Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Neal Miller Neal Miller is offline
Master Blaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 241
Default Mid 60's Engine Date Codes ?

I have some Mid 60's Estes Model Rocket Engines with a three letter date code.
Does anyone know how to translate these codes ? The two engines at the bottom are some of the last pound-second engines made in 1968. the A.8.3 & the B.8.4 engines are from some-where after 1963, ( the mailing tubes had a zip code). note the two different codes on the A.8.3 engines . These Engines are from before my time in Model Rocketry so any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0214.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  948.0 KB  
__________________
Neal Miller
Master Blaster NAR# 58296
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-21-2013, 05:21 PM
mwtoelle's Avatar
mwtoelle mwtoelle is online now
Flying since 1977
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 336
Default

Look around the motor case, there should be a date like the one you see on the motor pictured on the bottom right.
__________________
'Til next time,

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Neal Miller Neal Miller is offline
Master Blaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwtoelle
Look around the motor case, there should be a date like the one you see on the motor pictured on the bottom right.


These motors do not have that type of dating system only the three letter code.
__________________
Neal Miller
Master Blaster NAR# 58296
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 PM
mwtoelle's Avatar
mwtoelle mwtoelle is online now
Flying since 1977
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 336
Default

Interesting that you show some English-designated motors (B.8-0s from 1968), I actually have some fired C6-0 and C6-7 casings from April 1968. Probably, the records of the date codes on the older motors have probably become lost over the years.
__________________
'Til next time,

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
These motors do not have that type of dating system only the three letter code.



I have a couple of 'red' tubes of Estes motors that have similar codes. I don't know how to decipher them either. My guess would be from '65 or '66 based on some pieced together info from some other things that were with the motors, but that really is just a guess.

Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:30 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 8,567
Default

Kaplow said that the coding started in 1976 and before that, they all had dates. He's like Sheldon when it comes to being wrong.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Kaplow said that the coding started in 1976 and before that, they all had dates. He's like Sheldon when it comes to being wrong.


Welp, there ain't nuthin' but them funny codes on these motors, very similar to the ones in the photo by the original poster. Kaplow is a little off on his statement.


Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Neal Miller Neal Miller is offline
Master Blaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I have a couple of 'red' tubes of Estes motors that have similar codes. I don't know how to decipher them either. My guess would be from '65 or '66 based on some pieced together info from some other things that were with the motors, but that really is just a guess.

Earl


Earl, I would guess along with you on the 1965-1966 Dating.
Here are the facts I have about the motors In my picture : 1, the A.8.3 motors came in a red tube with a postal label with a zip code. ( 1963 or later) the motor instructions in the tube had
a Model Rocket Safety Code that was up-dated in 1965. in both the 1966 Catalog and on the engine instruction sheet there are depictions of Model Rocket Motors with the three letter
code.

So unless we should hear from one of the real Model Rocket Authority's we may never know.
__________________
Neal Miller
Master Blaster NAR# 58296
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Chas Russell's Avatar
Chas Russell Chas Russell is offline
Retired Missile Technician
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 865
Default

Maybe someone could ask Vern Estes about the early coding system if he attends the National Sports Launch in Pueblo, CO this weekend or at NARAM-55 in Aurora, OH in July.

Just a thought.
Chas
__________________
Charles Russell, MSgt,USAF (ret.)
NAR 9790, Lvl 1
SAM "Balls Three"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Earl's Avatar
Earl Earl is offline
Apollo Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
I have some Mid 60's Estes Model Rocket Engines with a three letter date code.
Does anyone know how to translate these codes ? The two engines at the bottom are some of the last pound-second engines made in 1968. the A.8.3 & the B.8.4 engines are from some-where after 1963, ( the mailing tubes had a zip code). note the two different codes on the A.8.3 engines . These Engines are from before my time in Model Rocketry so any help would be appreciated.


Neal-

Based on Ed's information then, it appears your B.08 booster engine is a 'V' code motor made by him, on some undetermined date. Looks like 'mid-60s' would be a good guess though.

Wonder who the 'U' operator code was for? All the ones I have end in U.


Earl
__________________
Earl L. Cagle, Jr.
NAR# 29523
TRA# 962
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018