Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2018, 02:57 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

Absolutely beautiful.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Gord,

I turned some osage orange a couple years ago. Wow, that stuff is tough! I had a 2x2x12 block, so I decided to make my daughters napkin rings. You may know the trick, but after I turned the block round, I made my decorative cuts for each ring, then made parting cuts for every ring down just deeper than my planned inner diameter for the rings. I ran a large Forster bit into the end, and every time it passed the parting cut, a ring popped off, and just stacked onto the shaft of the bit.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 12-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Gord,

I turned some osage orange a couple years ago. Wow, that stuff is tough! I had a 2x2x12 block, so I decided to make my daughters napkin rings. You may know the trick, but after I turned the block round, I made my decorative cuts for each ring, then made parting cuts for every ring down just deeper than my planned inner diameter for the rings. I ran a large Forster bit into the end, and every time it passed the parting cut, a ring popped off, and just stacked onto the shaft of the bit.

Actually I did that same trick but in basswood for the rings on mine and Gus's Pad Abort's escape towers.

You learn so many neat tricks when using a lathe. A lathe also makes sanding and finishing a nose cone a breeze. Try priming, painting and polishing a nose cone on the lathe.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 12-20-2018, 08:16 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Actually I did that same trick but in basswood for the rings on mine and Gus's Pad Abort's escape towers.

You learn so many neat tricks when using a lathe. A lathe also makes sanding and finishing a nose cone a breeze. Try priming, painting and polishing a nose cone on the lathe.

After I posted, I realized this trick is a great way to make centering rings! I’m anxious to try. The wood lathe is a great tool to own. If I ever had to downsize my shop, I would still figure out a way to have room for a lathe.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 12-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
After I posted, I realized this trick is a great way to make centering rings! I’m anxious to try. The wood lathe is a great tool to own. If I ever had to downsize my shop, I would still figure out a way to have room for a lathe.

Agreed in addition, I would insist on including my dust collector.

http://sandmandecals.com/