Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Rocket Boosted Gliders
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2017, 09:29 AM
Craftsman

I dont think there is any warp risk especially with a spar and through the tube mount. The paper is water resistant, but the glue is water based, do you have to seal the edges most likely.

It's slightly heavier than depron, but not enough to matter in this wing size...
Old 10-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Craftsman

Default FTFB actual weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
It's slightly heavier than depron, but not enough to matter in this wing size...

Can you weigh a sheet of this stuff, or a decent sized portion thereof? I'd like to know how many sq-in per oz this really is. If it's not really heavier than standard Adams fare, then FTFB would be certainly a winner.

Like that they're selling this by the 50 sheet case. Once, back in like '06, I contacted Adams themselves, about getting their stuff in 1/8" instead of 3/16". Well, they actually HAD some, and shipped me a case! Can't believe I went through all that in like 2.5 years, but I was quite the design/build weenie then
Old 10-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Craftsman

I'll have to check, on a trip for a week.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Craftsman

the flite test waterproof foam board is 117 grams for a 20" by 30" sheet or 28 grams per sq foot.
depron 6mm is 171 grams for a 27.5" by 39" sheet, 23 grams per sq foot.

A typical wing+tail for me is 2-3 sq feet total, so diff is 10-15 grams heavier with this board.
Since this weight is more toward the tail, they might require maybe 2-5 grams more nose weight and then paint weight since the board needs to be painted since it is brown. If you design something from scratch you can optimize wing placement to avoid the nose weight increase.

So an increase of .5-.75 oz total approx. compared with a an indentical depron setup. With a an original wing loading of 6 oz/sq foot, it isn't much of an increase.

Frank
Old 10-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
the flite test waterproof foam board is 117 grams for a 20" by 30" sheet or 28 grams per sq foot.
depron 6mm is 171 grams for a 27.5" by 39" sheet, 23 grams per sq foot.

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for doing this! So, in other words, a full sheet of FTFB weighs like 4.2z, which is lighter than I'd figured. That might get me to bite....

One other thing. How glueable is it? I mean, with wood glues and such? Have you tried to use it that way? If you could glue together two decent sized scraps and see how well/badly it adheres, that'd be great!

Thanks again!

Oh, one more curious thing....I just weighed a plain Adams sheet, one I'd gotten a few months ago. *That* only came in at 3.3z??? So, it appears that Adams *IS* making this stuff lighter and lighter......but not as strong or warp resistant?

When I first discovered Adams stuff back in '04, those first sheets weighed right around 5z, before slowly working their way down to 4.5z.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Craftsman

Mike, foam safe CA and epoxy don't stick well, most people use hot glue since it is sticky but it is heavy. The other good option is beacons foam tac, or bob smith foam cure glues. I prefer the foam cure, you can use it as a normal glue and hold it in place till it cures, or use it like clear fillets, or you can apply to both sides, then stick together like a contact cement. Foam Cure is pretty cheap for a big bottle. I've glued my servos in place with this as well. I don't think wood glue will stick to the paper covering. For painting you need to scuff with 320 grit and I've only had success with testors and model master enamel spray cans, other paints I've had soak through the paper and dissolve the foam slightly causing wrinkles in the paper. You need to be careful using not too sticky masking and removing it carefully to not pull off the paint, that was the same with depron.

For laminating sheets, I've used 3m-77 spray adhesive with no problems, it destroys the sheets to try to separate them. That's the lightest option.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
Frank,

Thanks for doing this! So, in other words, a full sheet of FTFB weighs like 4.2z, which is lighter than I'd figured. That might get me to bite....

One other thing. How glueable is it? I mean, with wood glues and such? Have you tried to use it that way? If you could glue together two decent sized scraps and see how well/badly it adheres, that'd be great!

Thanks again!