Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
I have bought a large number of fresh boxes of 'blast off packs' from Michael's using the 50% and 40% off coupons. Plus I was able to score quite a few packs at the Wal Marts around town for $3 a pack when they were dumping. I reckon I have about 400 to 500 motors now!

I envy those of you who have Michael's stores that stock rocket related materials. Those coupons can really make a big difference.

I usually score my B/C Estes engines through WalMart sales as well, but I still don't touch the great deals you are getting. Nice work!

Oh by the way, I'm not here just for the "olde" rocket discussions.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047
I envy those of you who have Michael's stores that stock rocket related materials. Those coupons can really make a big difference.

I usually score my B/C Estes engines through WalMart sales as well, but I still don't touch the great deals you are getting. Nice work!

I envy those with Walmarts that carry anything pertaining to modeling. No paint, no plastics, no rockets... ah well, perhaps for Xmas.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 11-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Creator of 'STONE TREK'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
There is NO reliability problem with Quest motors.

They simply ha ve a different thrust-time curve. The C6 motors made in China have a decent liftoff thrust, but it then drops way, way down and continues to burn for a LOT longer than an Estes motor.

The Chinese Quest motor will make a lightweight rocket go significantly higher than the similar Estes motor.

The Quest motors are outstanding in normal size and weight models.

If the rocekt is heavy - and by that I mean the model is anywhere near the Manufacturer's Recommended Liftoff Weight as listed by ESTES in their motor table, then the Quest motor will not be a good match as the sustaining thrust will not be enough to keep the rocket pointing upward.

There would be much less discussion about this (and a lot less negative sounding comments) on the various rocketry discussion forums if Quest would list a more useful-to-the-average-American-consumer maximum liftoff weight for their motors. And that includes a lower weight as the delay time increases. I completly understand the reluctance to label them as a C3.5 instead of a C6 because the average American consumer "knows" C6-5 and would think a C3.5 or a C4 was 'less powerful', even though the total impulse is as much or greater than the Estes C6.

So, the Quest Chinese motors are astounding great in lightweight and normal weight models as they thrust forever. Quite frankly, part ot the fun is listening to the motor burn as you watch the rocket climb, and they make that portion of the experience last much longer. So, you are getting MORE entertainment for the money.

I can't say that there's anything wrong with the Quest motors. A few folks have mentioned some performance differences.

I have launched my Agent Orange prototype, Dead Ringer/Harlequin prototype, Bullpup, Nemesis/older style Monarch hybrid & Super Bird on Quest engines, not to mention the El Dorado kitbash (Estes Menace) and the Bonestell coneship. The last two did horribly, but probably because of a plethora of problems other than the motors. The Agent Orange flies with a brute force aspect that may be due more to the big fins than anything, but it does fly. The DR/H prototype is way bottom heavy and may not have been a prime choice for the Quest motors, but I'll tell you that it flies very much like Fred mentions - getting the chance to see it go up (I ought to make one for a D motor!). The hybrid is a small rocket, so it's done very well. The Super Bird probably had a payload weight issue, but it's a Quest bird and so should do well on their own motors.

I completely understand Estes using their own motors to test their own rockets... that's what I would do, as well. Until this thread, I wasn't aware that there was a performance difference. Like so many variables in this hobby I just have to ask and listen and I'll eventually become somewhat competent enough to not destroy the Earth...
Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2047

One of the Michaels near me carries only RTF and motors at the new higher prices. The other surprised me with a decent selection of the new classic series kits.

For the foreseeable future, WalMart appears to be out of the rocket business except for the few which may still have old stock on clearance.

Bill
Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
One of the Michaels near me carries only RTF and motors at the new higher prices. The other surprised me with a decent selection of the new classic series kits.
I recently checked a Michael's the other day and they had ~11 RTF's and one E2X, all in the new boxes. I was kinda bummed. No skill required

BTW, as I recall, the E2X was misspelled as EX2 Is proofreading a lost art?

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 11-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
The Michaels near me only has the the RTF and motors. What is irritating is that the Blastoff packs contain A8-3, B6-4, C6-3, and C6-5 and the selection of 3 packs is exactly the same with the addition of A10-3T.

I used to be able to buy 1/2A3-4T, A3-4T, B4-2, B4-4, B6-2, C11-3, and D12-5 in 3 packs also but no longer.

I still buy Blastoff packs, but since the new price is $70, I wait for 50% off coupons now. $35 is still a reasonable price for 24 motors.

I have 5 unopened packs now and with the launch season coming to a close, I'm in no hurry and can wait .
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I recently checked a Michael's the other day and they had ~11 RTF's and one E2X, all in the new boxes. I was kinda bummed. No skill required

The one at 15th and Alma has the classic series kits. I have some business up in McKinney today; if I have time, I will check the store up there.

Bill
Old 11-10-2010, 07:51 AM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
I used to be able to buy 1/2A3-4T, A3-4T, B4-2, B4-4, B6-2, C11-3, and D12-5 in 3 packs also but no longer.

I still buy Blastoff packs, but since the new price is $70, I wait for 50% off coupons now. $35 is still a reasonable price for 24 motors.

I have 5 unopened packs now and with the launch season coming to a close, I'm in no hurry and can wait .

The ad this week has a 50% off coupon expiring today (Wednesday.)

Hobby Lobby prices their D12-5 packs cheaper than the D12-3, I suspect because Michaels used to carry the D12-5. They may realize the lack of competition and raise their price any day now.

Bill
Old 11-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Master Modeler

[QUOTE=jetlag] I reckon I have about 400 to 500 motors now!

Wow! That would be quite the show if you ever have a fire
Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
[QUOTE=jetlag] I reckon I have about 400 to 500 motors now!

Wow! That would be quite the show if you ever have a fire

Don't even THINK like that!!!

I doubt there would be much left of the wooden shop after something like that. I lock the door only if the I've had a fight with the other half...........just in case she gets any ideas!

Allen