Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbectec
I've done a google search on the lawsuit mentioned in the above link, and can't find any details on it. It is quoted in several other cases.

Does anyone know any details on it?

Just curious.

1st of all, this answers.com response was taken from a business intelligence website, so its not only old, it incorrect as Estes today is known as Estes-Cox Corp.

2ndly, as far as the lawsuit is concerned, ToyBiz sued the then Centuri Corporation for " for antitrust violations, copyright infringement, trademark infringement and unfair competition. In its complaint, Toy Biz alleges that Centuri committed a number of illegal acts to eliminate Toy Biz as a competitor in the small hobby flying
model rocket market. Toy Biz also alleges that Centuri is using Toy Biz's "READY TO FLY"(1) trademark on its rockets and has copied Toy Biz's copyrighted artwork.

Prior to commencing this action, on August 8, 1997, Toy Biz had filed an identical action against Centuri in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, which action has been voluntarily dismissed.(2)

On September 18, 1997, after Toy Biz filed this action, Centuri commenced a patent infringement and tortious interference with contract action against Toy Biz in the District of Colorado (the "Colorado action") captioned Centuri Corp. v. Toy Biz, Inc., C.A. No. 97-S-2020. In the Colorado action, Centuri claims that Toy Biz's Quest Aerospace model rockets allegedly infringe patents held by Centuri and that Toy Biz tortiously interfered with Centuri's contract with its engine tube supplier. Toy Biz asserted counterclaims in the Colorado action that are the same as the claims it brought in the New York action.

Both cases involve the sale of certain small hobby model flying rockets. Indeed, Centuri recognized this when it stated in its Memorandum of Law in Support of its Motion to Transfer that both actions "involve the same witnesses and parties and arise out of the manufacturing and distribution of Centuri's `Goldstrike' model rockets and Toy Biz's Quest Aerospace model rockets."

Notes:
1. Plaintiff's "READY TO FLY" trademark was rejected by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, although this matter is not final and is still pending.

2.2. On August 29, 1997, the same day that Toy Biz filed this lawsuit, Centuri answered and moved to transfer the Pennsylvania lawsuit to the District of Colorado. Toy Biz then cross-moved to dismiss the Pennsylvania case without prejudice. Toy Biz's cross-motion was granted on October 2, 1997.

terry dean
Old 01-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Notes:
1. Plaintiff's "READY TO FLY" trademark was rejected by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, although this matter is not final and is still pending.

Almost all the R/C airplane manufactures and distributors use "Ready to Fly" and RTF designations. I don't see them getting anywhere with it, especially after it already being rejected once. Never can tell, though.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
Mark,

What resolution are you viewing the picture at?! Those ARE Patriots.

Estes and Centuri were advertiesed as competing commercial entities into the early 1980s.

I remember receiving Estes coupons and promotions for Centuri closeout items. If you scan the ninfinger site, and look at the seasonal Estes catalogs of the time, you will see Centuri kits being offered.

IIRC, Estes is now a brand name that is offered under the corporate entity of the, 'Centuri Corporation'; has to do with taxes. I believe the company is incorporated in Arizona. I would have chosen Nevada as there is no state income tax for corporations At least 2 of the 48 states of America 'get it'

Anyhow, if you want more detailed information behind the corporate entities such as Estes, Centuri , Damon, then please steer your browser to this link:

http://www.answers.com/topic/centuri-1

Hope this information has answered your question(s).

Bob

I guess that I must have touched a raw nerve there.

An innocent question, and an honest mistake. Sorry that I so ruined your day.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011