Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2017, 08:31 AM
the middle-aged rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I received the Quest parts order, but the body tubes (T20 and T35) were the regular, white-overwrap kraft paper tubes, which are fine (maybe they're shipping out these to make room for the MPC/AVI-type tubing, or maybe they get their tubes from multiple manufacturers?). What shape is their new 30 mm blow-molded nose cone with the molded-in attachment lug? I didn't see it on their website, but I know that they're still getting all of their parts up on the site (their new motor mount tubes and "new-size" centering rings weren't on it before). Also:

They're now out of the old MPC/AVI/AVI Astroport-type scale Tomahawk plastic fin units (which isn't surprising, since I'd seen them listed as a "Limited Quantity" item on the Quest website for a year or more). "That mold is old" (literally), but cast resin and 3D printed duplicates can be made. They substituted (at no extra charge, even though they cost more) the slip-on, T20-size "Tomahawk-like" fin units that they use in their Starhawk kits.

The tubes you got are the same as I did. I was referring to quality, tight wrap with no gaps. I should have said they were like the early Quest tubes. Nice and white and able to be used unpainted(thinkTracer). For a while the tubes had wide spirals. The only MPC tube I have is in a boxed ASP kit.I don't know why they refer to them as fiber they're ordinary tubes with a slightly thinner outer wrap of white that is semi transparent and has a slight overlap that can be sanded smooth.

As for the 30mm nose come it is essentially the same shape as the older one but, blow molded with an attachment loop like the T 20 cone. Mine weighs 7 grams and was molded in red. If you look at the nose cone page at Quest you will see the two 30mm cones side by side. The red one is the new one

Intestingly enough they still list the old Tomohawk fin unit in two colors.

Last edited by jdbectec : 11-05-2017 at 08:54 AM.