Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Craftsman

Smile Cheap Interceptor E -Do I really need epoxy?

Good morning all!
Hope all your turkey dreams were fulfilled.....
Well, I just scored a Int E at Hobby Lobby for 19.99!! They have a few more if interested in Lombard, IL The directions call for using both a 5 and 15min epoxy-is this really necessary, especially for using is to fillet the fins? If so, is locktite any good or perhaps something that Menards carries (I think both loctite and gorilla-
Thanks guys for all the help, Jeff

Wait-full Filled-Get it??????? http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
Old 11-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Well....it is kinda heavy and you do want to make sure the fins don't pop off upon landing. But you will find that there are a lot of people that say all you need is white glue for a model rocket. I'd recommend following the manufacturers directions.

Epoxy choices? Personnally, I prefer the epoxy that dries clear. I used to use Devon but it seems Walmart has chosen not to carry it any more. Lately, I've been using Hammer Head from Hobby Lobby (using the 40% off coupon). Keep some alcohol nearby for cleanup (the kind you find in the medicine cabinet and not the liquor cabinet.... )

There are a few build threads here so do an "Interceptor E" search and see what the other guys have been doing.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Craftsman

Thanks man!!!
Well, as I'm waiting for my clothes to dry, my Son just came downstairs sick as a dog so I'll only be able to hit Target and the Home Depot right nextdoor. your right though, I've only used TB III and the occasional Ca for bonding the fins right to the unprimed tube. I'll search for the interceptor builds. Take care, Jeff
Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Dazed and Confused

Kody had huge shotgun ejection with his Interceptor-E which blew out a chunk of the heavy body tube. The rocket then proceeded to sweep down in a breezy descent and smashed into the frame of a trampoline. The yellow wood glue (Elmer's) held the fins on just fine, but the impact knocked a pod loose.

When I build mine, I plan to use yellow glue on all fins, but I will use epoxy on the pods.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Dazed and Confused

BTW, Bob Smith epoxy is cheap and works well. You can often find it for $6-7. It's in 9 oz bottles and he has 5 minute, 15 minute, 30 minute, and 20 minute finishing (easier sanding). It is often packaged as a store's house brand.

http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/epoxies.html

If you plan on using lots and lots of epoxy around the house, West Systems is extremely strong and widely available. It's really thin, making it good for fiberglassing, but not so much for fillets unless you add powder to thicken it a little.

http://westsystem.com/ss/product-selection-chart/
Old 11-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Craftsman

Hi guys:
Thanks so much for your energy in responding. As in I've caught my Son's freking cold-Man cold! I bought some Loctite 5 min epoxy since it was on sale and we are stuck at home for a few more days. Only one sheet of decals though-I may by some aftermarket. I'm waiting after my second coat of aerogloss balsa filler-a few more to go I believe. Take care, Jeff
Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Old Submariner

One sheet of decals in a sealed kit? If you contact Estes they may send you a full set.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 11-29-2010, 03:28 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
One sheet of decals in a sealed kit? If you contact Estes they may send you a full set.

Opps, my mistake: I see three sheets now that are really stuck together hard. They look nice.....
Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Craftsman

I roughed up the plastic parts and used platic zap CA and flew my Interceptor E over 25 times on black powder and composite motors with no problem. CA will become brittle over time but it works just fine.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Old Submariner

You may want to test the decals. Depending on the age of the kit, they may be the super-thin waterslides that practically turn into "slime" when you wet them. If they are, coating the sheets with 2 apps. of Micro Scale liquid decal film will improve them greatly.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078