Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Craftsman

Default Okay, I've got to ask . . .

RD,

Having followed your departure from Estes and the ensuing speculation unfold on this forum and another, as to why you departed . . . what's the reason, rationale, as to why you can't tell rocketeers as to what transpired?

Assuming you weren't terminated, did Estes have a non-diclosure type agreement with you or is it simply out of devotion to the company?

I know RoguePink had PM'd me about returning to St. Louis, but I understand he's still working for Estes.

Anything?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:27 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot
RD,

Having followed your departure from Estes and the ensuing speculation unfold on this forum and another, as to why you departed . . . what's the reason, rationale, as to why you can't tell rocketeers as to what transpired?

Assuming you weren't terminated, did Estes have a non-diclosure type agreement with you or is it simply out of devotion to the company?

I know RoguePink had PM'd me about returning to St. Louis, but I understand he's still working for Estes.

Anything?

Thanks.

First of all, Rougepink no longer works for Estes, his job was posted on the TRF last month. From what I understand, he was going to leave about nine months ago, stayed, and then left quickly.

I was an independent marketing consultant for Estes, having done trade shows, designed rockets and had my designs produced and wrote instructions and other projects.

I was asked to be the moderator of the "new" Estes forum, which started at the end of Dec 2006, the forum took off like a "rocket" with approximately 650 members in four months.

I tired to be the "conduit" between my fellow rocketeers and Estes, asking the questions on how you, the consumer wanted to see changes, new kits and improvements , and, to try to get thing changed.

I was just as surpised as all of you when the forum was taken down without any warning.

I have seen many aspects of the hobby, both positive and negative from being involved with the forum.

I appreciate the fact that Scott gave me the opportunity to continue here as the rocket Doctor.

I am also glad that I have another opportunity to continue my work with the Golden Scout project, I had invisioned a massive launch, with the Scout, painted gold in a tribute to Vern and Gleda Estes and the hobby as well.

Carl from Semroc took this a step further to take my vision and to produce the Scout kit once agin and to carry my dream and vison further by attempting to set a new world record for the amount of rockets flown in one launch.

I am very excited about this, what a fitting tribute for the 50th anniversary of the NAR and to Vern and Gleda for making this hobby possible.

I will be at NARAM and I would like to meet my fellow rocketeers from this forum there.

You can read my JOURNAL in a future issue of LAUNCH, telling how I got into the hobby, my 4 H years and beyond.

I have seen and done a lot in the 43 plus years that I have been in the hobby.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Craftsman

RD,

Thanks for responding and being able to see some of your thoughts.

Still, with the clarification that you were an independent marketing consultant, back to my original question, is there a reason why you prefer not to tell people what transpired or lead to your departure from your contract with Estes?

With you being independent from Estes (not a full-time employee) is there a sense of loyalty/dedication, was there a non-disclosure agreement?

I, for one, am simply not understanding the mystique behind two individual's rapid departure - especially with both yours and Roguepinks' 'hobbyist' viewpoings and activity. You both appear to be the only ones involved with Estes that seem to be active in the hobby.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Master Modeler

I had a hand shake agreement, I was told that "Your services are no linger needed" on April 21,2007, the day the forum officially shut down.

I had four designs slated to be produced during 2007, they were pulled as well.

a former marketing manager, who is no longer there was the beginning of the end for me, aparently, he didn't like what I was trying to accomplished and pressed the issue with management.

I am not bitter towards Estes, just amazed, someone in the know, is told, you are no longer needed.

As far as rougepink goes, I really don't know, he was very talented, and , had great visions of good thing to come.
As a matter of fact, we sat next to each other at a new products meeting going back to Oct 2006. I ptiched my stuff, and then, he pitched his.

For my own personal reasons, I cannot go into details about the events leading up to my demise.
Like they say, when one door closes, another one opens, hopefully, I can get hooked up with anothere company who will carry my visions forward. Like I mentioned previously, the Golden Scout projcet is one of my visions, that will come to light.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Craftsman

Fair enough. Thanks for responding.

It's just interesting to see the evolution of Estes, especially as we head into the 50th anniversary and the, already noted, lack of involvement from Estes with NAR events.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Master Modeler

I tried to change that...........but go shot down, oh,well, at least I tried.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:45 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

It must have been extremely frustrating for you to supply them with lots of great ideas that would benefit real rocket hobbyists (not toy buyers) to only have them repeatedly shot down.

If Estes was only 50% as responsive to good ideas/requests as Semroc is they would be a great company.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Master Modeler

That's the problem, they don't want to know from those who know!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:06 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

It sounds like they only wanted suggestions if it was what they wanted to hear, not what people really want.
Short-term vision such as this is good for quarterly balance sheets by selling lots at Wal-Mart, but is dismal for long-term performance due to virtually zero long-term customer retention.
They have long term customer retention due to motor sales only because there is no real competition to them for BP motors.
I'd bet Aerotech's balance sheet looks much better than Estes' and they actually respond to customer motor wants....they often have MORE motor selections than customers actually want.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
That's the problem, they don't want to know from those who know!!!

Very true.

When the forum was unceremoniously yanked down without any reason whatsoever I remember coming to the conclusion that Estes must not really need or want input from true modelers and/or builders. They churn out engines, a bunch of plastic starter sets and the occasional bring back, and that’s it. It must make them plenty of money, and I guess they aren't interested in deviating too much from that course.

It really does make me appreciate all of the smaller vendors that provide those of us who are looking for a challenge with what we need to keep us interested and engaged.

Estes does play their part, getting folks interested in the hobby and providing engines for countless launches. I personally think they could do much more though.