Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > 3D Printing Asylum
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2017, 01:55 AM
Master Modeler

Default DIY 3D printing online

Hello All,

Having started a Shapeways (see: www.shapeways.com ) account and purchased a few 3D printed model rocket parts from one of their members, I now receive e-mails from Shapeways. (For anyone who may be unfamiliar with them, Shapeways does 3D printing of parts and objects in plastics, metals, precious metals, and even porcelain. Members--who can have store pages on their site, if they wish--design the items, creating print files of them, which Shapeways uses to 3D print the items on their printing equipment. For members who have store pages, Shapeways handles the order-taking, payments, packing, and shipping for the 3D printed items.) Also:

In an e-mail message that I received from Shapeways yesterday (I have copied-and-pasted it below), they mentioned that they now offer downloadable and web-based design programs, which folks can use to design their own 3D-printable items (rather like the online nose cone designer that Semroc offered for having them make custom-turned nose cones to order, before Carl passed away). Below is Shapeways' e-mail message (it "formatted oddly" here, and--on my computer--also contains photographs of various 3D printed items):
With these free tools, anyone can be a 3D designer.
Shapeways
Shop Make Community

Everyone is a 3D Designer
Anyone can create beautiful 3D designs. Yes, we really mean anyone. Whether a design novice or an engineering expert, there are numerous free tools available that fit your skill level. We've outlined a few of our favorites below, starting with our most popular easy-to-use apps and moving up the skill scale from there. Pick the one that's right for you and dive in!

And remember, we're here to help. You can reach out to our community managers or community support team at any point. Or tap into the collective community's expertise by posting your query on one of our forums.

Pendant and Keychain Creators
All you need is a 2D drawing, monogram or logo, and our easy creator apps can turn it into a 3D printed pendant or keychain. These make a great personalized gift for a friend or loved one.

Keychain Keychain Keychain

Make a Pendant
Make a Keychain

Gravity Sketch
A Shapeways partner, this iPad-powered app brings 3D design to the everyday user. Its clean, simple and intuitive interface makes it easy to get your start in 3D modeling, or to take your skills to a new level.

Gravity Sketch Gravity Sketch Gravity Sketch
I hope this information will be helpful.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 11-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Rocket Huckster

There are a half dozen or so free 3D packages. We use several for our printers. All a matter of whats being printed. We have 3 M3D Micro+ printers for small work. A8 Anet for medium sized work. And we will be getting a PROMEGA sometime in Feb for large jobs.
Low Prices, Fast Delivery. The Webs #1 Rocket Shop

YORF the rocketry forum where vendors can actually post in the vendors section.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Any Questions/Comments Click To Email Us
Old 11-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Craftsman

Can you post a link to the model rocket items that you have found on shape ways please?
Old 11-26-2017, 10:55 PM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_mills
Can you post a link to the model rocket items that you have found on shape ways please?

That's like asking someone to post a link to the model rocket items you can find on Hobbylinc. Go on over there and do a search and do some looking. I did a search for "model rocket" from the home page and got back 738 pages of stuff. Sheesh....
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 11-27-2017, 12:38 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
That's like asking someone to post a link to the model rocket items you can find on Hobbylinc. Go on over there and do a search and do some looking. I did a search for "model rocket" from the home page and got back 738 pages of stuff. Sheesh....
That is abundantly true! Not all of what Shapeways' search engine considers to be "model rockets" are *flying* model rockets, but such 3D printed model rockets--and their parts--are also plentiful on Shapeways.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 08-13-2018, 12:39 PM
Junior Rocketeer

if you want a quick way to get into 3d design (and useful for rocketry too)

tinkercad.com its free and quite powerful (though pretty low poly)

you won't be making too detailed a saturn v with this but I make simple nose cones and centering rings and fin cans with it and you can IMPORT STL files as well and mess with them add them to your own stuff etc..

quite powerful very easy to learn and free

if you want to dabble in 3d printing. Ender 3 without hesitation.

$180 with a 230x230x250 build volume and the quality is out of this world especially when you consider the price. I have 4 of them amongst my 54 printers.

revisioning is done now so buying an ender 3 will get you the latest finished revised model. very impressive little machine and its an AIO (all in one) no break out box etc.. portable.

Ender 3 Amazon https://amzn.to/2GVALgK
Ender 3 Gearbest https://goo.gl/R4iRpw

gerabest is $180 amazon is around $240. one is cheaper the other gets to your door in 2 days.

those are AFLinks (this is how I am working toward making my living now) I have many videos on the ender 3 and how to overcome its quirks if you experience any.

if you have any questions ask away I will do my best to answer.

PLA works fine for rockets. just make sure to use a paper tube up the middle to protect from heat and a stand off to protect from splash on ignition.

your biggest issue especially for thin (fins) or hollow (tubes cones) parts is AMBIENT HEAT. you MUST and I repeat MUST leave your windows cracked in your car in the summer.

this plastic will soften and warp at 50c which you can EASILY reach in a close car in the summer. I leave my wing windows open in the minivan and have no issues.

adding infill will increase the temperatures they can withstand (gives parts structure) but this adds mass and time to the print and cost.

ABS is nice but a pain in the *&* to print with. you really need an enclosure (printed solid has an ender 3 enclosure) I am experimenting with ASA but its hard to beat $10 a kilo for PLA when its on sale.

nylon is amazing but a pita to print with. needs to be dried use garrolite for the print surface and print slow and hot. you will be replacing the bowden tube often (they are cheap) since you need to print at 260c which is the upper limit of PTFE tubes and degrades them rapidly (couple months)

if you don't need super high detail best way to really make a part strong is a larger nozzle. I Have one ender 3 running a 1.2mm nozzle. INSANELY strong parts and "FAST" too since your extruding so much plastic per layer. .4mm nozzle my 100mm nose cone takes over 6.5 hrs. with the 1.2mm nozzle? 1.75 hrs.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:10 PM
Craftsman

I second the Vote on the ender 3 . Really good bang for the buck, only other one in the price range that is decent is the anet a8, which you will spend a lot of time printing parts to upgrade it to be as decent as the ender 3 is out of the box.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:16 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I would not even put the A8 on the table competitively speaking.

after the A8 you have the Tevo Flash. the Geetech A10 is not too shaby though not as good as the ender 3 or flash.

you also have the Michelangelo (tevo) and the Ender 2.

also (small build volume) Anycubic I3 Mega and (nice build volume) Anet E10 with simple mods.

but those last too are "expensive" for what they are compared to the Ender 3.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 PM
Craftsman

Chris,

What do you think about getting an expensive printer ($3,899.00) like the Raise 3D N2 https://www.amazon.com/Raise3D-Plus...r/dp/B01N3982HD
this printer claims to have 0.01mm resolution that is 10 times what the Creality printers can provide.

The Raise 3D N2 is what Boyce Aerospace http://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/?page_id=2114 claims they use to print their ABS 3D print models.

Is 10 times the printer resolution worth more than 10 times the price?
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055
Old 08-15-2018, 12:59 AM
Junior Rocketeer

while the mechanicals might on paper be capable of 0.01 I don't think the machine itself can actually achieve that.

it is a VERY nice printer and fully enclosed.

I do not think its worth 10 times the price. the ender 3 can achieve 0.05mm with tuning. I have already done it as have others. it takes GOOD low viscosity pure filament and slow print speeds.

not worth it. a well tuned printer can do 0.2mm and the layers pretty much vanish unless yous tick your eyeball up to it (depending on the shape you print etc..)

I print my nosecones at 0.4mm layer height with a 1.2mm nozzle. sometimes 0.6mm layer height and they look just fine!

if you want to print tiny details you get a resin printer ($500 nowadays) otherwise you probably do not need such resolutions in practical day to day use.

you can buy 20 ender 3's for the price of one of those.