Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Question Combo Offer: Cineroc (Cat. No. 701-RC-8) Questions...

Did anyone here actually buy the combo offer back in the days when Estes still sold the Cineroc?

I ask, as I haven't heard anything about how Estes packaged them. Were they only available from the catalog, or could you find them in your LHS?

I'm curious if the combo offer was the Cineroc (Cat. No. 701-CM-8) and the Omega (Cat. No. 701-K-52) sent in any kind of special package, or just the two together in a box mailed from them, or they'd send the Cineroc and an Omega with the payload section (Cat. No. 701-K-52P).

Were there any special instructions mailed with the combo offer, or were they the same as if you had bought them separately?

Most (if not all) Catalog photos of the Cineroc on the Omega had a decal that said CINEROC with Omega written below it located on the Omega. I've never heard of anybody getting that decal out of a K-52/K-52P, nor seen one in the photos of the Cineroc being unboxed. Was it sent with the combo offer exclusively, or not at all?

Now for a Cineroc question... I've seen footage taken with a Cineroc using a (clear plastic) a Red (or is it Orange?) and Black 18" parachutes from the 70's, and another with the (clear plastic) Red and White, and a catalog photo showing a (clear plastic) Red and Yellow one, but I've also seen a photo of one unboxed that showed it included a (white plastic) Red, White and Black and yet another with (white plastic) Red, White, and Black parachutes I remember from the 80's.

Clear Plastic, Red (or Orange?) and Black parachute

Clear Plastic, Red and White parachutes

Clear Plastic, Red and Yellow parachute

White Plastic, Red, White, and Black parachute

White Plastic, Orange, White and Black parachutes (1st image is from ejh64's site , 2nd image is a screen grab from a YouTube video)

Can we date a Cineroc (or film) by the parachute?

Thanks!
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Last edited by K'Tesh : 01-20-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Apollo Nut

The earliest Cinerocs (was first introduced in Spring, 1970) would have come with the checkerboard chutes. I recall one Cineroc sold on ebay in the past couple years with the older style chutes.

I don't know exactly when the white/orange chutes replaced the older style ones, but surely some of the more ardent Estes historians here would know. My guess would be around '73 or so, but that is just a guess.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-18-2014, 12:47 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
The earliest Cinerocs (was first introduced in Spring, 1970) would have come with the checkerboard chutes. I recall one Cineroc sold on ebay in the past couple years with the older style chutes.

I don't know exactly when the white/orange chutes replaced the older style ones, but surely some of the more ardent Estes historians here would know. My guess would be around '73 or so, but that is just a guess.

Earl

Hi Earl,

The last Cineroc that sold on ebay (the one that went for $407.55 plus $10.01 S/H) had the old checkerboard parachute too... that's it's photo in the OP.

With all the variation I've been able to document, I'm seriously beginning that you CAN date the Cineroc by the parachute.

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Last edited by K'Tesh : 01-18-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Flying since 1977

I believe that the "Sunburst" (orange and white with the black center) pattern Estes parachutes started appearing sometime in 1972 to 1973 time frame and the checkerboard 'chutes that were previously used were phased out as the inventory was used up. Probably the last Cinerocs rolled off the line in 1974. They were last in the catalog in 1976, and last appeared in catalog 761. I have not seen that version since early 1976, and AFAIK I have not seen the 761 catalog posted online. Ninfinger and Estes have only scans of the 762 catalog.

Mike Toelle

NAR 31692 L1

SAM 0373
Old 01-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

I purchased the Oemga and Cineroc together at our local Base Exchange (BX). I'm trying, but can't recall how they were packaged.

-- Roger
Old 01-19-2014, 11:28 PM
Apollo Nut

I guess my own, purely gut feel is that with the purchase of the 'combo offer' what one got was the normal boxed Cineroc and a normal bagged Omega, probably the version without the payload section. No special packaging, no special decals.

It would be good though if someone could recall specifically if this were the case.

On dates, one way to discern dates somewhat is to look at the Cineroc box. The original box had the price of $19.95 printed on it as part of the box design. Later (maybe by '72 or '73 after the price increased) that price on the printed box was pasted over with a white lable that featured the Estes logo and the Cineroc catalog number, but with no price.

I just did a quick check of Estes catalogs and see the Cineroc price increased to $21.95 in the '72 catalog. So, if you have a Cineroc and the box shows the $19.95 price, then it was made between '70 and '71 or so. If the box price has been covered by the white label, it would be a '72 or later unit, roughly.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-20-2014, 10:33 AM

I recall that my Omega included the payload section. I later built an FM radio transmitter that fit in the payload section with the wire antenna wrapped around the outside of the tube. The transmitter was designed to send audio and to later support transmitting things like the temperature by modulating an audio tone. I honestly don't recall if I ever flew it, though. I built it right around the time that I dropped out of rocketry for a while.

I bought the Omega/Cineroc combo at our BX. I recall that the price was around $25 or $30 for the set. I put in on layaway while I saved up all that money!

I only got one flight out of it before Estes stopped offering the film packs. Somewhere I still have the original developed film and a video tape with a transfer of it. The film is pretty funny with me decked out my '70s finest using our Chysler stationwagon's battery to power the launch controller. I had forgotten the blast deflector, so I layed a sheet of aluminum foil over the launch pad. That was quite effective! It blew apart and flew away as the motor ignited.

-- Roger
Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 AM

BTW ... a few years ago I bought and resold a Cineroc still in the original box. Even after all of the years that had passed, I was still amazed looking at the Cineroc. It's such an incredible design. It's one thing to build such as small, light-weight movie camera. It's quite another to be able to manufacture and sell it as a kit. And it worked! :-)

-- Roger
Old 01-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Most (if not all) Catalog photos of the Cineroc on the Omega had a decal that said CINEROC with Omega written below it located on the Omega. I've never heard of anybody getting that decal out of a K-52/K-52P, nor seen one in the photos of the Cineroc being unboxed. Was it sent with the combo offer exclusively, or not at all?

That decal was never available that I have ever seen. I even asked Herb about it years ago and he had never seen one either.

NAR #32070
Old 01-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
That decal was never available that I have ever seen. I even asked Herb about it years ago and he had never seen one either.

From what I've heard, Herb would have been the one who would have known best. It seems like they could have included it, but why they didn't who knows.

Still, I like it, and for my build, I'll be using it. Besides, Gord would probably be miffed if I didn't after all the pain I put him through on the subject.

Thanks!
Jim