Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosterDude
Wow Luke, did you figure this out on your own?

That's exactly what the US strategy was for winning the cold war, and it's commonly known. The US strategy for victory over the USSR was to engage in a war of attrition. The only thing different is this war of attrition use money as the means to an end, Star Wars. We spent money at a rate we knew they couldn’t match, the outcome was a US victory. However, I believe nobody really won the cold war....it just ended. I think it's important to remember the Soviet Union failed because it lacked the ability to reform, and the complete loss of touch with the countries workforce. The Soviets economic, and political institutions dated back to the infrastructure created by Stalin in the late 20s/30s.

Oh geez louise... Do I have to explain EVERYTHING??? I guess the subtlety of the bold italicized word FIRST somehow escaped notice...

What I MEANT was that while our ingenious plan to bankrupt the Soviets and eliminate the threat of communism overrunning the earth did indeed bankrupt them, here we are 20 years later and our country is virtually bankrupt as well... hence, THEY WENT BROKE FIRST, but we're just a LITTLE WAYS BEHIND THEM!

I also find it an ironic twist of history that the Soviet's war in Afghanistan indirectly led to their downfall, and from the looks of the shambles our economy is in and the massive debt incurred over the last 8 years war on terror in Iraq and Afghanistan may lead to our country going broke as well... two superpowers felled indirectly by cause of fighting over a mountainous sandheap opium den hole of a country like Afghanistan....

JMHO! OL JR