Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 11:50 AM
BAR

Default KILZ Primer Compatible?

I went up Lowes today to buy some KILZ primer, want to try it for the first time to fill and seal balsa fins and primer at the same time, and something on the can made me stop and come back here for help; it says it is an oil based primer. Is this compatible with Krylon enamel-based paints?
Thanks,
Wick
Old 12-27-2008, 12:24 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickball
I went up Lowes today to buy some KILZ primer, want to try it for the first time to fill and seal balsa fins and primer at the same time, and something on the can made me stop and come back here for help; it says it is an oil based primer. Is this compatible with Krylon enamel-based paints?
Thanks,
Wick

Always test the two for compatibility before trying it out on the model. In general, Kilz is a good primer for almost anything. Be sure to let the Kilz dry completely, like a couple of days, before hitting it with the color coats. If you can still smell the solvent, it isn't ready for the next coat.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-27-2008, 01:46 PM
7/21/61

I've been using Kilz spray on primer for several years now.

I've had zero compatability issues with Krylon, Rustoleum, or Duplicolor (I have not yet tried it with the new version Krylon).

The cheapest price I've found on Kilz is at Walmart. But be aware that at some stores they stock the spray Kilz next to the roll-on Kilz, not with the other spray paints.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:48 PM
BAR

Thanks a lot, guys, I appreciate it.
wick
Old 12-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Micro Builder

WARNING!

Kilz is NOT really a primer: It's a stain killer ment for use on interior/exterior drywall latex house paint. It has NO adhesion enhancing etchant additatives to help it cling to the base materials and Is not recommended for use under any spray can paint PERIOD.
I've spoken directly with the manufacturer of this product several times PERSONALY by phone and they assure me they would NEVER suggest under any conditions that their product be used for the purpose we are attempting.

Because KILZ is so thick I had super high hopes for this stuff but It's Just not a good Model rocket use product.
Sorry Gus, if you've been using KILZ, I'm sure you know what i'm talking about, It can't be masked at all even after allow it to dry for weeks. Ya might get away with a single color application.

I've had this stuff lift all the way to bare wood and tube. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I've compeletely runied at least 3 models trying to make this stuff work. It's simply not worth the trouble.

Instead try Any Old Gray Automotive Primer can be used to completely fill all wood grain and tube seams without other fillers by applying about 3 coats before sanding. sometimes you'll need aother couple coats on DEEP balsa grain or super deep body tube seems but generally not much more.
I've found the cheapest primers I could find were at wal-mart.
the stuff i'm currently using is called ColorPlace Grey Primer at about .96/ 10oz can.
So far it's worked just fine under Krylon (Old formula) Rustoleum (many sub brands) and Duplacolor rattlecan paints.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by micromeister : 12-27-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:00 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromeister
Sorry Gus, if you've been using KILZ, I'm sure you know what i'm talking about, It can't be masked at all even after allow it to dry for weeks.

John,

I have the utmost respect for your building skills and I appreciate what the manufacturer has told you. But all I can do is relate my personal experience. For at least the last 3 years I have primed exclusively with Kilz on every rocket build I've done and have had no adhesion problems, even with multiple maskings. I usually only let the final coat of Kilz dry for a day before I spray the initial base coat.

I've not noticed any memorable lifting of the basecoat with either blue painter's tape or transparent tape. I've had no noticible chipping on nosecones (plastic or balsa) either.

I think I produce respectable, but not fantastic, finishes. I tried Kilz based on a suggestion in a thread on TRF, and found it so good at sealing and filling balsa and body tubes that I use it exclusively now, even on scale competition models. I've found no significant drawbacks to using it compared to other primers and find it saves a great deal of time in not having to pre-seal fins and body tube spirals. A couple of coats of Kilz, sanded, and I'm good to go.

Maybe Kilz shouldn't work, but it sure seems to.

Steve
Old 12-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Micro Builder

Yeap! I've had exactly one model that did fine with the stuff but then a series if failures from several different cans purchased from different placed I've heard of some folks yourself included have fine luck with the stuff, and many others who've had similar experences to mine. These super mixed results were the reason for contacting the manufacturer it just didn't make sense for there to be that much difference by location or even weather conditions????
As is turns out the word PRIMER on the can is at best very misleading. As Kilz is really just a surface preperation formulated specifically to KILL dark colors and Deep Stains on interior drywall latex paint covered walls. This is Why the material does not really grip the underlaying materal it is simple holding on with surface tension (the lack of air).
As menitoned I had such high hopes for the product myself as I don't use FnF or any other fillers anymore either. I was hoping Kilz would cut down of the number of Primer coated needed to completely fill Wood grain and tube seams. but alas as we've been discussing while it MIGHT fill the seam great it's just not holding onto the base material so it's pretty much worthless if your attempting to do any multi color or masking work.

While I really dislike dising or badmouthing specific products, but I have to make an exception with Kilz "Not really" Primer. I've stopped using it entirely; Have dropped it from all my finishing tech-tips and do not recommend it to anyone anymore of any use other than that intended by the manufacturer......under latex interior/exterior house paints.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:06 AM
NAR # 19250 - Life Member

I've been using Kilz as a primer for a couple of years now, based on the recommendation of a couple of people in my club. Works fine, sands pretty easily, holds the colors well, no adhesion problems at all.

My $0.02; YMMV
A dark night in a city that knows how to keep its secrets. But high above the quiet streets on the 12th floor of the Acme Building, one man is still trying to find the answers to life's persistent questions. Guy Noir, Private Eye.

Fox Valley Rocketeers: http://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org
Old 12-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Craftsman

I have mixed results with Kilz, lately I have been tryig primers over the Kilz before I put on a final coat. I sometimes get good results with no problems, just Kilz by itself. I have had difficulty especially with larger diameter birds. Most of my compatibility issues have been with duplicolor on 2.6 and 3 inch diameter airframes. Small parts of the paint just seem to peel for no reason while the rest of the paint is strongly adhered.

Joe
Old 12-28-2008, 01:03 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Kilz is compatible with just about everything except traditional Aero Gloss Butyrate Dope top coats.
Try coating Kilz with color Aero Gloss dope and you get a nasty mess.
If you like to use Dope out of an airbrush as a top coat use only lacquer/dope based primers.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !