Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Master Modeler

Default Estes Astron Scout K-1 Price

Estes Astron Scout K-1 priced kinda high?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Estes-A...=item4cf512da4a

If this is true, I have the original plans, wire and printed gauze in the original bag.
No BT or NC.
I wonder what that would be worth?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Well, it is a pretty rare kit...................I wouldn't be too surprised if it went even higher.

Joe
Old 02-15-2011, 04:56 AM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Well, it is a pretty rare kit...................I wouldn't be too surprised if it went even higher.

Joe

I agree.

Terry Dean
Old 02-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Creator of 'STONE TREK'

If I was never going to build it - and had the financial wherewithal to do anything- I would bid on it.
70 cents?!?
That's a true collectible, even to my newbie eyes.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Estes Astron Scout K-1 priced kinda high?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Estes-A...=item4cf512da4a

If this is true, I have the original plans, wire and printed gauze in the original bag.
No BT or NC.
I wonder what that would be worth?

Well there is your answer: ~$200.00 for a re-bagged kit!

Now who says if it is opened its just a bag of parts!?

Jonathan
Old 02-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

The auction description states it is an original "pre-hangtag" kit, not rebagged. Therefore the kit is a bit more rare than you are suggesting.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactyl
The auction description states it is an original "pre-hangtag" kit, not rebagged. Therefore the kit is a bit more rare than you are suggesting.
Ya gotta read on down. He added a note saying that he had been informed that it was rebagged, and apologized for misleading. (Note was added 4 days before end of auction.)

I'm pretty sure I know who the seller was. He says his grandfather passed away recently, and indicates he lives here in the DFW Metroplex. The guy selling is ~19yo. I know it was an honest mistake, and was hopefully clarified in time.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-18-2011, 06:28 AM
Banned

Quote:

Hi Pterodactyl,

Not being an azzling here, but I make it a POINT to NEVER talk about something I don't have foreknowledge of.

In this way, this makes me a bit different than other people... you will NEVER hear me speak of brain surgery, bio-engineering, or circus juggling and many many many more topics... if I don't know what I am talking about either from former experience, education, training, or just understanding, I won't say things that won't hold water or pass a litmus test.

With all that diatribe out of the way, I made the original statement about the kit being re-bagged based on what the seller added in the auction. I make it a point of reading EVERYTHING on an auction page, and even then I want pictures clear and close-up. Most times that isn't even enough and I e-mail the seller. If it doesn't sound right, it isn't and I don't bid

Jonathan

P.s. I wasn't the one who spotted the re-bag, but I did find it odd that the mylar didn't show any 'ghosting' and that there were several inches of wasted plastic on one end. The Estes' were known for their frugal business acumen, and I am sure they wouldn't have wasted so much plastic bagging a kit. The early kits had maybe 1/2 an inch or so of material ... the amount needed to clear the bar of the heat sealer?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 AM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

Its great to do research to that extent. However perhaps you don't know that two people subsequently contacted the seller to advise him that the kit was NOT rebagged.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Its great to do research to that extent. However perhaps you don't know that two people subsequently contacted the seller to advise him that the kit was NOT rebagged.

Well that information isn't in the auction listing at the bottom in the Q&A section, nor is it in this thread.

Was it spoken about in another thread on this board or on another?

I don't read TRF ... I was banned. Rocketry Planet I don't normally read; maybe 2-3 times a year.

The only place that I frequent on a regular basis is YORS; mainly due to the discussions on kit collecting, and builds. This board seems to have more ongoing discussions about things being built than do the others.

I would like to know more about this discussion of re-bagged kits and the questions posed to the seller. Where did you attain this knowledge so that in the future I and others can be better informed?

IIRC, there have been a few discussions here about bagged-kits that many thought were merely just bagged parts or fakes, and I would like to learn more on this topic

Jonathan

P.s. The kit sure looks rebagged: Mylar very fresh, should have at least a slight 'milkiness' in the plastic, and a huge amount of unused overhang. I have few hundred early 60's kits, and not a single one of them has this much 'extra' material.

And don't get me started on the discussion of early Estes kits being stapled ... I have a few of them in their original Estes mailing containers that has them folded and then stapled