Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 PM
BAR

Default Model Rocketeer Magazine

Does anyone know if an effort has been made to scan and archive old issues of Model Rocketeer Magazine to DVD?
Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Does anyone know if an effort has been made to scan and archive old issues of Model Rocketeer Magazine to DVD?

You can down load them from http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/Mo...elRocketry.html
Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaninoBD

Thanks for the reply, but that link is to a scanned partial collection of "Model Rocketry" magazine (I've got those already). What I'm interested in is a scanned back issue archive of "Model Rocketeer" magazine.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 PM
rocket dinosaur

Red face

I once had a scanned archive of the 1970's Model Rocketeers from Feb 1972 to Dec 1979, but a number of disk head crashes put an end to that collection.

Terry Dean
Old 03-27-2011, 02:15 PM
BAR

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
I once had a scanned archive of the 1970's Model Rocketeers from Feb 1972 to Dec 1979, but a number of disk head crashes put an end to that collection.

Terry Dean

Thanks for the reply. I'm very sorry to learn of your drive crash & loss of data.

It would be nice if a DVD was compiled (or a website page put up) that contained an archive of maybe both "Model Rocketeer" and "Model Rocketry" back issues. Do you know anyone who would be interested in taking the lead on a project like this? My work keeps me on the road too much, so I wouldn't be able to take lead; however, I have 3 issues of "Model Rocketeer" that I'm willing to donate and mail to the individual doing the compiling / uploading. Additionally, I'm willing to make a reasonable cash donation by PayPal to aid in supporting the effort (PayPal donations could be solicited over the website - not for profit, just to pay for return postage of magazines sent in for archiving and for website upkeep or limited DVD production). It would be nice if the NAR took the lead, but most likely their volunteer staff is already stretched too thin. What do you think? Please advise. Thanks.

Jeff Estes
NAR 15301, HPR L2
MC2 / HARA / COSROCS / SCORE
Old 03-27-2011, 03:18 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Jeff, perhaps you should contact the NAR Historian, Art Nestor....? He was compiling a digital archive of NAR stuff that was to be placed on a website at some time. The entire "Model Rocketry" magazine collection is online over at Sven's fine website.

I don't know if the NARTS(?) has available all the back issues of Model Rocketeer. I borrowed somebodies collection paying postage both ways and then taking several months to copy each issue. It can be quite a job. I hesitate to contact and ask this person to allow me to do it all over again. But if nobody else steps forward I will inquire of this person again.

If there's anybody out there that has a complete collection of Model Rocketeer from Feb 1972 up to when it became American Spacemodeling I would be willing to pay postage back and forth....and spend the next several moths scanning it into .pdf.... At that point I would then submit that to the NAR Historian and then it would be up to the NAR how they want to publish it or make it available to members and non-members. They own the copyright on this material and I know they do sell some of the issues in question.

Terry Dean
Old 03-27-2011, 04:16 PM
BAR

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
Jeff, perhaps you should contact the NAR Historian, Art Nestor....? He was compiling a digital archive of NAR stuff that was to be placed on a website at some time. The entire "Model Rocketry" magazine collection is online over at Sven's fine website.

I don't know if the NARTS(?) has available all the back issues of Model Rocketeer. I borrowed somebodies collection paying postage both ways and then taking several months to copy each issue. It can be quite a job. I hesitate to contact and ask this person to allow me to do it all over again. But if nobody else steps forward I will inquire of this person again.

If there's anybody out there that has a complete collection of Model Rocketeer from Feb 1972 up to when it became American Spacemodeling I would be willing to pay postage back and forth....and spend the next several moths scanning it into .pdf.... At that point I would then submit that to the NAR Historian and then it would be up to the NAR how they want to publish it or make it available to members and non-members. They own the copyright on this material and I know they do sell some of the issues in question.

Terry Dean

Terry,
Thanks for being willing to take the lead, if no one else volunteers. As I stated before, I'm willing to contribute to offset your monetary expenses (or those of whoever steps forward). In the end, I just would like to be able to obtain a copy of the final product for my personal use and archive.

I checked the NAR website recently and confirmed that NARTS does not currently have a scanned PDF complete collection of "Model Rocketeer" and "Model Rocketry" for sale or download; however, we don't want to reinvent the wheel here. I've not had any contact with the NAR historian. If you have, and don't mind, would you please contact Art Nestor and ask him for his input. He may already have scans of the complete back issues, with plans to post or sell over NARTS. Let's continue dialog on this.

Thanks again,
Jeff Estes
Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Terry,
... I've not had any contact with the NAR historian. If you have, and don't mind, would you please contact Art Nestor and ask him for his input. He may already have scans of the complete back issues, with plans to post or sell over NARTS. Let's continue dialog on this.

Thanks again,
Jeff Estes

I believe that Art has resigned from the post as of last year. I don't know if it has since been filled.
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
I believe that Art has resigned from the post as of last year. I don't know if it has since been filled.

John,

NAR is looking for volunteers to spend all the $$$ they have in the bank!

Or perhaps, one could take the scans fron ninfinger and create a CD right now?

Jonathan
Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Banned

Terry,

Send me an E-Mail . . .

Ez2cDave@aol.com

Dave Fitch