were all the full color rocket pages - most are B&W , there are a few pages that do have color models but not like the early 70's catalogs I have. I would of thought a decade later the pictures would be more outstanding then not.

in 1981, Centuri as a separate entity was winding down, most of it's operations having been moved to Penrose (in 1979 I ordered replacement wraps for my Centuri Saturn V, and was mildly shocked when the package came from Penrose!). As such, they didn't put as much money into marketing. For the next couple of years, they went even cheaper (see http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/82cencat.html and http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...3/83cencat.html ).
In 1984, I think they sent out a tabloid newspaper catalog that was essentially just a clearance ad with some tech information included.