Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2007, 07:38 PM
7/21/61

I'd also like one.

PM sent.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgornik
It was great to hear from all of you. I wish our dad were alive to know that his invention had such an enthusiastic crowd. I'm checking with my brothers about pricing and the like and will respond ASAP. l

Your father was a genius, and it is too bad that he isn't with us since next year we will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the hobby.....
Old 10-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
It was great to hear from all of you. I wish our dad were alive to know that his invention had such an enthusiastic crowd. I'm checking with my brothers about pricing and the like and will respond ASAP. l

I also joined just to respond to this...

Do you have any ideas about where the tooling (stamping dies) might be? You could fire up production on these again. If the tooling is gone, do the plans for the tools exist? Finally, if nothing exists, I could send one to someone to reverse engineer. When I am not playing with rockets I play a worldwide sourcing manager and and have some great contacts for this type of thing.

The biggest issue as I see it would be the tooling - would need to sell quite a few to make up the cost of the tools so if it is still sitting somewhere, that would be the best. Did your dad own the tooling or did Estes or someone else? If Estes owned it, they technically still would own it even if they forgot about it.

If there is no tooling, it would mean someone would need to fund some potentially expensive tooling up front without knowing they could sell many. If you didn't mind, I would be intersted in getting some quotes (once I buy one from you) and possibly making a batch of these.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Middle-Age Canadian Rocketeer

Default Any left?

After arriving late to this party, it would be a privledge for me to also purchase one.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:25 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Starts
I also joined just to respond to this...

Do you have any ideas about where the tooling (stamping dies) might be? You could fire up production on these again. If the tooling is gone, do the plans for the tools exist? Finally, if nothing exists, I could send one to someone to reverse engineer. When I am not playing with rockets I play a worldwide sourcing manager and and have some great contacts for this type of thing.

The biggest issue as I see it would be the tooling - would need to sell quite a few to make up the cost of the tools so if it is still sitting somewhere, that would be the best. Did your dad own the tooling or did Estes or someone else? If Estes owned it, they technically still would own it even if they forgot about it.

If there is no tooling, it would mean someone would need to fund some potentially expensive tooling up front without knowing they could sell many. If you didn't mind, I would be intersted in getting some quotes (once I buy one from you) and possibly making a batch of these.

Estes came out with a completely different fin alignment guile, they changed it so trheir wouldn't be a patent infringement issue.

As you know, the Estes version was plastic, had tabs (that broke off) to hold the fin guides and usually warped.

There was only one fin kwik, the original metal one.

I have adsvocated it's return on the Estes Forum, and we did have a discussion at Estes to bring the plastic version back but upgraded. The bottom line was, they didn't feel the customer base was there to support the investment.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:

I have one of these metal guides as well as the plastic knock-off.

I would love to get one or more additional metal originals for use by our club when we do classes. We will not be using them to glue all of the students' fins, rather we will show the students how to glue the fins manually and also how an excellent tool can be created and used to help. I love demonstrating basic techniques as well as alternate techniques.

So, let us all know about pricing and please let us know if any tooling exists for new production. You could probably sell quite a few (hundreds, maybe a couple of thousand) via web sales and eBay and if you got them into a large distributor nationwide you will sell thousands.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
if you got them into a large distributor nationwide you will sell thousands.

Thanks.

Man, I am hoping Carl will jump all over this and start selling them. A "Retro Tool" if you will
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 10-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:

That should be easy to price...$7.95 just like in the catalog.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 10-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

Seems like the number of "count me in"'s has exceeded the 20 offered up, but I'll pile on as well. The plastic tool is junk, and the masterpiece Rose fin jig, at $350 plus mandrels is a bit pricey for me...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

It does look like if the price is good they will be scooped up in a hurry. Unfortunately, because of the scarcity/rarity of this obviously collectable item, they are worth much more than you would probably think.

Most of us would probably never take them out of the package.

It seems to me since the item is pattented (did I spell that right???) maybe you should try and find a small machine shop (there are quite a few around me) and see if you could have maybe 200 of them made.

Sell the originals at auction.

http://sandmandecals.com/