Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Crazy Intermediate Old Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
My experience has been different. I've been using Createx acrylics straight from the bottle with no thinning. I've been clear-coating with enamel with no problems what-so-ever.

Thats what I gathered after reading through all this. You can use any clear,but the createx doesnt come out well
Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Aspiring computational demonologist

I just found this thread. Lots of good info and inspiration.

I've been airbrushing since last fall, and really like it. Now that it's warm again, I'm using up my store of spray cans of color coats, but once they are gone I'm going to stick to acrylics.

In case it's of interest to anyone, I tend to prime with Rustoleum auto filler primer if it's warm enough to shoot it. Then either Valspar white spray primer OR Createx's "Auto-Air" Sealer White, which does a good job.

Then I use Createx Wicked Colors line, and sometimes the Auto Air stuff too. The stock Createx didn't work so well the couple times I tried it with clearanced bottles I bought, but I love Wicked Colors and some of the Auto Air stuff. I thin by 10-15% (with the recommended reducer for the paint line) and tend to spray at either ~40 lbs CO2 with the Paasche H #5 tip, or at around 30 lbs with the #3 tip for smaller birds.

I tend to use Valspar High Gloss Clear Lacquer which can be sprayed in the cold (from a warmed can) with good results, or of course when it's warm (but not more than 60% RH or it will blush). Or I use Liquitex High Gloss Varnish from the hobby lobby artists' aisle. Or just Future. Or future with a bit of color mixed in. Sometimes I go wacky.

Anyone reading this, get an airbrush. It's fun and lets you spray in all kinds of weather with an infite range of colors and stuff.

Marc
Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM
The Yen to Evils' Malevolent Yang

Although my preferred medium is lacquer, I’ve found the airbrush to be an indispensable tool. Like you said, it can remove most of the problems, and with lacquer the biggest problem is getting the paint too heavy. The airbrush is ideal for getting a solid coat of color without the thickness.

I love the fed-ex paint job. Very nice.

Have you tried using a touchup gun? Judging by your airbrush work, I think you’d find a touch-up gun to be useful on larger areas. They cost about the same as a good airbrush, but they require more air volume. Sorry, can’t tell you much about the HVLP guns, I still paint old school.

I’d like to point out however, that not all spray cans are equal. Normally, a finish equal to that of a new car is achievable. As you eluded earlier, if time is taken to prepare the base, it will be reflected in the paint.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleNut
ok I have lurked quite a while now but I have to put a rant down on this one.

I guess one good rant deserves another.

Quote:
I have painted nearly all of my rockets with an airbrush and have none of the issues mentioned.

no issues with blushing, cold weather ,humidity,heat

Blushing (lacquer) is only an issue if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Quote:
can mix colors to an exact match( for scale models) cheaper

Not so fast. Lacquer is available from testors in small quantities.

Quote:
I have to really go crazy to get a run in the finish

Same with lacquer.

Quote:
quality airbrush paint color is designed to be deep and brilliant under clearcoat

And automotive paint isn’t? Really? Lol.

Quote:
unlimited supply of colors

Oh brother.

Quote:
acrylics can handle just about any brand or type of clear, no compatabillity issues.

Funny, I just lifted a panel of acrylic enamel with acrylic lacquer.

Quote:
I can create finishes that one can only dream of with a spraycan.

Wow, this just set off my B.S. alarm.

Quote:
my rockets have won beauty and scale contests, and fly just as well as spraycan models.

Same here. But, I don’t make it a habit of bragging. Nor do I allow my 4-h kids.

Quote:
did it take some trail and error and practices ?-yes
was it worth the effort ?-absolutely !

Any system does.

Quote:
I don't look down on people for using spraycans. !

Oh gee, thanks. Really? Like you’re in a position to look down on anyone.

Personally, I encourage others to make the most of anything they want to do. This includes some very stunning brush techniques. What you’ll never hear from me, or anyone in our club, is you can only dream of a good finish with technique A over technique B. Especially when you consider it simply is not true.

Quote:
I take pride in my building, I give the same effort to my finishing.

And no one esle does?

Quote:
all I can ask here is...don't knock it just because you can't or don't want to airbrush a rocket, it's not an instant gratification thing but It works and it does the job very well.

No system will deliver instant gratification.

Quote:
I have read post after post on many forums over the years about problems with painting rockets. I can say that for me airbrushing has eliminated 99% of them

And for you that’s fine. In fact I hope others find your advice useful. But to claim “I can create finishes that one can only dream of with a spraycan.” is complete nonsense.

And I can prove it too:

This from a 14 year old girl.

This one really makes the ghost flames “POP”.

One of my beaters.

Last edited by VonMises : 04-21-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Craftsman

Dude.....Really?? Did you go back five years to find something to rant on.... you would have been better off just starting a new thread saying; "hey, look what a 14 year old can do on a desk model."

Besides, there is a little silvering on that decal... enough said.
TRA #11767
Level 1
Old 04-15-2013, 08:29 AM
Dazed and Confused

He replied to the same original post in 2012 with positive comments, right above yesterday's bi-polar tirade.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo52
Dude.....Really?? Did you go back five years to find something to rant on.... you would have been better off just starting a new thread saying; "hey, look what a 14 year old can do on a desk model."

Besides, there is a little silvering on that decal... enough said.

Silvering? Can you be more specific?

Desk model? Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFCgkyHt-vA

Enough said indeeed.

Last edited by VonMises : 04-21-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
He replied to the same original post in 2012 with positive comments, right above yesterday's bi-polar tirade.

Not at all. In fact I found some useful tidbits of info. My 4-H kids are encouraged to explore techniques, including airbrush, and media that may not be conventional.

However to claim “I can create finishes that one can only dream of with a spraycan” or any other technique or paint, is simply not true. As well as some of the other claims that are untrue.

And yes, I do love the Fed-Ex paint job. I'd like to know more about it.

Why did it take so long to respond in a meaningful way? Well, my life and interests outside of model rocketry doesn’t allow me the time to be here every day, or month for that matter.

Wow, “bi-polar tirade” funny. You know, there’s more to life than spending all day and night on a toy rocket forum from your mother’s basement.

Last edited by VonMises : 04-21-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
I can create finishes that one can only dream of with a spraycan.

Wow, this just set off my B.S. alarm.

the point of that claim was you can achieve freehand effects that are near impossible with a spray can , such as true flames and other delicate graphics.

but yes I guess I seem a bit boisterous in my postings ,, that was some time ago.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I got started pretty easily. I bought a double-acting airbrush for like $15 on E-Bay. It's the same as the name brand without paying for the name. The same with the braided hose and filter. So I just use my compressor for airing up tires and larger paint sprayer.

As for getting started look up Expert Village on YouTube. Mike Royall does the videos. They have a ton of how-to videos from simple circles to bubbles, stripes, stipling, you name it. At home I have a whole folder of the videos I saved and used to practice along with. I find coupons for like Michaels and Hobby Lobby etc to get the paints fairly reasonable.

So you can get going fairly inexpensively.

Michael