Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2017, 12:45 AM
Master Modeler

Default Estes Puma and Avion build in 3 days

Away from home I was able to get 2 builds done in record time, 3 days. The Puma is a newer kit from Estes, great little bird but there was some minor issues. I bought 2 of these kits at Hobby Lobby and one of the kits was missing the balsa parts and dowel:y: And the bag was sealed. I emailed Estes and the great customer service I'm used to from them did not leave me disappointed. The design is pretty neat but I really don't like the tab construction but understand it does make for an easier build for the novice. The tab areas of balsa take more time to conceal and require a bit of putty. Also the instructions were incorrect with the dowel measurements, should have said to cut 1.5 inches not 1 inch. The color scheme on the bag looks cool until you have to mask everything and try to paint the rocket, what a little challenge. Since I was not home, I did not have my Tamyia tape and had to use regular masking tape. The black was hand painted using Testors square bottle enamel since it is next to impossible to mask. I forgot to bring black spray paint so I bought a little jar of Testors black and used the cheap Testors white brush to apply the paint. If I were to build again I would not glue the black pods on until after painting. The decals went on nice and easy and in the end I was pretty happy with the results. The Avion is an Apogee kit that was real simple to build but the balsa was a little soft for my taste, I guess I am used to Estes wood. The Avion kit comes with peel and stick decals, the body decal was good but the fin decals were pretty bad so I took them off the rocket. Since I was not at my home I could not use balsa sealer so I once again tried FNF, still trying to master it. There is nothing wrong with balsa sealer but I like the fact that I can use FNF anywhere if I am not at home. I still have to practice more with FNF before I go replacing my balsa sealer. I may use sanding sealer on my vintage builds and use the FNF for the new Estes kits. I was able to build both rockets in one day and let everything dry overnight. The next day I shot grey primer followed by Krylon Acryli Quik Gloss White. The third day I masked the white and shot Krylon Acylic Quik orange, let it dry a few hours and hand painted the black pods. Tonight I applied the decals, only with Krylon Acryli Quick could I build this fast, but I would not recommend it. The Avion was finished the same way, built in one day and let it dry overnight. The next day I primed and shot gloss white. The next day I masked and shot the Krylon Acryli Quik red. Tonight I applied the peel and stick decals. I did not bring by white glue with me so I had to use Titebond II. I did not really like this glue, not as good and regular Titebond or white glue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0266 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 21
Size:  445.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0272 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 25
Size:  269.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0278 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 13
Size:  275.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0280 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 16
Size:  264.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0282 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 11
Size:  264.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0284 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 28
Size:  293.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0290 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 23
Size:  240.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0294 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 16
Size:  251.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0295 (1280x851).jpg
Views: 23
Size:  237.4 KB  
Old 07-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

You may have mentioned in the past where you buy Acrylic-Quik, I just don't recall. I looked on Zoro, and it is a little pricey.

I'm going to try John Boren's recommendation for Krylon Industrial Primer. It's Tough Coat, product # A 00341. Zoro has it for $5.09 a can, and free shipping on $50 orders. It may make sense to just pay the price for the Acryli-Quik since shipping would be free for what I want.

I typically use Rustleum Sandable Filler Primer, and only paid $3.15 a can on Walmart.com, but they change prices all the time. It is currently $4.97. The nice thing is you can order any qty of product and just have it shipped free to your local store.

By the way, I tried John's method of "saturating" the rocket with primer, and then using sanding sponges. Worked great, but once you rinse the sponge, you are wet-sanding! I just kept sponge wrung out, and let the slurry of primer build up, and periodically wipe it off. Yet another way to get a super smooth finish. Of course, not easy to do unless you are at home!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Master Modeler

I buy the Krylon Acrylic quik from full source.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:03 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Thanks, they do have pretty decent prices.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

Nicely done as usual, Scigs. What's next on your plate of vintage builds?

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:19 PM
Master Modeler

Right now I am finishing 2 LPR rockets from old kit parts and working on another Puma build, hopefully will come out better. When I am done with these builds, I am thinking maybe the Centuri Space Shuttle Kit.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:16 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I am thinking maybe the Centuri Space Shuttle Kit.

Oh man, that would be a super build to follow.