Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
When I lived in New Jersey, there was an Edmunds Scientific store down the way. If it could be construed to be "science," they were likely to have it. They had stuff from major manufacturers to "one-offs" from somebody/place you never heard of and never would again. Even antique and collectable instruments from the wars (pick one), like astrolabes, geiger counters, meters, gauges, etc. Fossils, bones, rocks to robots—you name it. It didn't have to be new. If it was scientific in nature, they had it.

If the rocket came from an Edmunds store—it could have come from anywhere (based on my limited experience).

With all that, I did have a '69 Centuri rocket with a soft(ish), two-part, vinyl nose cone. It's the only one I've run across, but it was not in the size range you mentioned. It was much like the red one astronwolf described above.

Thanks for your comments. It's still a great mystery to me. This nose cone was all white and all vinyl, about 8" long. As I recall, about BT-55 to BT-60ish. It had to have been injection moulded, and it was so memorable because it had a slight curve in it, so it wasn't symmetrical about its long axis. And sure enough, when it flew the nose cone had an effect..........its flight described a slow curve (before it catoed).
Old 01-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Master Modeler

OK, one last time this rocket sounds like what your describing.

Open up the link, scroll down to page five and read instruction #21

http://oldrocketplans.com/enerjet/e...etNikeSmoke.pdf

It is the Centuri-Enerjet Nike Smoke. They tell you not to paint the N/C and that it is made of a flexible type plastic. Oh, and it's long too!

Oh and it uses 'E' and 'F' motors.

BT is 1.64

After this I give up!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:15 PM
BP Mafia

My favorite is step #12: "Ream the forward hole until the tube can slide through without crushing." Reaming in the golden age of rocketry. Who knew?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-06-2014, 06:12 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
OK, one last time this rocket sounds like what your describing.

Open up the link, scroll down to page five and read instruction #21

http://oldrocketplans.com/enerjet/e...etNikeSmoke.pdf

It is the Centuri-Enerjet Nike Smoke. They tell you not to paint the N/C and that it is made of a flexible type plastic. Oh, and it's long too!

Oh and it uses 'E' and 'F' motors.

BT is 1.64

After this I give up!

You know, it just MIGHT have been that rocket. Not exactly as I remember it, and we sure didn't follow those instructions for the nose cone, but I haven't seen anything else that even comes close to what I remember. Thanks for digging that up!

Joe
Old 01-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
You know, it just MIGHT have been that rocket. Not exactly as I remember it, and we sure didn't follow those instructions for the nose cone, but I haven't seen anything else that even comes close to what I remember. Thanks for digging that up!

Joe

Don't thank me, it was the other guy who found it first. I just brought the nose cone part to your attention. Chas Russell from post #9 found it first. Everything fits and like the rest of us, unless you have a pic, details are getting harder to remember.