Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2017, 09:21 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Estes Expedition

I have just about finished most of the building of my Estes Expedition I just got over the Christmas holiday.

This is a new kit and there is not much info or pictures about this kit. So I decided I should share what I have done at this stage. Sorry, I didn't snap more pictures along the way!

The rocket does not look exciting on estes website, but then I looked closer and realized it had 3 cut tubes, and 2 paper shroud to build. This kit was a lot of fun to build and went together fast over a couple of nights.

The only issue I am having with the kit is where the upper "finlets" on the upper shroud should go. I mistakenly placed the upper shroud joint inline with the launch lug line, but I think the instruction indicate that it should be inline with a fin line. However, looking at the instruction they seem to indicate that the little "finlets" that go on the shroud should be equally spaced above fins/cut tubes. Contrary to the printed lines on the upper shroud at 0,90,270 degrees and not 0,120,240 for equally fin locations. It is a small detail, and I'm going to just make up something likely to hide the seem.

I have keep the rear noses/shroud off so that I can pain the inside. With those lovely whole there you'll see in side, and once it is glues on there is no way to get enough spray pain up there.

It's going to be a while before there are enough warm day to prime and paint all the color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  EstesExpedition 1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  834.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  EstesExpedition 2.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  1.04 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  EstesExpedition 3.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  670.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  EstesExpedition 4.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  1.03 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  EstesExpedition 5.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  847.6 KB  
Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 PM
Master Modeler

That's one exotic looking space ship.

I don't have a clear idea of the size. I recall that the Honest John cone fit on a BT-55.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 01-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Based on the lines on his cutting pad, my guess is it is the BT-50 Mini HoJo nose.

Edit: I stand corrected.

Member of Launch Crue - http://launchcrue.org/

Hint #1: Do not use magician's flash paper for recovery wadding!

Hint #2: Clean your shoes after flyin' in that cow pasture - that ain't no dirt clod on the sole!

Last edited by gpoehlein : 01-16-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Old Submariner

I built this Expedition last October. The central tube is BT55 and it has a HoJo PNC55. I filled the spin rocket cavities of the PNC with Squadron Green and sanded them smooth.

As for the red rear nozzle and the rear fins, I had my wife paint them by hand after the rest of the model was painted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  expedition 10-16 (4).JPG
Views: 119
Size:  72.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  expedition 10-16 (1).JPG
Views: 175
Size:  56.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  expedition 10-16 (3).JPG
Views: 195
Size:  65.6 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 01-15-2017, 09:27 AM
Master Modeler

The first production run of the kit had the printed lines on the shroud in the wrong place. All further production runs should have the correct placement of the lines on the shroud. Those little pieces of card stock should line up with each of the fins. I added those little detail pieces to cover up the line on the shroud where it is joined.

John Boren
Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I built this Expedition last October. The central tube is BT55 and it has a HoJo PNC55. I filled the spin rocket cavities of the PNC with Squadron Green and sanded them smooth.

As for the red rear nozzle and the rear fins, I had my wife paint them by hand after the rest of the model was painted.

Thank you for sharing your Expedition. It looks like it turned out wonderful. And you correctly got the upper shroud "fin-lets" there.

I like the picture of the aft end. It shows that problematic sliver of main body tube bellow the cut pieces. Additionally, the complicated stock pain scheme and the nozzle, there is some planning and strategizing on how to do the masking and final assembly there. Hrmm...
Old 01-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
The first production run of the kit had the printed lines on the shroud in the wrong place. All further production runs should have the correct placement of the lines on the shroud. Those little pieces of card stock should line up with each of the fins. I added those little detail pieces to cover up the line on the shroud where it is joined.

John Boren

Hi John! Thank you for replying. The addition of all the interesting skill 4 and 5 kits along with other great non-3FNC really peaked my interest to get back into the rocketry hobby with vigor yet again, with kids this time.

I already goofed with the placement of the joint in line with the LL. It looks like the detail should be flush with the main body tube and not interfere with the LL and rod. I'm going to go ahead and place the detail "fin-lets" between the fins to hide the seem. I don't foresee any stability or performance issues
Old 01-16-2017, 03:33 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I've been working on house remodeling this past year, and have not checked out much of the "new" stuff. Glad to see some real builder's kits with features like cut tubes and paper shrouds/transitions. I'll be interested to see final outcome.

jeffyjeep,
Nice execution on yours!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 01-16-2017, 08:15 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I've been working on house remodeling this past year, and have not checked out much of the "new" stuff. Glad to see some real builder's kits with features like cut tubes and paper shrouds/transitions. I'll be interested to see final outcome.

jeffyjeep,
Nice execution on yours!

Thanks! With the compound tube cuts and the contour masking the build was refreshingly challenging. Fortunately, "The Vixen" did the masking for me (she's into it.)

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 01-21-2017, 08:25 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I spent a couple nights this week on the rocket prep-ing for primer.
  • a couple passes with Titebond M&T on the fin and tube joints
  • filled the tube spiral seem with CWF and sanded
  • fillled the fins with CWF and sanded with block
  • applied CWF below the top shroud and sanded with block
  • applied thin CA to tube ends and sanded flush with block

My goal is a high build finish at the end. However, this is my first time with cut tubes or paper shrouds so I expect to learn a lot ( make mistakes ).

The upper shroud was not as smooth with the lower body tube as I'd hoped. I applied CA, and sanded as much as I feel comfortable. Then I applied CWF.

I wish I sanded the tips of the cut tubes to contour the body tube more, so the raised lip was not as prominent. I how the CWF will look OK when sanded.

Applying the CA to the aft tube, and sanding flush went very well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  EstesExpedition_Filled 1.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  587.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  EstesExpedition_Filled 2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  589.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  EstesExpedition_Filled 3.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  636.3 KB