Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I just want to make it perfectly clear, this is not my Q & A session, I'm 2,000 miles away and I will NOT be answering any questions, this will be Barry's "show" not mine.

We are still working on the details yet.

Oh, I understood completely. But, with your consent, was suggesting you to be the person to present the questions for everyone. We'd need a liaison. I thought that you would be the logical choice, especially since you know Barry personally, and the fact you set all this up.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
RD,

I think you're missing the point of what Gus was saying........

“What Gus is saying is.... “ (from The Right Stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
If every member of YORF is on the thread, and you ask for a question, suddenly the thread is 500 posts long!

Somewhere, there has to be a way to control the questions. A question que so that the thread isn't inundated with questions.

Personally, I like the suggestion where the questions are submitted before hand to you. You, acting as the moderator could then say "Our first question is from Gus in Michigan" and then Gus can type in his question to Barry. It's still live and we don't have everyone trying to post at the same time.

I agree almost completely, except I think it needs to go farther. Do not try to be so “free” about this that it turns into the anarchy or overwhelming mess that something like this could turn into. And I am not even talking about people trying to act badly, but you are wide-open for that to happen too.

I could see things like this playing out. Someone asks a question, Barry does not give as much of an answer as some would like, so in one minute 12 people all post a message essentially saying “answer the question!”. And when Barry does not (since it may involve one of many things that he could not provide more public information about), then another 87 people post more “answer the question!” messages. It would be a melt-down.

Something like this has got to be moderated.

Also, this is only 2 hours. In theory that sounds like a lot of time, in practice it is very SHORT since typing at a keyboard is a very inefficient way to communicate compared to talking. If it is a “Gus, now it is time for you to type your question” type of thing, then this assumes Gus is refreshing his browser every 10 seconds or so, because if Gus only did it once per minute, then a minute is wasted for Gus to even start to type a question, and that is going to take more than a minute. So minutes go by before Barry even gets a Question from Gus, never mind how long it takes for the answer to get typed from Barry’s computer.

That would be a very inefficient use of those two hours.

So please, take the questions from people in advance, so the time spent typing at a keyboard in those two hours is on Barry’s computer and not dozens/hundreds of other computers.

And I have no problem AT ALL with you looking at the questions and selecting the “top ten” best ones to ask first, and so forth, leaving the less useful questions for the end if there is time, and leaving the junk where it belongs.

I do not even think you want to do this on a part of the forum where everyone else can post. Because if you did leave it “live”(fully accessable for posting by everyone that is) so that if you could tell “Gus” to type their question...... are you 100% sure nobody else is going to jump in and make posts anyway? Could a special “room” or new forum be created for this, limited only to a few people to post in?

If not, if this is free for everybody to post in, what will stop anyone from barging in, and making disruptive posts? Suspend them later, or ban them later? That would not do any good for ruining this Q&A session. What if some had second accounts as true aliases so you’d never know who it was?

Also, everyone needs to realize this. No matter who it is, there will be questions that a person would not be able to give the complete answers you might want to know about. I would expect he will say some things about the possible sale of Estes, but do to expect a lot of details about all the things you would like to know. This is what I mean about how if this was “live”, and he answered part, but not all, some would be posting a lot of messages saying “you didn’t answer the whole question” and such.

He’ll answer whatever he can to a group of very knowledgeable rocketeers. But that does not mean that Rocket Doctor is having Barry injected with Truth Serum to force him to tell you everything. And by that I am not implying Barry will lie about anything, just that there are areas of business or business plans that anyone who runs a company cannot answer 100% to the public. I would rather him NOT answer a question than to give an answer that turned out later not to be true.

- George Gassaway

Last edited by georgegassaway : 03-27-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
Oh, I understood completely. But, with your consent, was suggesting you to be the person to present the questions for everyone. We'd need a liaison. I thought that you would be the logical choice, especially since you know Barry personally, and the fact you set all this up.

This has been quite an undertaking at best. I'm starting to get a headache. The final format is being discussed right now, and, I will post it here. It's not my decision how it will be set up, Barry want's it one way, and, there's not much that can be done about it. At least , he is willing to field questions.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I would be very happy with Ken moderating the questions. I think it might make the experience more pleasant (less chaotic) for Barry and more useful for all of us.

I will be working that evening so I won't be able to participate live but if I could nominate one question to ask Barry (via Ken) it would be this:

What are the biggest challenges facing Estes right now and what are you doing to meet them?

I am curious to see what questions others would ask if they knew they only get to ask one question.

RD,

Are there not web conferencing hosting services such as WebX and the like that can handle the traffic?

We could just chip in and have live phone conference through AT&T or similar provider...

Scott could charge a $5.00 event fee to cover some if not all the costs?

Just some thoughts.

Bob
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
RD,

Are there not web conferencing hosting services such as WebX and the like that can handle the traffic?

We could just chip in and have live phone conference through AT&T or similar provider...

Scott could charge a $5.00 event fee to cover some if not all the costs?

Just some thoughts.

Bob

Bob, a thread can work. I know everyone would love to have the chance to speak to Barry personally, but a well organized, moderated, Q & A thread seems like the best way.

RD, no need for a headache. It's quite simple actually. I should think Barry would prefer the organization and planning, but if you say he doesn't, well.....
Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Master Modeler

To my fellow rocketeers here on YORF, I want this to be fair to all members here. Thanks for your suggestions and input.

I have been on both side of the fence, now, there is weeds growing inbetween.

Like I have mentioned before, I have no input as to the questions or the answers.

And, as it has been metioned by a few members here. Barry will not answer personal questions, nor , will he answer questions that are confidential to the company .

Also, repeat questions would make no sense, nor, if an answer is given that you don't like, don't keep asking for a reply. We move onto the next question.

I have talked to Barry , and, he wants the thread type live Q & A, I tried to convince him otherwise , it's a no go.

We should all be happy that Barry has agreed to this in the first place.

All I ask is that both sides be courteous, civil, and non combatant.

Moderators will be standing by.

So, the original format will be used, I apologize to those who won't be able to participate, but, at least the opportunity exists for a Q & A session.

So. on Monday March 30th, I will set up a thread at 4pm Colorado time under "Ask the Doctor" and the title of the thread will be "Ask Barry".

And, I ask that only one question per member and keep it as brief as possible so all members have the opportunity to ask a question.

I thank everyone in advance for their understanding and remember, we are all rocketeers and hobbyists.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Craftsman

This is a great opportunity Ken, so thank you again! I look forward to participating.

I would like to take one exception and do hope that Mr. Tunick realizes that not all of us are rocketeers and hobbyists, however with this step I hope he takes one further step towards becoming one.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:50 AM
7/21/61

Ken,

I'm good with your plan and appologize for giving you a headache. If Barry is comfortable with the format that's all that matters.

My thanks again for setting this up.

I'm really looking forward to the event.

Steve
Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Ken,

I'm good with your plan and appologize for giving you a headache. If Barry is comfortable with the format that's all that matters.

My thanks again for setting this up.

I'm really looking forward to the event.

Steve

Ditto. Getting him here in the first place seems like a milestone, so thanks for that! Most members of the forum know how to conduct themselves(Bill , that goes for you too ), so that's probably not going to be an issue. It think most of us are anxious to hear what he has to say and just wanted to make the most of the opportunity.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot
This is a great opportunity Ken, so thank you again! I look forward to participating.

I would like to take one exception and do hope that Mr. Tunick realizes that not all of us are rocketeers and hobbyists, however with this step I hope he takes one further step towards becoming one.

Barry realizes that those here range from kids, grandkids,son's and daughters as well as adults and those in many professions.

I want to Thanks everyone again for their understanding in the format.

Monday will be here befroe we know it.
Thanks again

RD