Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Are you suggesting that Lee waited at least six years after the parts were in production to do the drawings the first time?

Not at all. Are there drawing from 1962 or some other year? Did he wait six years? I don't know. Lee was pretty meticulous in his work. Would it be such a big deal if pre-1968 formal drawings never existed? We need to ask Lee for the answer.

But getting back to my question, why would you think that the 1968 drawings were updates?
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 09-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Master Modeler

It just seemed logical to me that it would be. As you say, Lee is a meticulous guy and it strikes me as odd that he'd have been making these for six years without a drawing. So with that in mind, why do the drawing in 1968? It seemed to me the only reason to re-do would be a revision of some kind.

That said, there's nothing on the drawing that we can see in the screen shot that says "revision". That not knowing was the reason I posted the question.

Of course he could have just been using some sort of master pattern as the definition (such a practice is not unprecedented) and perhaps it got so worn that it was time to draw things up and drive future production from there.

As you say, the best way to answer this burning question ( ) is to ask Lee and hope he remembers (which, based on the few conversations I've had with him, he likely will).
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-14-2018, 08:41 PM
Craftsman

Default LIA-77 and LIA-100 Centuri launchers leg pattern drawings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
It just seemed logical to me that it would be. As you say, Lee is a meticulous guy and it strikes me as odd that he'd have been making these for six years without a drawing. So with that in mind, why do the drawing in 1968? It seemed to me the only reason to re-do would be a revision of some kind.

That said, there's nothing on the drawing that we can see in the screen shot that says "revision". That not knowing was the reason I posted the question.

Of course he could have just been using some sort of master pattern as the definition (such a practice is not unprecedented) and perhaps it got so worn that it was time to draw things up and drive future production from there.

As you say, the best way to answer this burning question ( ) is to ask Lee and hope he remembers (which, based on the few conversations I've had with him, he likely will).

Mystery Solved:

So, I took the liberty to email Lee Piester directly about the Centuri drawings for the LIA-77 and LIA-100 wooden launchers leg patterns and I asked Lee if there is a particular reason why the leg drawings were dated in 1968, when the parts existed six years before? Were the parts and the drawings identically the same or did they change somehow? Lee was gracious to provide an answer:

Jeff
In the early years, many parts drawings were not much more than a sketch on a napkin. Later, as we brought more skilled workers on board, we formalized the drawings. Hope this answers the question. Thanks for your interest.

Lee Piester

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Lost his Drifter

Like ...and I was hoping Bernard was going to come out with something like..."here is a copy of the Block 1 drawings made in 1963."
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 09-14-2018, 09:13 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks, Jeff. While I would feel pretty comfortable emailing Vern (or Bill Simon) a question like that for some reason I don’t feel that way with Lee (at least not yet). I figured he’d remember.

Wolfram - nope, no earlier drawings. In this case I simply didn’t know and was curious if anyone else did.

Now everyone who’s wandered into this thread of late does as we have the word directly from he who was there .
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-14-2018, 09:22 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
Like ...and I was hoping Bernard was going to come out with something like..."here is a copy of the Block 1 drawings made in 1963."

Thanks to Lee Piester, being the gracious gentleman that he is! Now, what would really be even more exciting is to see some of those actual original Centuri napkin sketches, if they still exist! Perhaps, some might even show up at the Seattle Museum of Flight one day! I'd consider making a special trip there just to see those. Of course, there should also be plenty more artifacts worth seeing on display by then, thanks to the generous contributions of the Stine family, the Estes family, as well as the Piesters, plus, thanks to the generous financial donations made by so many to help make it all possible.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Old 12-12-2018, 11:37 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Measurement confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Here's a couple of quick photos of the size comparisons between the top plate and legs on the LIA-100 versus the LIA-77. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, the overall construction, design, hardware, and materials are pretty much the same. LIA-100 is just 'larger'. Have not assembled it before (hardware still sealed in bags) and taken direct size measurements between the two (deck height, launcher base spread on legs, etc.), but it would be a pretty sturdy launcher no doubt for many a large rocket, especially 'back in the day' of MiniMax and Enerjet F stuff.
[SNIP]
Earl

A quick measurement of the longest distance on the top plates using the GIMP measurement tool shows the LIA-100 is 1.25 times the size of the LIA-77.

So as mentioned earlier, the bigger pad is almost 1/3rd larger than the smaller one.

Good job on all the research, everybody! I appreciate it!
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014

Last edited by Tau Zero : 12-13-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:15 AM
Craftsman

There's been a lot of great info posted on the LIA 77/100 pads. I always wanted them way back in the "old days" but never got around to ordering. Thanks to Earl, David and Jeff I have been able to recreate those siren calls of the 60's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  lia.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  148.6 KB  
Old 12-13-2018, 06:24 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

That is a very nice trio of retro launch pads, and matching rockets. Great picture!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:07 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNGA
There's been a lot of great info posted on the LIA 77/100 pads. I always wanted them way back in the "old days" but never got around to ordering. Thanks to Earl, David and Jeff I have been able to recreate those siren calls of the 60's.

schweet!
Get yer Barrowmans here