Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2018, 01:00 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Thanks for the kind words, folks;

Work-related reasons prevented me from participating in NARAM this year, and frankly didn't afford me the time to build a Scale entry either. Disappointing was all that, but my teammates Steve and Rod were kind enough to truck the STA to Pueblo for the Classic Model event. While I'm at it, let me say congratulations to our good friend Mark Chrumka of the Uncertainty Principle team for his outstanding first place finishes in both Scale and in Classic. Well done, Mark!

Tbzep is quite right; the STA made its debut in 1980. It's a model not often cloned, I suspect, in part due to the special plastic parts and the corrugated wraps.

Wolf asks if those plastic nozzles were used elsewhere - not to my knowledge, at least not in any other Estes kit that I'm aware of.

Verna asks about the flight impulse - well, as recounted by my teammates, and as noted by Jim, our first flight was on a B6, and turned out to be significantly underpowered. The guys made a second flight on a C6, and that seemed to go much better. It's a big and draggy model, so in hindsight we should have just jumped to the C6 in the first place.

As for Jim, thanks for the RSO service, and Lori and I are hopeful we'll see you this October for CMMF VI. Don't forget the Friday night barbeque!

One note about the corrugated wraps: they took a bit of effort, but as mentioned in the initial post I found that I could craft a decent representation from a sheet of Styrene cut to size, and then applying 0.010" x 0.060" Styrene strips over top. Tamiya Quick Setting cement did the trick. The photo below shows the finished main body wrap before application. I wasn't aware of the Apogee generic corrugated wraps (thanks for that tip!), and I'll have to check those out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Main Body Wrap.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  168.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Tamiya Cement.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  45.2 KB  
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 08-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
One note about the corrugated wraps: they took a bit of effort, but as mentioned in the initial post I found that I could craft a decent representation from a sheet of Styrene cut to size, and then applying 0.010" x 0.060" Styrene strips over top. Tamiya Quick Setting cement did the trick. The photo below shows the finished main body wrap before application. I wasn't aware of the Apogee generic corrugated wraps (thanks for that tip!), and I'll have to check those out.

I think your homemade wraps give the model a better look and match up well with the perfect edges on your wings and fins. A vacuum molded wrap with it's rounded corrugations would detract from the precision that your built up wraps give the model.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:31 PM
Master Modeler

Very nice, I remeber every rocket on those pages, but I could not recall that one as well.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:42 PM
BP Mafia

Slick! I've had the plans out recently trying to figure out if I thought I could make a go of it. I think I saw some parts somewhere and was considering picking them up. Never came to anything.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-12-2018, 06:36 PM
A Rocketeer

John,

Wow! Just outstanding. First time I have seen one built. You did a fantastic job on it. I have an unopened kit that I have had for years in my basement. I haven't been able to decide whether to build it or sell it.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Space Trans America 1a .jpg
Views: 106
Size:  387.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Space Trans America 2a.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  323.7 KB  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:23 PM
Craftsman

Another option is you can also 3d print all of the plastic parts, including the nose cone with raised separation lines.

You can find the 3d files here.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3035892
Old 08-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
Thanks for the kind words, folks;

Work-related reasons prevented me from participating in NARAM this year, and frankly didn't afford me the time to build a Scale entry either. Disappointing was all that, but my teammates Steve and Rod were kind enough to truck the STA to Pueblo for the Classic Model event. While I'm at it, let me say congratulations to our good friend Mark Chrumka of the Uncertainty Principle team for his outstanding first place finishes in both Scale and in Classic. Well done, Mark!

You really had to see John's Space Transport in person to really appreciate it fully. It was an amazing finish. It was through mission points (3 stage) that we were able to leap frog the Flying I-beam Kids.

Mark, Al, and I missed seeing you John. We're looking to catch up with you at Muncie. We did hang out a lot with Rod and Steve. I hope Rod's truck didn't give him any trouble on the way home. Again, looking forward to enjoying the company of the Flying I-beam Kids in a year, though we may try to come out to one of your launches this year. You all are a class act and the model for competition should look like.

Cheers,
Buzz
Old 08-19-2018, 08:20 AM
Not so Junior

I have a recent redraw of the decals I can post when I get back to my pc.

kj
Old 08-19-2018, 08:37 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Beautiful clean work John!

A model I would like to see an Estes bring back.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 08-19-2018, 09:14 AM
When Pigs Fly!

I saw this build at NARAM, to me it was the standout!
Amazing, clean work.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!