Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2018, 03:11 AM
Craftsman

Default Two Drifter K-14s

The final K-kit in the 1964 catalog is the Drifter. Some regard the K-15 Sprite as a 1964 rocket, since it was included in advertisements that Estes published in 1964. I'm fine with that. But, it's not in the catalog, so I'll save the Sprite for the next set, when I'm working on the 1966 catalog. A mystery - no 1965 catalog? A story for a future adventure.

(Actually, there are at least two catalogs for 1964, one on Ninfinger's site, and one at the Estes site. The Ninfinger one doesn't have the Drifter, but the other one does. So I counted it in.)

The I've always liked the look of the Drifter, but had never built one. So, I decided to build two. Not just two, but really thematically different versions.

One is classic. With a decal pattern similar to what was published in the black and white 1964 catalog.

The other, well, I needed inspiration. I remembered that I had taken a casual weekend recently, surfing the TV, and had come across one of my favorite Clint Eastwood movies- High Plains Drifter. So, Eureka (which is more Greek than old West, but never mind) I decided the other rocket would be of a High Plains Drifter theme.

But, I'll start with the classic style.

I started by cutting out the parts. Instead of using balsa transitions, I went with cardboard transitions. I've gotten pretty good with them - way better than I used to be. The main trick I've found is to use a template calculator, but lie about the tube sizes. Instead, take the paper thickness of the transition into account. For instance, with this template, BT20 to BT50, I made the transition actually go from 0.756" to 0.976", and stand 1.125" tall. That is, I made the BT20 end 0.02" wider, since at that end the outer edge of the transition is a paper width out from the tube.

I sanded the overlaps so that they were tapered in thickness for a smooth seam.

I also printed two transitions and doubled them up for a stronger transition. Of course, I had to trim off the overhang with a knife once it dried.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Drifter parts 2 sets.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  104.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  transitions.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  61.3 KB