Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2016, 11:28 PM
Master Modeler

Default Win Some, Lose Three

Oregon Rocketry tried out its new launch field "for real" today. A launch a few month ago was a near losss because of heavy fog.

Anyway. Really beautiful big field, but half of it was covered with oats. Rocket eating oats. Cheerios Revenge.

I had a good flight with a D12-0 to D12-7; kind of found it by luck.

Followed up with my Semroc SLS Explorer on a E9-6. Flew really beautifully; the E9 is close to one of the old Mini-Max BP motors so it is kind of appropriate. Saw about where it went down, but after stomping around for a half an hour, couldn't find the slightest trace of it. Attached a picture of it from an earlier launch so you can appreciate what I lost.

Next up, a recreation of an MRI Lepus, a neat swept fin 20mm model. More earlier photos attached. I put a C6-7 in it; flew straight and true. Stayed in sight, but despite a nice long orange streamer it disappeared into the oats.

Lesson learned! Attached several yards of surveyour's tape to everything after that.

I flew an almost minimum-diameter rocket with an E16-0 to E16-6. Excellent flight, with crisp staging and a more-or-less vertical flight. I had to hunt around a bit, but I found the upper stage.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefa...57623884892426/

Next, Hawk's Hobbies Bandit on an E28-4 RMS. Great straight flight. Near perfect motor for this rocket.

Final flight for me and the launch: Repeat flight of the just-named-it-now Eff Eff Express. This time with a F15-0 to F15-6. The wind had picked up a bit. so the upper stage flew at a 45 degree angle. Really beautiful flight, but descent was far enough away to the north that I didn't see where it ended up. More stomping around in the oats, this time fruitless.

Well, I accomplished what I really set out to do today, find a kit that worked reasonably well staging those Estes 29mm motors. Next time, I'll fly the replacement in a nice clear field.

Flight video of Eff Eff Express, flight 1.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  lepus_raw.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  98.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MRI_Lepus_lo.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  359.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  explorer_pad_lo.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  153.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  bandit.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  135.6 KB  
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 06-13-2016, 08:57 AM
BAR

Oats should be harvested fairly soon. Presume they're taking it off for grain? (as opposed to cutting it for hay/silage/forage, which in all likelihood should have already been done?)

Maybe you'll get lucky and get some of them back. They might be spotted by the combine operator(s) before they get ground up in the machine or run over, or if they're using a wide enough header and not cutting too low, the combine might just ride right over them, so long as they're not in the path of a tire. I know when I'm running combines, I'm always on the lookout for anything that shouldn't run through the machine (like rockets and rocks) or that could damage one of those $1600 and up tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox6znvFiFvw

Not sure about the weather this time of year in Oregon, but it's possible you get some of them back pretty much intact. Here's hopin' anyway.

Best of luck! OL J R
Old 06-13-2016, 03:28 PM
Master Modeler

Alas! The Willamette Valley is due for rain on and off every day this week. If I'm really lucky someone will spot the lost models today. (Still sunny.)

The two-stager was an unfinished "disposaroc," and the Lepus is easily recreated, but I'm bummed about losing that Explorer. It's actually a scratch build, from my pre-Semroc-SLS cloning program; I added the Semroc decal after the fact.

I really hope Estes comes out with a E50-x, or something along those lines. I really had hopes of making an upscale Centuri (two stage payloader), but the F15-0 and E16-0 aren't up to lifting more than very small midpower rockets.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:39 PM
Old Submariner

Perhaps a new oat cereal will come from the harvest. Ah, I can see it now:

New from Semroc Mills, "EXPLOR-O's"--for that extra boost of energy! They taste like model rocket because they're made from model rocket!*

Get a box while you can--you won't regret it! (Or maybe you will.)

*guaranteed not to contain more that 5 ppm black powder.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 06-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Born Late Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Flight video of Eff Eff Express, flight 1.

Link doesn't work for me.

My son flew his Estes Ascender on an Estes booster, F15-0 to F15-6, a couple weeks ago. Good flight — quite slow off the pad, but it went well.
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 06-13-2016, 08:16 PM
Master Modeler

Interesting, the video was "locked."

Try this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefa...eposted-public/