Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Default Fill In The Blanks

I have a book my Mom bought me back in 1970 called The Complete Book of Model Aircraft Spacecraft and Rockets by Louis H. Hertz, copyright 1967. It's been a prized possession of mine since it was the first book I ever got with model rockets in it. The rocket chapter isn't huge, but it's rich in history and some unknowns. I'll post some of it here to share and to ask for details. Nearly all the photos were provided by Estes and a few from the NAR.

The first photo from Estes shows a Falcon , X-15, and Dyna-soar BG. I find it hard to believe the X-15 is a glider and it doesn't look like the original plastic X-15 Estes released in the early 70's. It looks more like the Cox release. The Dyna-soar is a complete mystery to me. Was it a kit prototype, a DOM model, or not even associated with Estes at all?

The second photo shows the MMI Aerobee HI and Arcon kits. It's the only photo of a MMI Arcon I've seen.

The third photo is an Estes collection shot.

Later I'll post some photos from the book of competition events to see if anyone recognizes the people in the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Flying-Models001.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  47.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Flying-Models002.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  36.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Flying-Models003.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  89.4 KB  
Old 09-20-2005, 09:00 AM
Master Modeler

In photo #3

Notice the nose cone on the Farside X and the Ranger. It comes to a point. That changed as time went by to a blunt, rounded nose. And then to a shorter and even more blunt plastic nose later on – which continues to this day. I kind of liked the original.

As for the DynaSoar, I think it's just a acale model someone built. I've never seen even a mention of one (as a kit prototype) anywhere before. Maybe someone else has.

rraeford
Old 09-20-2005, 09:52 AM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

I checked the rockets produced By Estes and only the falcon of the three gliders was an Estes kit made by 1967. The Falcon was produced in 1963.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

To rraeforrd, I thank you made a mistake, The rocket in the photo is the Ranger that had 3 motors. Kit #K-06 Ranger 1962 used nose cone BNC-60L Balsa nose cone.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:34 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

if you enlarge the photo with the three gliders, the text there reads (if not exact quote, sorry,had to close window to reply) - " upper two are individualy designed rear engine models, lower is built from a kit "

that would seem to imply that the only kit was the lower one .

~ AL
Old 09-20-2005, 08:22 PM
rocket dinosaur

I may be mistaken, but it appeasr tht X-15/X-20 Dynasoar models are "scratch built "models. Cox in 1971 might have produced a Dynasoar plastic model rocket. Nt sure if it ever reached the shelfs or not.

shockie
Old 09-21-2005, 12:34 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle3
I have a book my Mom bought me back in 1970 called The Complete Book of Model Aircraft Spacecraft and Rockets by Louis H. Hertz, copyright 1967. It's been a prized possession of mine since it was the first book I ever got with model rockets in it. The rocket chapter isn't huge, but it's rich in history and some unknowns. I'll post some of it here to share and to ask for details. Nearly all the photos were provided by Estes and a few from the NAR.

I checked that book out of my local library so many times in 1967, after I first found out about model rockets. That book was in the kids section. It wasn't until I ventured into the adult part of the library in late 1968 that I found that the Handbook Of Model Rocketry had been there the whole time!

A year or so ago I managed to get a copy of the Hertz book off of eBay. Wow was that fun to look at after nearly 40 years.

Green Dragon has it right. The caption reads:

"Fig. 154. Three examples of rocket boost gliders are pictured here. The
upper two models are individually designed and built rear-engine boost
gliders. The lower photograph shows a front-engine boost glider built
from a kit. It has a wingspan of 10 inches, is 12 inches long, and weighs
.40 ounces.
Estes Industries, Inc. "
Old 09-21-2005, 12:50 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
In photo #3

Notice the nose cone on the Farside X and the Ranger. It comes to a point. That changed as time went by to a blunt, rounded nose. And then to a shorter and even more blunt plastic nose later on – which continues to this day. I kind of liked the original.

rraeford

I still have a balsa 60L nose cone. It is over 3/4" longer than the current PNC60L. Of course, the shape of those balsa nosecones varied anyway from time to time as the bits for the plumb grinder wore out and were replaced.

You can blame the Goonybirds for the shorter PNC60L. I guess the shorter ones looked funnier and they could only afford one mold back then. Those were the two-piece injection molded version. They got even shorter when the one-piece blow-molded version was made.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:59 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
I still have a balsa 60L nose cone. It is over 3/4" longer than the current PNC60L. Of course, the shape of those balsa nosecones varied anyway from time to time as the bits for the plumb grinder wore out and were replaced.

You can blame the Goonybirds for the shorter PNC60L. I guess the shorter ones looked funnier and they could only afford one mold back then. Those were the two-piece injection molded version. They got even shorter when the one-piece blow-molded version was made.

The Big Bertha that I posted the pic of the other day has a balsa 60L cone. I also have an old Bertha with the two piece cone that I plan to do in the yellow/white/black scheme, and the current one piece cone version. Should be interesting to see how much difference there is when I finish.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-21-2005, 07:16 AM
Administrator

As for the BG photo group, I guess I always wondered if those were Estes DOM winners since the photo credit is Estes Industries, or is the credit just for the Falcon.