Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedss396
Hi Gus, I sold the collection of MR Pubs on e-Bay. I have sold other Old Mod Roc items - some old motors, CINEROC, and a few old kits last year. While I did enjoy these old pubs, photos and things, its far better to have them going to someone who can use them AND preserve them for others. I don't have the time to get on this great forum very often , but its always fun when I can! Can't wait for some nice weather around here....
Thanks so much for stopping by here. As you know, this forum focuses on old rockets and the items you auctioned were amongst some of the earliest offerings in the hobby.

If you don't mind my asking, would you tell us a bit about your rocketry experiences in the early days? I'm fascinated that you had catalogs from Estes, Centuri, Coaster, and Central Rocket Co. How did you know about all those companies so early? Was it via ads in magazines or did you belong to a rocketry group? Which of the companies did you order from and any experiences that stand out?

Gus
Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

and to add to Gus's wishes I'd also sure like to see some fotos from that era if you should happen to have any

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Master Modeler

I would agree, the Estes 1961 catalog is a gem. But, was it the Denver copy or Penrose?
I have a collection of Estes catalogs from 1966 to the present, and a rare purple cover centuri catalog, don't remember the year in mint condition.

I also have quite a lot of literature as well.

From what I gather here, the seller is from NJ, especially with the Regulation N024 which was the regulation in NJ to have a permit for $2.00 to pruchase motors, no test, fill out a simple form, send in your $2.00 and that was it.

This is like the collection that went up for sale on ebay last year for around $3000.00, but was pulled, I guess the seller got a better deal off of ebay.

If anyone is interested, I still have over $4000 worth of Estes kits available for $2000 plus postage.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Early NJ Rocketeer

Default Some old information and photos...

Gus, going through all these old items brought back a lot of memories - I even found the original drawings I did back in 1959 for rocketry science fair project!
Rather then rewite a bunch of boring old stuff, try this -
Here is a link to the article I wrote back in 2007 for Apogee.

http://www.apogeerockets.com/educat...wsletter181.pdf

(Not a commercial, but Apogee has some nice kits and parts and fast service - plus they are great people to deal with!)

It also has some of the early photos - I have more old B&Ws.

You asked how I found all this stuff?
Back then, 1958-1970 I was really in to the hobby and was always looking for new motors, etc. they were advertised in model airplane mags mostly. One local hobby shop actually carried early Coaster motors for me..I think I was the only kid buying them! When a new catalog came out, I just put the old one in my rocketry box - and there it stayed. I attended some early NARAMs, but did not compete, I was pretty much a loner when it came to building these things....as you can see in the article!
Let me know if you have any quetions?

Take care....
Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 AM
7/21/61

Ned,

Wow! What a great article.

That was way more of an answer than I expected, LOL.

I'm amazed at the variety of stuff you tried (and lived through).

It sounds like we were similar in terms of being loners in doing rocketry. I had a couple of friends who were interested but mostly it was just my thing. I never joined any groups until I re-entered the hobby as an adult.

You mentioned that you went to some early NARAMs but didn't compete. Was there much sport flying at the events in those days? Meet anybody famous? Any unusual happenings?

I went to the Old Rocketeers Reuninon at NARAM 50 last summer and was amazed at the number of folks there who, like you and me, had been so totally absorbed by this hobby as a youth.

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. Really fascinating.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Early NJ Rocketeer

Thanks, Gus - glad you enjoyed it.
I KNOW I am lucky to have surrived some of those "science experiments"!
Mixing your own fuel back then was not a good idea.... a few close calls, but all-in-all it was a learning experience. I remember coming home from school and finding 3 or 4 large brown bags of zinc dust and sufphur on the front porch...it's hard to imagine ordering those materials and having it delivered to you door by Parcel Post todya!!! Same thing with ordering a 50 ft roll of that red, water-proof fuse.

I attended NARAM 7 at Aberdeen, MD, then 10 at Wallops, and 13 at Aberdeen, I can remember some launches, and seeing Vern, Leroy and Harry there, also somewhere I have pixs of that Rocket/Ballon launch at 13 (I think) .
(I was into drag racing as well, I drove a new 64 Chevelle SS to #7; a 66 SS 396 to #10 and a 69 Z/28 to #13)

My oldest daughter often went with me to the launches, much later (late 90's) my son (now in USCG S&R) and I built some Hi-Power vehicles. Still want to get into R/C B/G sometime....
Old 03-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default My e-bay input

Last summer I sold my entire "ground support" library stuff on e-bay. In short the collection sold for I believe about $400. There wre plans, books, shuttle stuff, Model rocket News but the catalogs drew the most interest. The catalog collection started in 1975-about 1990 something (with some duplicates).

The guy that bought this was paying for the early 1960's no doubt. But like the posting said when was the lst time you saw one of these!