Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I still have my 1b "kit" I got from you back in '98 soon after I joined WOOSH.

Yeah, I forgot you had one of those.

I know of only one person that actually built the thing. He ended up using the Apogee capsule though, but it was at my suggestion.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
Yes, that was a "kit" that I put together back in 1998. IIRC there were 14 of us that went in on getting sets of those tubes made because at the time none were available. The decals were drawn by me (from a scan of the originals) and were screen printed by After Hours Graphics in Ohio. They're no longer in business BTW, which is unfortunate because they did fantastic work. The capsule parts were cast by JimZ .

After I put the basic kit together, additional mission decals were made available as were the standard size tubes.

I was / am one of the chosen few. I actually started to build one soon after the tubes arrived and will probably finish it this winter. I've got JimZ capsule parts, too. And your right, the decals are downright beautiful!!

Sean
Old 09-03-2008, 02:19 AM
OLD COOT

I have been in rocketry since 1967 when I was 11 years old. At that time the Saturn 1b sold for $9.50. That was a fortune for an 11 year old boy. I did have a school teacher that built one and even launched it at a club launch and demo. It made a beautiful flight and was recovered great. There is just something magic about the 1b that I cant put my finger on. I do plan to get the Semrock kit when I can. I also have the Kosrox kit about 3/4 done after having it for 4 years or so. The Dr. Zooch kit is nice too. Is there any way I can get the tube kit that you guys are talking about? I would love to have one.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Master Modeler

I don't have any extras left, those that I did I used as trade fodder years ago. But honestly, you don't want it. The quality of the Semroc kit is better, plus you get everything - not just the tube sets.

If you bought a Semroc kit and threw away everything but the tubes (and the capsule I guess) then you essentially have this "kit". OK, the decals were nicer but really that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc4jta
I have been in rocketry since 1967 when I was 11 years old. At that time the Saturn 1b sold for $9.50. That was a fortune for an 11 year old boy. I did have a school teacher that built one and even launched it at a club launch and demo. It made a beautiful flight and was recovered great. There is just something magic about the 1b that I cant put my finger on. I do plan to get the Semrock kit when I can. I also have the Kosrox kit about 3/4 done after having it for 4 years or so. The Dr. Zooch kit is nice too. Is there any way I can get the tube kit that you guys are talking about? I would love to have one.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Estes K-29 Saturn 1B clone kit sold on EBAY

I had painstakingly created a really nice complete clone kit of the Estes K-29 Saturn 1B and sold it on EBAY back in March of 2004. The user ID of the person who won the auction was "tom*chc". If you bought your kit eight years ago, then it couldn't have been the one I created and sold.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglind
I had painstakingly created a really nice complete clone kit of the Estes K-29 Saturn 1B and sold it on EBAY back in March of 2004. The user ID of the person who won the auction was "tom*chc". If you bought your kit eight years ago, then it couldn't have been the one I created and sold.

I remember that eBay handle. He was buying a lot of stuff back then. He may still be, but with eBay's goofy new way of showing bidders there's no way to know who's who anymore.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Estes K-29 Saturn 1b

I had created two of those K-29 clone kits. I sold the second one, but the first one I took the time to build and fly myself. I used four C6-5 motors and it was an awesome flight...with a perfect recovery. I was so proud as that bird came gently floating down - that was one of my most exciting moments in the hobby so far!

Attached are a couple of pictures from that flight!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  K-29 Saturn 1b launch.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  476.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  EJECTION.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  220.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DECENT.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  214.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  RECOVERY.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  420.6 KB  

Last edited by mglind : 05-06-2009 at 02:44 PM.