Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2017, 04:51 PM
Master Modeler

My wife drives the Van so I'll let here worry about the dust in it!

John Boren
Old 06-01-2017, 06:37 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
wasn't the one that asked about clear tubing, but glad to know the source. Will be handy if I ever get started on an upscale of my first stager, the Apogee II.

As you can imagine, the shipping on 6 foot pieces of plastic tubing is kind of high, so I bought three sizes (2, 2.5 and 3 inch) just to make it seem worthwhile - but the 2.5 inch stuff is the only one I've actually used so far. I did sell a chunk of one of them to another fellow in my area.

It may have been Dave Cook who asked me. I'll PM him (caveduck) on TRF and see.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Sounds like you have enough tubing to start a kit company specializing in models with clear payload sections!

We have a plastics company in town and a huge one in Denver, where I've bought acrylic sheet. I should see if they have clear butyrate tubing, or are distributors for someone who does.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 06-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I just got back into Colorado this morning. Not even home yet, but hanging with grandkids since my wife stayed behind. After living in the Mojave Desert when I worked at the Naval Weapons Center, Alamogordo just didn't have much appeal for her ...

I took 2nd place in the mid-power upscale contest with my Super Orbital Transport, behind John Boren's Viper. The OT had a beautiful vertical boost, glider was a bit squirrelly gliding, but better to "flutter" in than perform a nosedive into the hard desert soil. I just ran out of time and did not thoroughly test glide performance. The rocket just needs a good wipe down from all the red dust.

Congratulations on the upscale Orbital Transport!
Old 06-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Since I started this thread I thought I would give you an account of the models I made and how they flew this past weekend at NSL.

My 100+" tall duration model won the event only because I believe no other adult got off a successful flight. I very young girl there won her age division and kicked my butt time wise.

The Battle Star Galactica Viper won the mid power upscale contest and put in a perfectly straight boost and gently landing.

Either my Upscale QCC Explorer or Upscale Goblin won the High Power upscale event. I didn't hear which model it was when they made the announcement. Between these three wins I received a $175.00 in gift certificates. I redeemed the $100.00 one with Chris Rocket Supplies at the field and brought home three new DMS H motors and some rail buttons.

My Maxi Brute V2 flew well on a Dark Star F motor, and yes I had permission to fly a non certified motor at the event.

My Door Knob flew great on an Estes F15-4.

My large E BG put in two good flights on E9-4 motors but I still need to trim it more since it flies in a too tight of a circle.

My mini Scissor Wing Transport put it two PERFECT flights lasting each around 30 seconds. Perfect boost and perfect glide on both flights.

Not sure if I mentioned this or not but I flew my original prototype of the Estes SLV at NSL with a core E9-8 motor and 5 C6-7 motors. The C motors kick out at ejection. I told whomever retrieved it could keep it. I in fact gave 5 or 6 models away this way, which gave me more time to fly models. I even gave away my 101.5" duration model.

I may have missed a flight or two but I know for sure I flew 21 flights with 19 different models at NSL.

John Boren

Congratulations! wish I could have been there.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyisabar
Congratulations on the upscale Orbital Transport!

Thanks David. I was really nervous flying it, since I had some damage on a couple other rockets when they landed on really hard patches of desert soil.

I spent a lot of time on judging day just keeping my Super Orbital Transport, and other contestants models, from getting blown off the table. Not much flying that day.

My Star Orbiter flew great on Estes 29mm BP. I flew an F15-8 first, then tried the E16-6 next. The LCO launched the second flight out of order from other rockets on the rack, so I never saw it launch! I walked toward the spot where the first flight landed, and it was about 50 feet closer. LUCKY ME!
I really wanted to try the 29mm BP motors. I want to build a two-stage rocket using them, and maybe a cluster model.

I had some old 24mm and 29mm reloads from the mid-90s I flew, I just replaced the delay kit. Worked fine.

I had maybe 10 flights, not nearly what I expected, but I always take too much.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp