Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking Jay in Skycycle #1

How do you squeeze a 6' 2" 220 lb. guy into a ****pit designed for a 5' 10" 170 lb. Hollywood stuntman? --Especially if the vehicle in question is a Skycycle with an outside diameter of 25.07"? (I know, I measured it several times the last two days.)

For starters, take the aluminum seat out!

(Photos courtesy of Engineer Craig Adams.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Jay in Skycycle 1 June 2014 01 035X.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  94.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Jay in Skycycle 1 June 2014 02 035X.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  97.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Jay in Skycycle 1 June 2014 03 035X.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  85.2 KB  
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 06-04-2014, 09:13 PM
I do not like Facebook

It will probably be smart to put your NAR number on it, just in case.

Think they will let you put Centuri and Semroc logo stickers on it?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
It will probably be smart to put your NAR number on it, just in case.

Think they will let you put Centuri and Semroc logo stickers on it?
Bill,

Now those are *excellent* ideas!
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

03 Sept 2014
Old 06-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
Two and a half years ago, I met Scott Truax, son of Bob Truax, who engineering Evel Knievel's original X-2 Skycycle. Some of the news stories I did with Scott when I was still a TV reporter are in the following thread:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=9889

I've been working part-time for Scott since February, and today (June 2nd) I officially started working for him full-time. Scott has all his father's plans, drawings, and calculations, and is in the process of building not one, not two, but THREE Skycycles.

We hope to launch on September 1st (Labor Day), 2014, but as you can see, we only have three months left to prepare. The prototype is almost completed, and today I started building the section immediately aft of the ****pit for Skycycle #2 of 3. I only drilled about 150 holes in sheet aluminium today.

Lately one of my taglines has been, "Watch the skies!"

In tribute to Bill "Wallyum" Eichelberger, I yelled, "Fishhead!" right before picture #1 below.

If you'd like to follow our progress on Facebook, search for "Return to Snake River."

Jay-

Looks like a really fun project...but like you say, a lot of work to do in a short amount of time.

Was interested to know if official names have been designated for these vehicles? As I understand (and I may be completely off memory-wise) the original two vehicles used (one test and one actual event vehicle back in '74) were called X-1 and X-2 Skycycles.

Will these new three vehicles continue with that numbering sequence? Or will it be something different or even something different than 'Skycycle' even?

In any event, good luck with the project and yes, I think many of us will be "Watching the Skies" come September.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Ask Scott if he will put a U.S. Rockets logo on it. I answered a bunch of questions for him back when he was getting started.

Jerry
Old 06-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Was interested to know if official names have been designated for these vehicles? As I understand (and I may be completely off memory-wise) the original two vehicles used (one test and one actual event vehicle back in '74) were called X-1 and X-2 Skycycles.

Will these new three vehicles continue with that numbering sequence? Or will it be something different or even something different than 'Skycycle' even?
Dear Earl,

Doug Malewicki (sp.?) designed Evel's X-1 Skycycle. Bob Truax designed the X-2 Skycycle, which we are recreating pretty faithfully, except for the improved parachute compartment (two chutes instead of one, just in case one of the two fails) and chromalloy tubing for a "roll cage" compartment for the stuntman, as well as a shock absorber assembly out front.

All three of the new ones will be designated "X-2," and our stuntman, who is funding this effort, has a name which will pay tribute to the memory of Evel Knievel. Stay tuned here for more details!

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014

Last edited by Tau Zero : 06-24-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:25 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah
Jay-- those are great pictures. Are all the rivet holes manually drilled? I wasn't sure if the sheet metal was pre-drilled in a flat state, or was drilled once formed. Interesting.
yousah,

At least some of them around the "ends" of the cylinders. On the other hand, I had to drill out the holes in the "seam" ends which meet under the "stripe" that reinforces the joint.

I had to peel "Laser film" off of some of those sheets, which had the aforementioned holes already drilled. Some of our parts are also cut using water jet cutting at 60,000 PSI, IIRC.

Thanks for asking!
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014
Old 06-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Quote:
All three of the new ones will be designated "X-2," and our stuntman, who is funding this effort, has a name which will pay tribute to the memory of Evel Knievel. Stay tuned here for more details!
Hollywood stuntman Eddie Braun has officially received the okay to use the name "Evel Spirit" for our new Skycycles.

I had lobbied for "X-2 Skycycle" as a backup name. Then as a joke I suggested "Snake Jumper." I said, "I can get ahold of the folks at SEMROC!"

But Eddie got the approval he was hoping for. Hence, "Evel Spirit."
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014
Old 06-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Ky "Rocketman" Michaelson in the house!

Photo #1: Engineer Craig Adams, Ky "Rocketman" Michaelson, and John Dunham from Second Chantz LLC compare notes on the parachute design for our three Skycycles.

Photo #2: Draftsman Russell Eggleston listens as John Dunham discusses the current parachute layout with Craig Adams.

http://www.secondchantz.com/

Yersterday I did a whole bunch of riveting, and today consisted of drilling hundreds of holes in the aluminum airframe for the pressurized steam tank on one of the Skycycles.

We also went out to lunch at the Idaho Pizza Company on Kimberly Road in Twin Falls. Ky agreed with me that barbeque sauce doesn't belong on pizza.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Craig Adams Ky Michaelsen John Dunham June 2014.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  95.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Russell Eggleston John Dunham Craig Adams June 2014.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  51.7 KB  
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

03 Sept 2014
Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
We also went out to lunch at the Idaho Pizza Company on Kimberly Road in Twin Falls. Ky agreed with me that barbeque sauce doesn't belong on pizza.

DISAGREE!!! We have a local place that does a barbecue chicken pizza. It's excellent. I ordered one a few years ago and when the waitress brought everyone elses food out, mine wasn't included.
"Sorry, they burned yours," she said, "The cheese was all brown, so I had them make you another one." Being one who happens to like brown cheese, I told her that as long as it wasn't ashes, I'd probably eat it. She brought it out and it was BEAUTIFUL!!! Perfectly done, just how I'd do it myself. I told her that and she seemed okay with it. Halfway through the meal she brought the other pizza out in a box. Not one to waste food, I had it for lunch the next day. My second favorite pizza experience, trailing only the Pizza Hut on a ski trip when the girl only charged us for one of the nine/ten/eleven pitchers of beer. Both girls got nice tips.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper