Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2014, 06:31 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Question Care and Upkeep of a Camroc?

Ok, so I've got some luck with info on the Cineroc. Now it's time I try to get some info on the Camroc (C-1).

My Camroc's condition issues: The Light Locks, the Shutter Spring (AKA "rubber band"), and the Foam Strip have all suffered over the years.

The Light Locks are rusted pretty badly. I'm presuming that some sanding, and naval jelly is all that is needed. Yes? No? Oil?

The rubber band shattered when I tried to reset the shutter. I know that all I need to do is replace it... Since mine's destroyed beyond any practical use, does anybody know what size I need to replace it with?

The Foam Strip disintegrated upon removal. I had no chance at all to take any kind of measurements of it. I need to know what dimensions/type of foam I should use for the camera.

I have no idea on the condition of the felt ring. Any info on that would be appreciated.

The use issues: I'm also interested in how I'd load the film. I'm presuming that finding/developing this may be problematic.

I'm pondering a modification to allow for the use of a keychain cam. I'd prefer it not be a permanent alteration. Anybody done this before?

Thanks!
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Last edited by K'Tesh : 01-31-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:38 PM
Master Modeler

The Camroc uses a #8 rubber band.

The light slides always rust, especially if they are left over film in the cartridge. You can sand them down and still use them, at least I could. Once I tried to find a place to laser cut some but that never worked out, I ended up cutting some reasonable facsimiles out of brass and stainless steel shim stock. You really don't need the ears on the end.

The foam inside the barrel of the camera always disintegrates into black goo. You might try making a replacement out of black open cell foam from the craft store, or just leave it out like I did. It really didn't seem to make a difference. Vern told me it was there to cut down on light reflections in the barrel but that they didn't know if it was needed or not. It is about 1/4" thick but the thickness is not critical. Just not too thick.

Finding a suitable film and processing it (yourself) is the easy part. Cutting it is not. The size is 1 9/16", and really needs to be that size so the retainer ring holds the film in plane for proper focus. There was a guy on here once who cut 1 1/2" circles and said he got it to work, but IDK if I could.

I bought an (expensive) 1 9/16" arch punch and Scott and I cut some circles. The -only- way I found to cut the film was to lay a thin sheet of copper on the basement concrete floor, and then put the sheet film on that. Carefully lay the punch on the film (emulsion side up) and hit the punch square and hard. If you don't hit it square it won't cut all the way around the circumference. You have to do this in total darkness of course, but you can practice in the light. The film base is extremely tough and will dull the punch in short order however. What you really need is a punch and die (not just a punch), but I have never seen a punch and die set in 1 9/16" diameter. Swinging a heavy hammer towards your hand in the dark takes some practice. I did end up putting a a tiny piece of glow-in-the dark tape on the "hitting" end of the punch, that helped for aiming.

I bought some ASA 400 Tri-X 4x5 sheet film. I think Ilford sells it now. The plastic lens precludes the use of color film. Somewhere in an ancient article there was a guy that substituted a glass lens and shot color.

The felt light locks worked OK on the cartridges I have, but I always covered up the slot with black gaffer's or electrical tape after removing the slide.

For processing, I used standard D-76/stop bath/fixer and made up a mask to fit the 120 film slide in my enlarger.

All in all it was sorta fun but the Cineroc is a lot easier. The pictures you get from the Camroc are marginal at best.

Here's an old thread where we talked about some of the same stuff as you are asking:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6796

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Ok, so I've got some luck with info on the Cineroc. Now it's time I try to get some info on the Camroc (C-1).

My Camroc's condition issues: The Light Locks, the Shutter Spring (AKA "rubber band"), and the Foam Strip have all suffered over the years.

The Light Locks are rusted pretty badly. I'm presuming that some sanding, and naval jelly is all that is needed. Yes? No? Oil?

The rubber band shattered when I tried to reset the shutter. I know that all I need to do is replace it... Since mine's destroyed beyond any practical use, does anybody know what size I need to replace it with?

The Foam Strip disintegrated upon removal. I had no chance at all to take any kind of measurements of it. I need to know what dimensions/type of foam I should use for the camera.

I have no idea on the condition of the felt ring. Any info on that would be appreciated.

The use issues: I'm also interested in how I'd load the film. I'm presuming that finding/developing this may be problematic.

I'm pondering a modification to allow for the use of a keychain cam. I'd prefer it not be a permanent alteration. Anybody done this before?

Thanks!
Jim
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 PM
Master Modeler

Here's a drawing I did of the slide that I sent out to try and get laser cut. That was over 10 years ago though, these days with more people having laser cutters you might have a better chance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Camroc Film Slide.pdf (6.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Cool

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for the info!

I sanded one of the light slides and it looks a lot better now. It also seems to work a lot smoother. The other one is in rougher shape, but I'm sure it'll clean up nice.

I was actually able to disassemble the shutter mechanism, now I just have to get a new rubberband and a short length of thread to replace the old.

Rather than destroy an authentic part, I'll try to make a replacement shutter to give me the keychain camera video effect I want. I'm thinking that an 808 mounted behind the aperture with a shutter that allows the camera to fill the flight while it's climbing, then when the ejection deploys, have the shutter trip (perhaps with a frame or two of actual image) then film the decent would be cool. If I'm careful, I may be able to clone the parts, and thus not put an actual camera at risk.

Thanks Again!
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.