Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Centuri LIA-100 Launcher -- Deflector

I've got some Semroc MiniMax clones in the build que and one actual MiniMax kit that I want to build as well (I've been able to snag two Jaguars the past year). I've got other actual MiniMax kits, but the Jaguar is the only one so far that I have multiples of.

And about a year ago I was able to get the Centuri LIA-100 heavy duty wooden launcher from Penn Valley Hobby Center off ebay. It was the 'recommended' launcher for the MiniMax kits, and I like/try to do all things 'vintage' if I can.

Only problem was, the launcher I got from Penn Valley included the blast deflector from the smaller LIA-77 tripod launcher. It would be functional as a blast defector, but was not the one that was designed to go with the LIA-100. Looks almost the same.....the LIA-77 deflector is just smaller.

Now, maybe in the later runs of the larger LIA-100 launcher, Centuri may have changed over to the smaller LIA-77 deflector to save money. But I'm trying to find someone who may have the larger deflector for sale OR who can at least post photos or measurements of it.

As can be seen from the attached instruction scan from the LIA-100, it DID use a different deflector than the smaller LIA-77. The part number for the ignitor/deflector for the larger LIA-100 is "ID-100".

Any body got one they can lay their hands on?

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LIA-100 Instructions.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  358.5 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 02-24-2015, 12:10 AM
Master Modeler

Wow, that's quite a score! Probably not a whole lot of these were made, compared to other launchers, much less survived the ages.

What is the base plate made of? I recall reading that the smaller pad's plate was wood.

What is the triangular thing on the plate.

Good luck finding the larger igniter / deflector assembly.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 02-24-2015, 07:50 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Wow, that's quite a score! Probably not a whole lot of these were made, compared to other launchers, much less survived the ages.

What is the base plate made of? I recall reading that the smaller pad's plate was wood.

What is the triangular thing on the plate.

Good luck finding the larger igniter / deflector assembly.

The baseplate I believe is masonite. The little triangular piece is what the launch rod sticks in to if I'm not mistaken.
I still have my original LIA-77 from '69.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
The baseplate I believe is masonite. The little triangular piece is what the launch rod sticks in to if I'm not mistaken.
I still have my original LIA-77 from '69.

(home today with a five week old chest cold that will NOT leave. Asthma and chest colds do not mix I'm finding out....)

Yes, that's correct. The LIA-100 design and construction materials are pretty much the same as the smaller LIA-77, but about 1/3 again larger or so when compared to my LIA-77. Even the ignitor/deflector assembly is basically the same, but the one of the LIA-100 is definitely larger.

Both are dang sturdy designs, and while I have used a Centuri Powr-Pad for all my low power stuff for nearly 39 years (and an Estes Big Foot for a while back in the early 80s), I want to start using my LIA-77 and the LIA-100 for some of my more vintage flights, when I can make it out and fit in a flight here and there.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Master Modeler

The first post on the second page (Rocketguy101) has a pdf pattern for both blast plates and there's lot's of good info/discussion on the launchers.

Did yours come with the asbestos plate?

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...ghlight=LIA-100
Old 02-24-2015, 10:32 AM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
The first post on the second page (Rocketguy101) has a pdf pattern for both blast plates and there's lot's of good info/discussion on the launchers.

that large deflector is NOT the deflector Earl is looking for, IIRC that is the Aerotech deflector. Earl and I have PM'd back and forth about this very subject. I wish I could get dimensions on the larger deflector, I would add it to the print!

When I saw this thread, I wondered if just scaling up from the base plate dimensions would be close enough? can you guys measure the base plates of both launchers, and I will see what a scaled-up deflector looks like...perhaps compare it to the catalog view??
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 02-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketguy101
that large deflector is NOT the deflector Earl is looking for, ...snip

Ah, my mistake. You didn't mention Aerotech or anything other than you made a plan from yours (77) in Solid Works.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:

No, I'm pretty sure the asbestos pad was only used in the smaller 'beginners' pad, the LIA-50 (the small square boxy one). I have a used one of those that I got in an old Centuri starter set off ebay some years back. But neither of my two LIA-77s or the LIA-100 came with an asbestos pad.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Ah, my mistake. You didn't mention Aerotech or anything other than you made a plan from yours (77) in Solid Works.

no prob, my bad, actually ... was trying to avoid a "commercial infringement" or such and left the labeling vague on purpose I forgot that was posted actually, thanks for finding it, I will edit the post to explain ...
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 02-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Apollo Nut

Default Top Plate and Leg Comparisons--100 vs 77

Here's a couple of quick photos of the size comparisons between the top plate and legs on the LIA-100 versus the LIA-77. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, the overall construction, design, hardware, and materials are pretty much the same. LIA-100 is just 'larger'. Have not assembled it before (hardware still sealed in bags) and taken direct size measurements between the two (deck height, launcher base spread on legs, etc.), but it would be a pretty sturdy launcher no doubt for many a large rocket, especially 'back in the day' of MiniMax and Enerjet F stuff.

Interestingly, if you check the 1972 (and only) Enerjet catalog, one finds that only the LIA-77 launcher is offered, with a 1/8 rod. The 'heavy duty' LIA-100 is nowhere to be seen in that Enerjet catalog. Strange. And why they dropped all the nice MiniMax rockets when they officially introduced the Enerjet line has always been a mystery to me. Cost-cutting move by the Damon suits would be my best guess. Got rid of all the heavy walled tubing kits and went 'standard' Centuri tubing for the Enejet stuff (save for the heavy-walled 1340).

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LIA100vsLIA77top plate_6622.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  133.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  LIA100vsLIA77Leg_6624.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  147.8 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions