Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2006, 10:18 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Bill....how often do you guys have your sport launches? My mother lives in Springfield and I could just happen to make a trip to visit her......

Don
NAR 53455

Every other weekend, Saturday and Sunday. This weekend is the next one, then the 24th & 25th, one day of which is our Lone Free Ranger competition.
http://www.quarkers.org/index.html?operations=schedule

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Out To Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
Lance --- just FYI, I grew up in Lima (Elida, actually) and moved to Milwaukee about 6 years ago.
Wow! There's someone here who would actually have heard of my original hometown before I moved here. I'm a former Leipsic Viking.
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net
Old 06-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Out To Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Bit of a ride, but give us a try down at Quark sometime. If we can sync it up, I'll buy the post launch dinner. (Skyline or Chipotle. Your choice. )
Maybe I'll take you up on that when the Saturn V is completed. (And the new Vulcan, X-24 Bug, Thunder Roc, Semroc Laser X - darn cats!) It would be great to share it with a truely appreciative audience. I'd like to see some of those you've given us pictures of "in the flesh" too.
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net
Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up New NAR Sections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
Very best of luck to you, though...maybe someday there'll be a club in northwest Ohio. Heck, maybe YOU'LL be the one to start it!
I've flown with the Tripoli Idaho club 3 times before, but apparently there's not an active NAR Section in the entire state of Idaho.

Yet.

It looks like I'm elected. A couple of nights ago, we had an extended family gathering since my older brother was in town. I picked out the New China Buffet here in town, and my fortune said (of *all* things), "You are offered the dream of a lifetime. Say yes!"

Given my recent success with the Sirius Interrogator build/flights/reviews, that was just confirmation that I need to move ahead in my rocketry involvement (Tau Zero, Prometheus, etc.). Plus I keep running into people like the BLM guy who said, "Y'know, I used to fly rockets as a kid, and I've been wanting to get back into it."

So we'll see who in my area is on the NAR members list.

Cheers,

--Jay
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 06-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweener
Wow! There's someone here who would actually have heard of my original hometown before I moved here. I'm a former Leipsic Viking.

Yup! When I was a young boy, listening to WIMA radio for school closings on those snowy winter days, I loved the "odd-sounding" names of the towns around us... "Delphos...Ottawa...Miller City/New Cleveland...Celina...Leipsic...Van Wert, public and parochial..."

And there was always that heart-stopping moment when I WANTED to hear "EEEE-lida", but the announcer said (with trememdous empahsis on that first syllable), "KAH-lida". Those Kalida kids got off school a heckuva lot more often than WE did...which is, why I think, the DJ's used to really STRESS which "-lida" was out of school that day...

It was a great place to grow up in the 60's. Elida was just up Route 501 from Wapakoneta...and knowing that a guy who called Wapak "home" was gonna be the first man on the moon...well, I was cemented into space flight and aeronautics forever. Every time I launched my Alpha, X-Ray, Constellation, Gyroc, Star Blazer...I was going along with Neil on a ride. Now, if only I'd been able to scrape together the $10, I could have bought, built, and launched a Saturn and not needed quite so much imagination to "believe" my Constellation "looked" like a Sat V. Unfortunately, I could never find enough bottles beside the road to get enough nickels to add up to the money needed to buy that beautiful kit in the "pricey" section of the Estes catalog.
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 06-10-2006, 05:12 PM
ACE DISASTER COMPANY

I was of the same mindset a few years ago when I started looking at re-joining the NAR. It DOES look like everyone has gone "high power crazy" and that the "small stuff" was totally ignored. I'm much more interested in low and mid power because 1. I do a rocket unit at my elementary school and we only use low power, 2. cost, and 3. I just like black powder (the smell, the smoke, the natural orange flame, etc). I went ahead and joined for the insurance, but I didn't get in contact with my local NAR section for about three years. I just figured everyone would just be doing high power and I wouldn't fit in. That was a mistake. As it turns out the majority of the guys in the club do low and mid power. Also, I began to notice that even though there are a lot of high power articles in the magazine, most of the really practicle stuff is geared toward low and mid power (plans, how-to's, etc) Yeah, there are still a ton of high power pictures in there (let's face it. they're pretty impressive) but there is other stuff too. I can't tell you what to do, but in my case going ahead and joining and then getting in touch with my local section was a great move...
Old 06-10-2006, 05:13 PM
ACE DISASTER COMPANY

Oops, make that "practical." Stupid happy fingers...
Old 06-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking Been there, done that, all too often...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP
most of the really practicle stuff...

Oops, make that "practical." Stupid happy fingers...
*I* thought you were writing about "particles," myself.

Cheers,

--Jay
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

03 Sept 2014
Old 06-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Unhappy "That Awkward In-Between Stage..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
"Upon receipt of this application at NAR HQ, it will be processed immediately and you can expect to receive your membership license within two weeks."
(tapping foot impatiently) Still waiting after 2 weeks and 2 days. Maybe tomorrow.

Cheers,

--Jay
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014
Old 06-22-2006, 09:09 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
(tapping foot impatiently) Still waiting after 2 weeks and 2 days. Maybe tomorrow.

Cheers,

--Jay

You sound like Sam waiting on his new skateboard. Today he hates DHL. A few weeks ago it was FedEx.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper