Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Default Auction pricing on OOP Estes kits

Gerry Fortin put together a great list tracking auction prices on OOP Estes kits. You can view it here:

http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/BAR/home.htm
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Master Modeler

Hey, I think I bought most of those kits.....
Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I have a few on that list...... I also see a handfull that arent very accurate. Thats just the ones that I was involved in.

#1281 Alien Invader High Price $75 Low Price $48

I saw one in mint condition go for $110 ,that was for charity or something,dont remember. I also got REAL lucky and was refreshing my ebay search page one night and caught someone putting one up for $35 buy it now. I jumped all over it.....

Ken
Old 02-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Addicted Collector.. now Rockets

Ken,

This is Gerry Fortin. Thanks for checking the Estes kit database. Please be aware that I do not include any Buy It Now information as those listings are not true auctions and are an inadequate measure of kit value through open bidding. As for the stated higher price that is not listed in the database, can you please specific the date of the auction so I can add to the database? Many thanks.

To all other readers....it is a pleasure to be part of this community. This is my second BAR event and hopefully I will stay with model rocketry for years to come.

A short personal introduction is probably in order. My primary interest for 20+ years has been rare American Liberty Seated dimes minted from 1837-1891. After years of researching the series, I published a web-book at www.seateddimevarieties.com. From the numismatic experience, I decided to try a new collecting pursuit and Estes kits seem to be an obvious choice. Since there was a lack of public pricing guide, I though it might be interesting to assemble one and attempt to determine the relative scarcity of individual kits. After 1 year of tablulating eBay prices on a best effort basis, I decide to offer the information to the public via my website. It is possible that I missed some kit listings across one year's time. I also will dismiss any kits that are opened or obviously damaged from the database.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Thanks, Gerry.

My insurance agent has been bugging me to get her a price estimate on the boxes of old kits I have.

I don't have an excuse now.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Hooked Badly

Very cool list Gerry, thanks for posting it. Having bought a number of OOP kits on ebay over the last couple of years, I know just what a nightmare tracking these must have been.

But the OC in me will now make me spend time looking to see how my buying went.

Right off the bat I noticed this one:

Congratulations on winning this item! The next step is to pay the seller.
Mini Shuttle !RARE! New Mint Condition Estes OOP #1391
Sale price: $18.51 + Shipping: $6.50 = Total: 25.01
04/28/08

Woohoo, feeling good about that buy....

If I run across anymore I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
Mikus

Last edited by Mikus : 02-09-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: I didn't notice the total included shipping - corrected.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Glad that members are finding the listing useful. Indeed, it is a challenge to keep up with each day's new listings, placing them on the watch list and then updating the database on weekends. Since I work in China most of the time, there is amble time to "keep up" with the eBay activities; the alternative is to be in bars and ruin my liver. I'll take model rockets any day as the monies potentially spent in bars can buy more kits!

Will update the database as members point out a high or low price that I've missed.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Certified Rocket Nut

Thanks a bunch for doing this Gerry. You the man!!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:54 PM
MOTORVERKENS

First thing I noticed were that there seems to be no distinction between the Citation Boxed kits and the non-Citation bagged kits.

I know many folks like to call the bagged 0652 Patriot - "Citation" to differentiate form the (military) Patriot version, but in truth all of the Citation models differ from the later bagged version.
and - Not to mention the boxed Citation kits average well over $150-$200 more than their non-Citation bagged version.

For example:
Model • Citation Boxed • Non-Citation Bagged
Bomarc • Glider Recovery • Parachute recovery
Quasar • Chrome finish/Clipped fins • White finish/unclipped fins
SS Vega • Pods w/NC & Chrome wrap • Truncated Pods/Red Wrap
Patriot • 2 Pc. NC/Longer Stars&Stripes Decal • Blow Molded NC/Truncated S&S Decal
Der Red Max • 2 Piece NC • Blow Molded 1 Pc. NC
Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 PM

I plan to finish the catalog kit list this weekend so the website link will be consistent with Estes kits through 2008. Again, I am not tracking the "starter sets' or the RTFs. Really doubt that I will be able to capture the new eBay kit prices from the past week. That will have to wait until next weekend for a two week update.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and information; will add those into the database this weekend.

Gerry