Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2017, 03:21 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Growing up in Central Ohio, our house was set back about 300 feet from the road. I want to thank the Estes and Centuri families for all the exercise I got walking back and forth checking if the mail brought an order. For you kids, it could take two WHOLE weeks by the postal service. Box here, cluster of motor tubes there. Rules then let them ship only a few motors in one parcel. Ummm, B14s... It was a time of trust (and thrust) with more than a modicum of anticipation. My first orders in 1967.

We are blessed with many fine vendors now that pride themselves in great service. Estes and Centuri set the bar back then. Carl and Sheryl of SEMROC reset it. Thank those vendors that carry the torch forward. Support our hobby.

Chas

Thank you Chas.

Sheryl
Old 07-04-2017, 04:20 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactyl

... early rocket kits lacked decals, so flags and other national insignia needed to be "borrowed" from plastic kits, cut out and glued to models, or done by hand as seen on many models in the National Collection.

Pat,

Interestingly, the first MMI kits, Aerobee Hi and Arcon, had waterslide decals. Photos of Arcon kit, and decal from Aerobee Hi kit are below.

Thread with photos of the MMI Aerobee Hi kit can be seen here.

Both Estes and Centuri offered decal sheets you could purchase in their 1964 catalogs. If Vern is still following this thread, I'd really like to know what the first kits to include decals were, and any reminiscences he has of how they started to include them, whether they outsourced them or did them in house, etc.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  AerobeeDecal.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  189.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_2550.JPG
Views: 74
Size:  137.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FullSizeRender 2.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  74.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  66.5 KB  
Old 07-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

Hey Steve,

Thanks for that clarification on the MMI decal sheet, I forgot all about the little decal sheets they had. Those really were spectacular kits with box art and graphics way ahead of their time. Obviously they were aimed at the retail market which needed some visual pizzazz to attract hobby shop customers.
There are three mint long box MMI kits (with the launch rods that the USPS liked to mangle) in the collection. We'll need to get one of those bad boys on exhibit during the next update.

I didn't see any US flag decals in either of those catalogs. Perhaps someday we can solve the mystery of who flew the first US flag on a model rocket. Maybe an early scale entry at NARAM?

Pat
Old 07-06-2017, 10:56 AM

Default Coming Soon: Stine's MPC Rockets

As many old timers will recall G. Harry Stine spent some very productive years developing an interesting line of model rockets for Model Rockets Corporation, better known as MPC.

MPC was primarily known as a manufacturer of promotional model cars and model car kits, but also branched out into a variety model genres. Wikipedia has an interesting summary of MPC's history which inexplicably ignores their foray into model rocket production. Wikipedia MPC History

While the National Collection contains many significant artifacts from the development of MPC's rocket line, what is lacking is a detailed history of the why and how of their development. Some of that story is captured in Stine's "Old Rocketeer" columns published in Model Rocketry magazine during that period, but there are many gaps. To our loss, I don't believe Harry Stine ever sat down for an oral history interview to discuss that period almost 50 years ago.

Perhaps between the MPC images from the National Collection, the printed record, and the recollections of the forum members we can fill in some of the gaps in that history.

This should be fun.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:26 AM
When Pigs Fly!

You might try a phone number search for Myke Bergenske.
His son Nik lives in Sarasota, FL
I've called and talked with Myke in the past. He could fill in the information needed.

Myke started MRI or Model Rocket Industries.
His company was bought and was the start of the MPC line of rockets.
Myke and Harry Stine worked together to develop the MPC rocketry line.

http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...rch?q=bergenske

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!

Last edited by hcmbanjo : 07-06-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:21 PM

Chris,

That is an excellent suggestion. The blog post you did regarding your conversation with Myke was very interesting as well.
Additionally Bill Stine filled in a few blanks for me today from the Fortress of Solitude in Arizona.

Here's a link to that excellent blog post about Myke and MPC.
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...s-answered.html

Last edited by pterodactyl : 07-06-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Craftsman

Pat - I have really enjoyed the history and photographs. This exhibit has really perked my interest and I am planning a trip to see my son stationed at Bremerton and coming up to check things out.
Looking forward to more model rocket history.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo

Chris,

While Quest did initially have it's motors made with the MPC/AVI/FSI 18mm motor making machine, Quest later had it's own motor making machines made.

It was one of these machines which had the accident on an Indian Reservation. After this Quest then imported motors from Germany and later China.

I visited Quest back when they were located in Pagosa, Colorado, and saw one of the motor making machines. In a recent conversation with Charlie Savoie of AeroTech/Quest he mentioned that the Quest motor making machines were at the AeroTech plant.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:44 PM

Walt-

Make sure to PM me with your dates and I'll try to grab lunch with you and show you around the MOF a bit.
That offer stands for any of you other "steely eyed missile men (or women)" visiting the Seattle area.

We are a community and this National Collection is part of each of us in some way.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactyl
Chris,

That is an excellent suggestion. The blog post you did regarding your conversation with Myke was very interesting as well.
Additionally Bill Stine filled in a few blanks for me today from the Fortress of Solitude in Arizona.

Here's a link to that excellent blog post about Myke and MPC.
http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot...s-answered.html

You could try sending him an email from here as well. His handle here is Myke. He hasn't logged on in a number of years but I'd bet his email hasn't changed. He was living in Mineral Point, WI when he registered here.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558