Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2017, 10:53 AM
Master Modeler

Default MPC Vostok Project

OK, I want to build an MPC Vostok. I know I know it's impossible. I have read and reread Chris Michielssen build of this rocket on his blog.
I can hear all of you saying If you want a good flying Vostok build a Dr. Zooch kit. I have and yes it's a good flyer. So now you're saying why do
you still want to build the MPC Vostok? The only thing I can say is because it's a challenge to me to build this rocket to fly and fly stable.
Somebody somewhere must have had a good flight. The only review I have is here https://www.rocketreviews.com/mpc-v...-jeff-lane.html and this one is using a C6-3 motor.

Some things I have thought about in the construction of the Vostok.
Would taking out some of the bulkheads in other parts to lengthen the 20mm body tube help to make room for the chute?
Would a BT-20 tube running the full length of the 20mm tube act as a double wall to help keep the heat away from outside plastic?
Would two chutes one for the nose cone and one for the mane body be better than one big one? Maybe a rear ejection to allow the
Chutes to be packed in one or two of the outboard plastic engine pods.

Now I know there is a weight problem with this model. I have decided to go with and 18mm Aerotech reload motor. Can anyone give me
some advice on their uses? I have never used them before.
Are these motor too hot for this model? This is why thought a double wall motor tube might help.
What would be a good size motor to use a D13-4 or a D21-4?

So please chime in if you have any good ideas or helpfully hints. Would like to do a build thread as I go along here or would it be worth it?
Help me out if you can.
THANKS.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Yeah, I think your idea of a tube within a tube to provide an air space between the engine and the outer plastic parts is a good one.

Joe
Old 11-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

What about that German model that Apogee sells?
Old 11-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 PM
Master Modeler

Thank JebiBoss I have a couple of those kits by Apogee. I want to concentrate on the MPC Vostok to understand how to build a reliable and stable kit. I can not find any information on this kit when it was offered in the 60s or 70s in any of rocket articles written back then. It's like they sold this kit in the 60s or 70s and no one has written a thing on what they remember about building it or how it flew. So far there's not much information on people trying to get this re-release of this kit to fly today. What is surprising to me we have a lot more resources of building materials and motors to choose from today.

This may be a model rocket that can't be made to fly stable but I'm going to give it a good try at it.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Craftsman

Check out Chris Michielssen's blog on building the MPC Vostok: http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...rt-1-parts.html

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879
Old 11-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
Thank JebiBoss I have a couple of those kits by Apogee. I want to concentrate on the MPC Vostok to understand how to build a reliable and stable kit. I can not find any information on this kit when it was offered in the 60s or 70s in any of rocket articles written back then. It's like they sold this kit in the 60s or 70s and no one has written a thing on what they remember about building it or how it flew. So far there's not much information on people trying to get this re-release of this kit to fly today. What is surprising to me we have a lot more resources of building materials and motors to choose from today.

This may be a model rocket that can't be made to fly stable but I'm going to give it a good try at it.

I bought that MPC Vostok back in the days (early 1970's,) and managed to fly it once, with a MPC labeled C6-2 engine (I think they sold/recommended that engine for this model). It flew pretty well, about what one would expect for an all plastic model. Never did fly it again, due to a number of relocations over the years, the substitute plastic base with the BT-30 slip on tube got misplaced along with the larger triangled snap on fins. I still have model itself on display inside my model rocket display case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Noris Vostok Model Build 001.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  36.4 KB  
Old 11-27-2017, 10:42 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks, Faithwalker I have read Chris Blog build he did on the MPC Vostok at least five or six times. It is a great read with some good tips. I liked everything about the blog build except the ending where the rocket went unstable.

Thank you dwmzmm I believe you are one of the first guys that have given an account of having this kit back in the 70s. Its good to hear you had a good experience and the flight was stable. The picture is nice to see. Thanks again. I wonder what the C6-2 motor would be equal to what motor today?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:49 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

No problem. Good luck with your project! I’ll be watching with great interest.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:38 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The old Estes OOP C5-3 will safely fly the MPC Vostok.
The way OOP and impossible to find Cox 18mm D8-3 is even better.
The only readily available 18mm current motors that will work are the SU Aerotech D10 and D21 or RMS18 D13/D24.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !