Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2015, 08:52 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Ok, Bill...

You got a bunch of snow. I got a bunch of ice. Want to trade?

A turd sandwich for a s#!t taco? Hmmm, let me think about it.
Maria and I were wondering who got the ice if we got all the snow. Guess that clears things up a bit.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 02-16-2015, 08:53 PM
BP Mafia

Oh, yeah. I got a TON of rockets finished.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 02-16-2015, 10:03 PM
BP Mafia

As it turns out, I got more than I expected done during this lousy stretch of weather (that isn't quite yet done.) Off the top o' my head:
The custom Satellite Drone still needs ring fin/fin work. I'd rather not fly it with the ring looking egg-shaped as it does now. The ring isn't in great shape anyway, but I figure there must be some extra sanding needed with the fins I cut. Easy fix when I get around to it.
While I was looking for decals for another rocket, I ran across another Estes 220 Swift, so I built it last night while watching a C*O*P*S marathon. Does it get any better?
The decals I was looking for were for the Estes Star Trooper, and they did turn up. Won't help, though. This is going to be one ugly rocket.
Masked the fins and shot a coat of gloss white on the Quest Evader Cruise Missile. I'm not even going to try the stickers. I can print off a new sheet of water slides using the online scan. This might be a decent looking bird.
The Estes Comet Chaser got hit with gloss white and should get the black metallic today. Pretty much a fire and forget bird.
The Crossfire ISX is painted and ready for stickers. This one is a great performer, so I'm looking forward to flying it at B6-4 Field. I saw another one fly there a few years back. My buddy kept flying it on C6-5s, trying to lose it. It kept coming back. I was impressed.
Another rocket I found on Saturday was an Estes Firehawk, the plastic and pre-colored tube one, not the BT-60 one. Had it built in about 30 minutes. Mini engine powered, so there's a chance I'll get it back. Semi-RTF, so I can't say I care a lot.
The TLP Dragonfly has 9 of its 12 fins attached, up from 4 on Friday. Then there are still a bunch of fiddly bits, but I'm happy with the progress.
I had a crisis with the Semroc Aphelion last week. I painted the upper portion of the body tube yellow, but somehow I measured wrong and the section was too short. Solved that problem by slicing the wrap decal in half and lining up the two halves in the correct place. It'll look factory stock in the on-pad pictures.
I started building an Estes Star Rider about a year ago and misplaced the long fins in my build room. Found them Sunday while on my big clean up. Needs fillets, but after that things should move on quickly.
Finished both of the new MPC birds. I'll fly them once at B6-4 Field with the other one for the photo op. Maybe they'll impress me then.
The USR Sniper has the upper section and fins painted metallic black. I should be able to get the orange on later in the week. Should be a great looking bird.
The Semroc Triton was in limbo because of a painting tragedy. I wanted to go with a bright color, so I did a fluorescent body and metallic blue fins and nose cone. Kind of a puke UF look. The problem arose when I masked the body to paint the cone and fins. The orange paint peeled off badly. First time I ever had that happen. I brush painted a touch up yesterday. It's not pretty, but it'll fly.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 02-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Master Modeler

I used the weekend in pretty much the same way.

I got a good white coat on the Estes V-2 and Lune R-1, primer on the Explorer, Payloader II and built and primed a Thunder Bee. Started the final paint (black, red, yellow and white) on the long neglected Aero-Dart.

Oh, I finally finished the Aphelion. Face card stock on that one. Looks fairly decent. It was good to finally finish one of these buggers that have been lurking around in their underwear for far too long. After I get these out of the paint queue, I'll address the equally long neglected Texas Firefly. Still have to decide how I want to paint it. I may just go simple to get it done and flying.

I've made a pact with myself to not start any more builds until I get these rockets finished. Guess I'll see how long that deal lasts.