Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2008, 11:55 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWolman
I was under the impression that Centuri never made motors, that they were always made by Estes: under a licensing agreement up until Damon acquired both Estes and Centuri, and then together as the combined company.

Is this not the case? I would be surprised to hear that Centuri started making motors after Estes had been making their motors for years and that they were a combined company.

I know that I have a couple of Estes green motors, and some of the long Centuri mini motors in both blue and green.

Thanks

according to the recent interviews with Vern and Lee, Estes made Centuri's motors until '69 or so, when Estes ran out of excess production capability, and Centuri got their plant working. In '71, Damon bought Centuri, and by '74 or '75 Centuri's motors were once again coming from Penrose.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
according to the recent interviews with Vern and Lee, Estes made Centuri's motors until '69 or so, when Estes ran out of excess production capability, and Centuri got their plant working. In '71, Damon bought Centuri, and by '74 or '75 Centuri's motors were once again coming from Penrose.

And the Centuri engine making machines were scrapped. Cox also made their own motors briefly as well
Old 04-02-2008, 02:57 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Picture post requested by RD:

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Master Modeler

Ah, the good old Mark VIIbis Ion Thruster. A good thing to have when dodging Astral Pirates out by Saturn's Rings.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Picture post requested by RD:

This is a Reaction Motors,Inc XLR-11 four chamber liquid fueled rocket engine. This engine was uned in the Bell X-1 program.

This would be a great engine for the rocket being sold on ebay, and it's not green either.

This engine is on display at the Wright-Patterson Museum in Ohio.(Air Force Materials Command)

Reaction Motors, Inc. also made the XLT-99, which powered the X-15 and other motors for other rockets such as the Bullpup and the Viking
Old 04-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
This is a Reaction Motors,Inc XLR-11 four chamber liquid fueled rocket engine. This engine was uned in the Bell X-1 program.

This would be a great engine for the rocket being sold on ebay, and it's not green either.

This engine is on display at the Wright-Patterson Museum in Ohio.(Air Force Materials Command)

Reaction Motors, Inc. also made the XLT-99, which powered the X-15 and other motors for other rockets such as the Bullpup and the Viking

Two XLR-11's were also in the first X-15 because the XLR-99 wasn't ready yet..
Old 04-02-2008, 04:42 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Two XLR-11's were also in the first X-15 because the XLR-99 wasn't ready yet..
I bet that really made it XLR-8.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I bet that really made it XLR-8.

The initial testing was done in Pompton Plains NJ, and then moved to Denville NJ and Lake denmark Nj (part of Picatinny Arsenal) the test stands for both the XLR-11 and XLR-99 are still in tact.

You can also find a new XLR-99 at Edwards AFB in CA and at the Teterboro Air Museum in NJ.

Their main office and assembly plant is still intact in denville NJ off of Ford Raod and has two plaues out front.

Reaction Motors was purchaed by Thiokol and became a division of them and eventually went out of business (RMI) in 1970.

The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in washington has a few artifacts from RMI, including their first engine and first test stand.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Master Modeler

Can you imagine this in a Mosquito...........
Old 04-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Can you imagine this in a Mosquito...........

I was thinking more along the lines of stuffing it in a little Burt Rutan plane about the size of his Vari-Eze and about as light. The X-1 was a tank in comparison.