Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-26-2010, 12:16 AM
scigs30 scigs30 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,936
Default Another good find

Here is an X-15 I just picked up still in the box.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/tag/1802045016.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Randy's Avatar
Randy Randy is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Here is an X-15 I just picked up still in the box.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/tag/1802045016.html


Not bad but...

The following rockets have been recalled by Estes Industries:

1. X-15 RTF Flying Model Rocket Model #1890
2. X-15 RTF Flying Model Rocket Starter Set Model #1412
3. Air Powered Rocket GL-X200

Also see:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07319.html
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02142.html

I don't know how many times Estes has released some version of the X-15 over the years but yours is most likely one of those recalled. If not, you're good to go but no decent RSO will allow a recalled rocket to fly at a NAR launch. And it's not a matter of whether or not it can be made safe, it's been recalled.

If you decide to fly it, be careful packing the chute and wear a hard hat.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 AM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 8,564
Default

Sigs30's find is model #1741, first seen in the 1988 catalog.

I believe it uses the same X-15 model that was available in the 1970's.

Edit: added photo
__________________
I love sanding.

Last edited by tbzep : 06-26-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Initiator001's Avatar
Initiator001 Initiator001 is offline
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Not bad but...

The following rockets have been recalled by Estes Industries:

1. X-15 RTF Flying Model Rocket Model #1890
2. X-15 RTF Flying Model Rocket Starter Set Model #1412
3. Air Powered Rocket GL-X200

Also see:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07319.html
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02142.html

I don't know how many times Estes has released some version of the X-15 over the years but yours is most likely one of those recalled. If not, you're good to go but no decent RSO will allow a recalled rocket to fly at a NAR launch. And it's not a matter of whether or not it can be made safe, it's been recalled.

If you decide to fly it, be careful packing the chute and wear a hard hat.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com


The X-15 which was recalled is/was the relabeled Cox model.

The X-15 Sigs30 bought is the early 1970's Estes version powered by 'T' motors. I used to fly mine all the time on A3-4T & A10-3T motors.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes RTF X-15.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  9.1 KB  
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-26-2010, 03:05 PM
scigs30 scigs30 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,936
Default

Thanks for all the info....Was it still a good deal at 17 bucks?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is offline
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Thanks for all the info....Was it still a good deal at 17 bucks?

It was a steal, as usual for your finds.
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
Ye Olde Rocket Auction
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Randy's Avatar
Randy Randy is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Thanks for all the info....Was it still a good deal at 17 bucks?



YES!

www.vernarockets.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Mikus Mikus is offline
Hooked Badly
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Thanks for all the info....Was it still a good deal at 17 bucks?


An awesome deal.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2010, 04:12 PM
scigs30 scigs30 is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,936
Default

It came in the mail today in great shape.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-29-2010, 12:10 AM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 5,556
Default

My Estes "Firing Line" X-15 (and Vampire) always flew perfectly for me; the Cox X-15...not so much--on its first flight, mine weathercocked into an almost-nonexistent breeze that wouldn't have fazed the Estes one, and it parachuted onto the roof of a warehouse across the field.
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018