Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2018, 02:15 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default First launch of my Semroc Omega with video camera conversion

A couple of years ago, my brother bought me a Semroc Omega kV-64 kit, despite the fact neither of us had little, if any, knowledge of model rocketry. It sat in my office for a while, but I eventually decided to get on and build it. I researched methods of adding a video camera, including on this forum and the Rocketry Forum, and ended up adding a modified key fob camera. It came with no external casing, and had a 10cm long ribbon cable from the circuit board to the camera. I used a modified Sharpie lid as the cowling for the camera.

This weekend saw the first launches. I started with a single stage launch, which didn't even leave the launch pad. At first it seemed that the rocket was stuck on the launch rod but, as the ejection charge didn't separate the nose cone and deploy the parachute, it may have been a dud motor. Anyway, a second single stage launch (using a C11-5) worked perfectly. After that I went for a 2-stage launch, using a D12-0 and C11-5, and this launch was also a success. I was amazed how fast and high it went! Below are some screen grabs and video from the 2-stage launch, as well as a pic of the camera and a couple of the completed model.

Video here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  _DSC0071-1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  36.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  516II5y8S4L._SL1000_.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  60.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  _DSC0076-1.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  134.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 19.59.04.png
Views: 102
Size:  1.12 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 19.59.29.png
Views: 94
Size:  999.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 19.59.58.png
Views: 104
Size:  876.9 KB  
Old 01-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Dazed and Confused

Nice!
Old 01-16-2018, 03:25 PM
Lost his Drifter

Nice looking country. No snow too.
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 01-16-2018, 08:30 PM
Master Modeler

Great job from build to video!

I bet Carl would be pleased...

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:46 AM
Craftsman

Chromedome,

Beautiful build and a great video. Yes, cas2047, Carl would be very pleased.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Avid Builder

Chromedome,
Nice build and video. Done like an expert modeller. Have you caught the model rocket bug yet?
Old 02-01-2018, 07:11 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome
A couple of years ago, my brother bought me a Semroc Omega kV-64 kit, despite the fact neither of us had little, if any, knowledge of model rocketry. It sat in my office for a while, but I eventually decided to get on and build it. I researched methods of adding a video camera, including on this forum and the Rocketry Forum, and ended up adding a modified key fob camera. It came with no external casing, and had a 10cm long ribbon cable from the circuit board to the camera. I used a modified Sharpie lid as the cowling for the camera.

This weekend saw the first launches. I started with a single stage launch, which didn't even leave the launch pad. At first it seemed that the rocket was stuck on the launch rod but, as the ejection charge didn't separate the nose cone and deploy the parachute, it may have been a dud motor. Anyway, a second single stage launch (using a C11-5) worked perfectly. After that I went for a 2-stage launch, using a D12-0 and C11-5, and this launch was also a success. I was amazed how fast and high it went! Below are some screen grabs and video from the 2-stage launch, as well as a pic of the camera and a couple of the completed model.

Video here
Beautifully executed and presented (and no wait for the 8 mm movie film to be developed)! If you and your brother put up an online write-up of plans with illustrations (or photographs), it could help others fly such cameras aboard their Semroc Cinerocs as well. Also, Boyce Aerospace Hobbies offers a 3D printed plastic Cineroc casing (see: http://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/?page_id=265 ), and so does Shapeways (see: http://www.shapeways.com/product/2N...eroc-fits-bt-60 and http://www.shapeways.com/product/RK...roud-fits-bt-60 ).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR