Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2006, 10:57 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Default Nothing better to do ?????

Obviously these agents have nothing better to do ....such as maybe looking for terrorists with REAL hostile intent against the USA instead of HARRASSING hobbyists minding their own stinkin' business !
Just another typical grand waste of taxpayer dollars by overzealous gov't employees, not to mention in direct violation of a court ruling by a judge.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...?threadid=25465

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-24-2006, 04:26 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Obviously these agents have nothing better to do ....such as maybe looking for terrorists with REAL hostile intent against the USA instead of HARRASSING hobbyists minding their own stinkin' business !
Just another typical grand waste of taxpayer dollars by overzealous gov't employees, not to mention in direct violation of a court ruling by a judge.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...?threadid=25465

It's a crying shame .....

Like some of you other old timers here on this forum I flew a good bit back in the days before strict regulation. You could call ahead to the vendors attending the launch and pick up your motors there and take what you didn't use back home with you to fly another day. Ron with Loc/Precision was a motor dealer for the full product lines of both AeroTech & Vulcan back then. Hobby Line through L750 Smokey Sam sold right on site from the dealer of your choice, no problem. The good ole' days, you betcha.

I only have one HPR motor left in my magazine, an Ellis single use K600 that never got it's cert. I've been an LEUP holder since 1997, the first in my State. I don't mind the background checks, fingerprinting, inventory/record keeping, BATF agent visits or even the liscense renewal fees - because I refuse to give up a part of my hobby that I enjoy just because of the extra effort now required, but it is disheartening and very tempting to do exactly that and give up on HPR. Depending on where you live you may not even get an LEUP even with a variance and harassment of the dealers will only lead to having fewer dealers available that are willing to sell motors. Someone made reference to "Ken" in that thread at TRF but the moderators pull so many posts over there I can't even tell who the dealer was. Perhaps Ken with Performance Hobbies in D.C.?

I enjoy flying LPR, MPR & HPR with this hobby but you must admit it's a bit scary when an LEUP is required for a G75. If you would have told me 20 years ago that I would need a license for a G75 I would have fallen to the ground laughing and asked you what you were smokin' Come on man, a G75 - really?

(stepping down off my soapbox)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 03-24-2006, 06:37 PM

The thing that REALLY torques me off is BATFE is defying and VIOLATING the orders of the judge that has been ruling in favor of NAR and Tripoli. They are acting like nothing more than jack-booted thugs by harassing us over chemicals that are far LESS dangerous than gasoline or lighter fluid !

Old 03-24-2006, 07:24 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The thing that REALLY torques me off is BATFE is defying and VIOLATING the orders of the judge that has been ruling in favor of NAR and Tripoli. They are acting like nothing more than jack-booted thugs by harassing us over chemicals that are far LESS dangerous than gasoline or lighter fluid !

..... and the BATF seems to step it up every time the NAR and TRA move forward and make some progress with the lawsuit.

I believe it's going to be hard for the BATF to refute whatever burn rate data that the NAR and TRA are currently gathering.

I thought Senator Mike Enzi stated it really well in his press release about the ruling and I quote:

"People who build and launch model rockets for fun should not have to give up their hobby due to an unnecessary set of obstacles and an unjustified claim which classifies rocket propellant as an explosive. This safe, mind-expanding activity offers many benefits to today’s youth including increased interest in math, science, and space exploration while providing them with a fun recreational activity. While this decision is not the end, it gives rocketeers firmer footing and gets them closer to enjoying their hobby without having to bear the burden of unnecessary regulation. I hope the BATFE will see clear to give those law-abiding citizens the space they deserve and that in the end rocketeers will enjoy the same freedoms with their hobby as rock collectors and scrapbookers enjoy with theirs."
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 03-24-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:46 AM

I hope once all is said and done, the only HPR regs that we have left are those by the FAA regarding altitude waivers and absolutely ZERO left regarding the regulation of storage, purchase, or USAGE of propellant.
It makes absolutely no sense to me to regulate something that has far less potential of hazard than the 20+ gallons of gasoline contained in the typical automobile fuel tank.
The current regulations just give more sense to the old credo; "Common sense is not all that COMMON"