Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2007, 08:27 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy
What an interesting concept! So many small companies with great ideas end up going to the wall. It's great that in this hobby, the great ideas get archived and we get another chance to sample them. (Especially we BARs who missed them the last time around).

Indeed... so many companies I never even heard of. When I get done cloning my old Centuri favorites (just have the Bandito to go), I may start on some of these others. I like that forked model above.

... Skippy, eh? Who's evil twin are you?
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

I have to say you guys are the greatest! I have some other kits that are hard or impossible to find that I would love to make up clone kits for, maybe you have them maybe not but it never hurts to ask.

Anyway Scott if you like I can send you a copy of there catalog with all the other material they sent me along with their Logo at 300 DPI that’s on there flyer, if you would like.

So Barone I have some questions, about the kit you have?

There are some fin patterns on the building parts flyer (see below) that I can enlarge so everyone can use this to clone the lift-kit they like. But before I can do this I will need the dimensions of the fins of the rocket you have. Also what thickness of Balsa-Ply was used?

Another thing what type of body tube was used was it the same as Estes or was it thicker, and what about the baffle used, do you have any information on its design or was it a plastic unit at the top of the Lift-kits. Maybe you could take some pictures of this so we all can see how it was built, that’s if it’s not too much trouble.

I know it was a 1.6” body tube (BT-60) so how long is the Lift kit body tube, and we all know it had a 24MM motor mount.

Do the plans show were the Launch Lug goes.

As for the Body-kits I can wait and see if they are posted later on or enlarge the price list (see below) and do an approximation of all but the #RB4. On the central tube of the #RB2 Rader I know it is 1.6”.

But at least this is a start!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Mach-1Parts page and Logo.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  131.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Mach-1Price list page.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  194.7 KB  

Last edited by Arley Davis : 04-20-2007 at 10:01 AM. Reason: left out part of thread
Old 04-20-2007, 10:18 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley Davis
Anyway Scott if you like I can send you a copy of there catalog with all the other material they sent me along with their Logo at 300 DPI that’s on there flyer, if you would like.

Arley,

Yes, please do. Thank you!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 04-20-2007, 12:21 PM

Just finished rescanning what I had and sent it a couple of minutes ago!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Okay Arley....let's see how many of your questions I can answer.....

Quote:
There are some fin patterns on the building parts flyer (see below) that I can enlarge so everyone can use this to clone the lift-kit they like. But before I can do this I will need the dimensions of the fins of the rocket you have. Also what thickness of Balsa-Ply was used?
Below is the pattern I tried to get based on the kit I have. The through the wall tab may be off but the other dimensions are acurate.

Quote:
Another thing what type of body tube was used was it the same as Estes or was it thicker, and what about the baffle used, do you have any information on its design or was it a plastic unit at the top of the Lift-kits. Maybe you could take some pictures of this so we all can see how it was built, that’s if it’s not too much trouble.
The body tube was a standard BT-60, 6 inches long. The motor tube was a standard BT-50, also 6 inches long. At the forward end of the motor tube, approximately 1 inch aft, are four holes 90 degrees apart. The baffle was simply a length of BT-50 coupler (well, thicker than normal) with a plug in the aft end. This was inserted into the motor tube until it was flush with the forward end of the holes. A recovery tang was then inserted into the coupler to act as the attachment point for the recovery system.

Quote:
I know it was a 1.6” body tube (BT-60) so how long is the Lift kit body tube, and we all know it had a 24MM motor mount.
As stated, both tubes were 6 inches.

Quote:
Do the plans show were the Launch Lug goes.
No. it just says to attach it.

Quote:
As for the Body-kits I can wait and see if they are posted later on or enlarge the price list (see below) and do an approximation of all but the #RB4. On the central tube of the #RB2 Rader I know it is 1.6”.

But at least this is a start!
For the body kit I have, the BT60 was 18" long and the inside tube BT50 was also 18" long.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah
Indeed... so many companies I never even heard of.
Let me throw in my 2 cents worth on Mach-1. I never knew about the kits. Apparently they had already come and gone before I BAR'd in 1999. But I knew about the company. They made a product called Balsa-Ply. BMS used to offer rings made with it, and that's where I discovered them. So I bought a few sheets of it, and still use a piece now and again.

When I called to place the order, I got the impression that they were more of a farm-like family that did entrepreneurial/industrial work on the side. As I recall, Grandma answered the phone, and then had to run down to the barn to find (let's call him) Clem to see if he had any more in stock. Talking to her I learned that there were three generations living there, and that they had invented and patented the manufacturing process for their balsa plywood.

Grandma told me that they really didn't want to be in the business, that they wanted to sell the machine to someone who could run with it and market the product. Given that I don't see any Balsa-Ply on the shelf next to the Midwest and Sig stuff, I gather they weren't very successful. I suspect the rocket kits were an adjunct to the plywood business in an attempt to proliferate the material.

The call didn't instill much confidence in me. I had my fingers crossed that the order would make it, but it did.

Anyway, if you want to play around with it, try making some. I do that for rings and occasionally for fins. I've learned that making up full sized (eg, 36" long) sheets is a PITA, but that you can make smaller pieces fairly easily. I get 1/32" thick balsa for the outer two layers and 1/16" for the inner with each layer's grain rotated 90 degrees from the previous.

I liberally apply yellow glue, clamp it to a flat surface and wipe up the excess. I use layers of tin foil so that the plywood doesn't get glued to my radial arm saw deck. It makes awesome fins and rings.

The actual stuff is a bit different. It's more of two outer layers with a composite fill layer in between. It's still strong, but I think my homemade stuff is even better.

Doug
Old 04-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Master Modeler

This was listed on an old post somewhere from 2002....

Mach 1 Industries Inc.
20 W. Lake St.
Chisholm, MN 55719
(888) 225-4007
http://www.cpinternet.com/~mach1/

Specializing in Balsa-Ply specialty balsa plywood, airframe tubing, nose cones, modeling supplies and rocket kits. Free Catalog.

The link doesn't work anymore and I haven't tried the number.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:00 PM

Dear Barone
I tried to open the files you posted, put could not?

You said?
(At the forward end of the motor tube, approximately 1 inch aft, are four holes 90 degrees apart. The baffle was simply a length of BT-50 coupler (well, thicker than normal) with a plug in the aft end. This was inserted into the motor tube until it was flush with the forward end of the holes.)
I do not understand, put maybe if I see the plans, also what is a Tang

Also what was the thickens of the Balsa-Ply fins?

Everyone Knows the Launch Lug needs to be at the center of gravity or was there two launch lugs on the Lift-Kit and one on the Body-Kit.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Dear Barone
I tried to open the files you posted, put could not?
Arley,

If you can't just click on them to open, you'll have to save them first and then open them by double clicking them from the directory you save them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arley DAvis
You said?
(At the forward end of the motor tube, approximately 1 inch aft, are four holes 90 degrees apart. The baffle was simply a length of BT-50 coupler (well, thicker than normal) with a plug in the aft end. This was inserted into the motor tube until it was flush with the forward end of the holes.)
I do not understand, put maybe if I see the plans, also what is a Tang
The holes are punched in the motor tube about 1" from the front, 90 degrees apart like you were mounting four fins on a rocket. Once you save the tif images and open them, you should be able to figure it out. Tang was an orange drink (couldn't resist). The tang is just something to connect the recovery system together with (and the body kit). Again, I've got a drawing of it in the tifs provided.

Quote:
Also what was the thickens of the Balsa-Ply fins?
They were 1/8" I think. But that was the ply. I think you can use 1/16" basswood okay. I'll re-measure and post when I get home.

Quote:
Everyone Knows the Launch Lug needs to be at the center of gravity or was there two launch lugs on the Lift-Kit and one on the Body-Kit.
Only one launch lug and it was with the lift kit. I haven't mounted mine yet but I'm putting it at the joint between the lift kit and the body kit.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:31 PM

I finally figured out how to save it over into Coral Draw!

First left clicks your mouse on a file then when the window comes up click Save Target As, then save it into your drawing program.
After studying it and figuring out what they were talking about, for they were using different terminology for most of the parts. I now plan on adding the definitions to the diagrams so it’s not so confusing. I’m sure however did the instructions, has not a lot of experience in drafting.

Since they do not tail you were to but the launch Lug I would install a motor and find out were the center of gravity is and place the Launch lug at that location. You might even what to install two, one on the left-kit and one on the Body kit just to be safe.

The plans said the fins were 3/32” Balsa-Ply, I can make my own by using a thin wood center with balsa on the outsides of the hardwood sheet.