Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Master Modeler

Mike I have seen this picture a few times on the Internet at a hobby show and was wondering where this collection is kept? Also could Estes advertise the next time these rockets will be on display? I for one would like to see them. Are most of these your builds? Thank you David

Old 05-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
I agree things being removed from desks and from even dumpsters on private property is wrong. There was a legal ruling that dumpster diving on public property and common areas on multi-tennant private property is legal. Of course selling a house with all its contents is an extreme example, but also legal. That is as far as it goes. Heck, Estes had to get incinerators to prevent some of the more sensitive stuff from getting out as well as destroying hazmat.

I agree the main problem is the loss of historical records and artifacts. Sadly that issue is behind us and done. I really find it interesting a poster here can admit to having an original clear mold Cineroc and the original film and do so without remorse, but I also digress.

I greatly appreciate your willingness to share history. It is enlightening. It gives color to my one visit to Estes where you rushed up, declared with a bit of over-enthusiasm that Kodak was discontinuing 110 film and rushing back. Mary than suggested that perhaps I should be careful with that information. I was publishing a little magazine at the time called California Rocketry magazine. It felt a whole lot like a set-up or prank to me, so I was careful with the information. 110 film was readily available for over a decade thereafter and I flew lots of Astrocam flights.

http://v-serv.com/crp/CRm/10-81/CRm.10-81.01.w.jpg

http://v-serv.com/crp/CRm/10-81/CRm.10-81.05.w.jpg

Jerry

Model rocketry makes a whole bunch of people happy on a truly wholesome basis and you are largely responsible for that. Thank you.

Jerry, that second link's article has a very familiar name, Matt Ota. He's an old buddy of mine from the 1970's; we met in central Texas for a NAR Regional Meet in Dripping Springs,
TX (Matt was in the Air Force then, stationed at Reese AFB near Lubbock). He took some
fantastic pictures of my Saturn - IV clustered payloader, which I still have today (the pics).
I'm still in touch with him; he's working at some observatory in California.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Mike I have seen this picture a few times on the Internet at a hobby show and was wondering where this collection is kept? Also could Estes advertise the next time these rockets will be on display? I for one would like to see them. Are most of these your builds? Thank you David

Those Estes catalog model displays are pretty much the same one I saw in Austin, TX (October 2007) at the Makers Faire, where Estes had a model builder's event. I was there
on the Saturday that weekend to assist the Estes staff on hand with the activities. Also took
a lot of pics of the catalog models, but won't post since they're pretty much the same as
you posted.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
Jerry, that second link's article has a very familiar name, Matt Ota. He's an old buddy of mine from the 1970's; we met in central Texas for a NAR Regional Meet in Dripping Springs,
TX (Matt was in the Air Force then, stationed at Reese AFB near Lubbock). He took some
fantastic pictures of my Saturn - IV clustered payloader, which I still have today (the pics).
I'm still in touch with him; he's working at some observatory in California.

Matt flew rockets at Lucerne and before that with the local model rocket clubs here in CA in the early 80's.

There are quite a few photos of Matt Ota in CRm. He was there for the start of HPR as it was formalized. He wasn't very political. He and moose and tooch just flew rockets.

Jerry
Old 05-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Matt flew rockets at Lucerne and before that with the local model rocket clubs here in CA in the early 80's.

There are quite a few photos of Matt Ota in CRm. He was there for the start of HPR as it was formalized. He wasn't very political. He and moose and tooch just flew rockets.

Jerry

I think Matt "is" a member of YORF; just doesn't log in too much (or does he?!). I invited him
here several years ago.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I think Matt "is" a member of YORF; just doesn't log in too much (or does he?!). I invited him
here several years ago.

Not to my knowledge - Matt has given up rocketry. He came back to Southern Indiana to visit for a couple days last Thanksgiving (he still has some cousins living here) and I got to meet up with him for an hour or so to catch up a bit. (We went to high school together and he's the one who got me interested in model rocketry in the first place.)

Greg
Old 05-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Not to my knowledge - Matt has given up rocketry. He came back to Southern Indiana to visit for a couple days last Thanksgiving (he still has some cousins living here) and I got to meet up with him for an hour or so to catch up a bit. (We went to high school together and he's the one who got me interested in model rocketry in the first place.)

Greg

His registration:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/member.php?u=1505
Old 05-02-2009, 11:07 PM

Last I checked he was disillusioned with the internet, and who could blame him?

Jerry
Old 05-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Last I checked he was disillusioned with the internet, and who could blame him?

Jerry

Jerry, you live near him? If so, how about telling him he still has many loyal friends here? And tell him I said "hi."
Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 AM

I hear from him by email every couple of years. Next time I will suggest YORF. His experience with ROL and rmr was shall we say bad.

Jerry
Closed Thread