Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
When you say "paper", what specifically did you use and how did you adhere it to the balsa?
You can do this one of two ways. Buy the adhesive postal label paper, lay the fin down on the sticky side and cut the paper away with a hobby knife around the fin. Do both sides.

Or, buy some spray glue, spray glue on printer paper and repeat steps above. There are many different methods to do this and these are the ones I use most of the time.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

Yeah I have to say go ahead and finish your model to make it look nice, dont go overboard and build a porcelain version ( See Rosko -Racer :-)

I followed the "Zicafoose" method for papering mine. Use store brand full sheet label paper for your home printer. Lay the balsa on the label and trim away with your knife, flip and repeat. Use some thin CA along the edges. Little bit of sanding along the edges and done. Go real light on the primer, sand then a coat of base white , then color of choice. Again light coats of white then light coat of your color of choice.

My clone Mach-10 does not have the belly tank, I replaced it with a "skid" to help with landings. It flys great on B6-2's and yes I even flew it with a C6-3 and it was quite awsome !

So you can do what you like, this is what I did, and since I decided I wasn't going to enter in a BG contest I went with a better finish. Even with the extra weight for the finish it still boosted very high on a C6-3. Not the best pic attached but I think you get the idea !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1516_1_3_1.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  194.3 KB  
Old 09-16-2009, 12:07 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

I'm still waiting to paint and trim mine; it's been rainy and/or humid for most of the past week. It's sanded and primed and sanded again, and ready to paint, maybe this weekend. Probably going to go with a red paint job and a mix of the stock decals and a set I got from Scott B. quite some time ago.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Probably going to go with a red paint job and a mix of the stock decals and a set I got from Scott B. quite some time ago.

Really? What did they look like? If you need more or different ones let me know.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Really? What did they look like? If you need more or different ones let me know.

They are a set of Der Red Wulf decals that I never used, and now seems like a good time to use them.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!