Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:26 PM
The_Ripper

Default New Design -- SLS Lune R-1

The SLS Lune R-1 is an upscale of the 1.04" diameter Semroc Lune R-1 to LT-175 tubing. This design shares many of the same parts as the Semroc SLS kits Aero-Dart & Explorer and includes the same removable engine mount for 24mm or 29mm flights.

I cut the fin set from basswood stock and used the same tab measurements to fit a Semroc pre-slotted body tube same as used in the SLS kits. This design uses LL-320 3/16" launch lugs although my test model used 1/4" lugs since that size is prevalent at the launch site I flew at. Lune R-1 upscaled color vinyl graphics by Graphix & Stuff. Some build pictures are included below. Pictures of the first F42-8T test flight in these links:

http://tinyurl.com/8a4x7j

http://tinyurl.com/axun89

http://tinyurl.com/7neq55

http://tinyurl.com/9troup

The F42T EconoJet using the 8 second delay proved to be a great choice for a picture perfect deployment on it's first flight. D12-5 & E9-6 flights would require a minimum 48" rod to get up to speed and those selections would be great for demo flights on a smaller field.

Length: 41.095"
Diameter: 1.840" (LT-175)
Span Dia: 7.146"
Weight: 6.807 oz

D12-5......529'......Dv 17 FPS......48" x 3/16" rod
E9-6........875'......Dv 29 FPS......48" x 3/16" rod
F42-8....1,861'......Dv 3 FPS.......36" x 3/16" rod

Thanks for looking!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  007 Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  111.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  006 Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  104.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  005 Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  126.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  004 Semroc-SLS Lune R1 BC-17590 & Graphix and Stuff Decal Upscales.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  162.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  002 SLS Lune R-1 Screenprint.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  304.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  001 Semroc-SLS Lune R1 3D Image Export.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  14.7 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Semroc-SLS Lune R1.rkt (125.2 KB, 254 views)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Forest Sprite

A great version of a great rocket, Steve. The Lune-R1 is perfect for SLS upscaling! Nice job!

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Just another BAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
This first file covers the Series 085 and Series 10 Tail Cones, and the list of standard transitions from the original file. Unless you just want to get a batch of Semroc items into RockSim, hold off on installing this file. Wait until a full set of parts is posted.

Bill, one change from the other files you will need to make is the precision of one column. The "Rear OD" column needs to be set at 4-digit precision if you try creating the reversed nose cones. The OD value needs to be set at 0.0001". This value gives RockSim something to chew on, while not being large enough to be noticed visually.

Craig, I'll focus on the standard Semroc balsa reducers (transitions) and follow your lead regarding including both a normal and reversed part. I was just setting up the base template with decimal precision when I saw the file you posted. I am going to use it as template for basic transitions. I will probably post file later tonight for review.

After working with the .CSV files, I believe this is an area of Rocksim that the developers should look to update. Maybe a move to XML similar to the design file format. The .CSV files are not inherently the problem, but I've seen many inconsistencies while working with the files.

Some include:

- Extra field columns showing up at the end of the file.
- Question marks "?" appearing in the data.
- The inconsistent use of words versus value codes. (i.e. oz and mm versus 0 and 1, etc.)
- Errors in the data cause Rocksim to crash. (Stronger field validation could correct.)

Not complaining here. All these can be cleaned up and corrected manually. It's just my programming background showing through. I think the Rocksim program is a fantastic piece of software. I wouldn't be spending so much time in the data files if I didn't think so. However correcting some of these minor issues could make a great program even better!

... Bill
Old 01-02-2009, 10:55 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
Craig, I'll focus on the standard Semroc balsa reducers (transitions) and follow your lead regarding including both a normal and reversed part. I was just setting up the base template with decimal precision when I saw the file you posted. I am going to use it as template for basic transitions. I will probably post file later tonight for review.

You're going to tackle the Estes Classic transitions, too, right?

Quote:
After working with the .CSV files, I believe this is an area of Rocksim that the developers should look to update. Maybe a move to XML similar to the design file format. The .CSV files are not inherently the problem, but I've seen many inconsistencies while working with the files.

Some include:

- Extra field columns showing up at the end of the file.
- Question marks "?" appearing in the data.
- The inconsistent use of words versus value codes. (i.e. oz and mm versus 0 and 1, etc.)
- Errors in the data cause Rocksim to crash. (Stronger field validation could correct.)

I noticed those extra fields, too, but left them in place for this set, since the master file had them and it did not seem to be causing trouble. Yet, anyway. As for the words vs numerical values, it's probably a holdover from the earlier versions. I don't think these data files have changed that much over releases, other than adding new items.

As for those "?" in the data, are you seeing these in Notepad? In Calc, I see "xxx" whenever the column width is too small to show the data. If I resize the column, the data comes back up.

Quote:
Not complaining here. All these can be cleaned up and corrected manually. It's just my programming background showing through. I think the Rocksim program is a fantastic piece of software. I wouldn't be spending so much time in the data files if I didn't think so. However correcting some of these minor issues could make a great program even better!

... Bill

I understand. And I agree. RockSim has a lot of potential and could be a very strong program with just a little clean-up. I do know this -- Apogee wants RS to be a teaser for the high-end program, RockSim Pro. I'll bet the code is much the same, though, just with some additional code hooks.

One thing I wish RockSim had was a way for third-party code to be hooked in, with published API points.

Anyway, I'll tackle the tailcones. It won't take too long, maybe by tomorrow night. I'll combine your file with mine to complete the collection and post it as a single CSV.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Just another BAR!

Default Semroc Balsa Reducers (Transitions) - Rocksim Parts

Here is the DRAFT parts file for the Semroc balsa reducers (transitions.) It includes all transitions currently available on Semroc's web site except:

- BR-1120NT

It also contains "reversed" parts which are designated with a [R] after the part number. This allows you to easily add "small to large" and "large to small" transitions without the need to re-input data values. Have to give Craig credit for this cool time saver!

For CG location I used the same 71% of length used for nosecones for the standard transitions and to 29% of length for the "reversed" transitions. This can be changed based on any thoughts / feedback provided.

This file should be considered DRAFT for review purposes only until it can be validated and combined with the tail cone parts that Craig is working on.

Thanks,

... Bill
Attached Files
File Type: csv TRDATA_Semroc Balsa Reducers.CSV (21.9 KB, 267 views)
Old 01-03-2009, 11:06 AM
The_Ripper

Default New Design -- SLS Magnum D Hornet

SLS Magnum-D Hornet

Based on 5341 Centuri Magnum-D Hornet available from 1980-1983. Uses BTH-70 tubing and a BNC-70HAC nose cone are the same as used with the Semroc SLS ARCAS with a 29mm mount and EM-9115 for 24mm flights. Basswood fins, ejection baffle with elastic cord and other Semroc SLS kit standards that make for a strong and reliable rocket.

Length: 33.410"
Diameter: 2.247" (BTH-70)
Span Dia: 9.887"
Weight: 10.072 oz

D12-3.........305'.........Dv 11 FPS.........72" rod & calm conditions or Not Recommended
E9-4...........597'.........Dv 21 FPS.........Not Recommended (Don't even think about it)
F24-7.......1,364'.........Dv 10 FPS.........48" x 3/16" rod

Best suited for RMS or EconoJets. Try the RoadRunner single use E, F and G motors in your simulations. Not a good candidate for Estes D and E flights. Probably a good design to consider three motor clusters .....

Thanks for looking!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SLS Magnum D Hornet 3D Export.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  53.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SLS Magnum D Hornet Screenprint.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  235.9 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt SLS Magnum D Hornet EM-9115.rkt (66.1 KB, 259 views)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
A great version of a great rocket, Steve. The Lune-R1 is perfect for SLS upscaling! Nice job!

Mark \\.

Thanks Mark .....

It proved to be a really simple but enjoyable build and it gets a lot of attention at the flying field. I fly it with my PerfectFlite Alt15K in the payload section and the black plastic rivets in the photo links are to secure the nose cone.

SAM# 0052

Old 01-03-2009, 01:11 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Just another BAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
SLS Magnum-D Hornet

Based on 5341 Centuri Magnum-D Hornet available from 1980-1983.

Steve - another great looking SLS upscale design!

I like how you incorporated the engine baffle into the design.

Keep 'em coming!

... Bill
Old 01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Question "Got some 'splainin' to do..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
For CG location I used the same 71% of length used for nosecones for the standard transitions and to 29% of length for the "reversed" transitions. This can be changed based on any thoughts / feedback provided.
Craig and Bill,

You guys are getting kind of sophisticated for me.

Can you explain (in layman's terms) what the thinking is behind specifying the CG locations in these balsa parts? ('Cause frankly I'm pretty clueless as to why you're doing that. )

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Closed Thread